SquareUp - Credit Card Processor for the Smart Phone

SarahFair

I am signing up for a craft fair and starting to think about renting a booth a farmers market every now and again..
They suggested to get a SquarUp Credi Card processor.

They are free, but I see where people have put in complaints about them.

Another thing is signing up for one..
Its asking what the use is for. Im not sure if I should choose Individual use or Art/Photo/Film.
When I do sign up for Art/Photo/Film its asking me for a business name and if I have a Tax ID..

Where are they getting theirs?

Anyone have any experience with these??
https://squareup.com/

Buck Nasty

I believe the reason it is asking for a Tax Id number is because they have to set you up with a "merchant account" which acts as the clearinghouse for the money from the customers card to your bank account. They make their money on the processing fee's, 2.75% of the transaction. This is just like the Point of Sale terminals you see in the stores, except this is mobile and wireless.

chadf

Sole proprietor
Use your SS# ....... For your tax id

There's more than one company out there, read up on them all!

chadf

Sole proprietor
Use your SS# ....... For your tax id

There's more than one company out there, read up on them all!

Huntress

Sarah, it looks like they are getting theirs either by the monthly fee or the % per swipe. It looks rather costly to me. Investigate and see what else is out there that may be a better option. I don't know but if it is gonna go into a business account for you check with your bank and see what they may offer.

cyoung

You can get on the irs website and get a tax id for a sole prop. if you dont want to use your ss#. I did it. That, as well, is free. It only takes a few minutes.

Buck Nasty

Sarah, it looks like they are getting theirs either by the monthly fee or the % per swipe. It looks rather costly to me. Investigate and see what else is out there that may be a better option. I don't know but if it is gonna go into a business account for you check with your bank and see what they may offer.

Convenience has a price.

Huntress

In researching this company, they are NOT accredited with the BBB. Use caution as the BBB already has over 200 complaints against this company for reasons related to the collection of your funds and not releasing them.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
There are several companies that have a similar device. Just remember whatever you sell you need to factor in a cost of this. It is very convienant and can open you up to more buyers but there are charges against each transaction, also from what I understand is there are monthly fees, so if its just a once here and there type of deal it might be more costly that it is worth.

Last edited:

JagMP24

Most any major credit card processors have a mobile option, typically a function via iPhones or other Smartphones. Some of these individual companies are independant sales offices for the bigger processors out there. I would just do a Google search and explore your options. Granted a lot of crdit crad processors are going to to have negatives on the internet about holding funds etc, funds are typically held when a merchant (business) processes outside of how they are approved to process.

If you see negatives on the internet check the BBB rating as that may help ease what you are seeing on the internet.

These processors will give you all the equipment you need to process for little to no cost, but make there money as mentioned above on a discount rate, which is what you will pay per transaction, monthly fees, monthly minimums etc. Also when signing up be aware that they will technically commit you to a contract ranging from 1-3 years and typically have ETF fees ranging from $100-$400 depending on the company etc.

SarahFair

Hmm..
I dont mind paying a small % fee based on single transactions.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with these

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
My wife (artist) uses the Square iPhone card reader from SquareUp and likes it. Never had any problem. It's a "per charge" fee, and it's 2.75% of the sale, which is a little lower than many others. Plug n Play, and hardware is free.

cowhornedspike

PayPal has a free reader and they charge 2.7% fee with no contract or monthly fees. You can go to your phone ap store and type in "paypal here" to download ap and then order the reader through the ap.

SarahFair

I was looking at the paypal one as I have an account with them
The down part for square up is I do not have a bank account (and dont really want one)

bigreddwon

Hmm..

I use it and I love it. No monthly fee. If you do trade shows then have down time between shows you don't pay a dime until your next swipe. Its not free but its worth it IMO.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Hmm..

I use Square for my business.

I originally went to the bank who handles my business account. I didn't like what they had to say, keeping this short, and I looked into Squareup.

I have a Android and it's very convenient for me to use my phone at a customers house to swipe a credit card.

There is a small % fee to swipe a card and a bit larger fee to enter a credit card number into my phone to complete the transaction.

The money is automatically transferred into my account the next business day.

I don't charge my customers extra for small service charges, because the amount Square takes is worth the convenience of not having to take a check to the bank, deposit it, etc.....

On larger transactions, I ask my customers which form of payment they would prefer. When I say larger transactions, I'm talking about $300+, and if they say they want to pay by CC, I tell them about the surcharge to use a CC.

Most of my customers don't mind, and pay the surcharge in those cases.

Square has worked for me so far, and it's really helped me out with late paying customers. I can now call them over the phone and tell them they can pay with a CC, and they don't hesitate!!!;) All I need from them is the CC #, the security code, exp date, and billing zip code.

Basically Square has helped fill a small niche in my business that needed to be filled. My business doesn't revolve around CC transactions, so this is why I like Square. It's not designed for such applications, at least I don't think.

It's more of a convenient way to for some of my customers to pay me. And like I stated before, it's made my life much easier collecting money from people who don't like to pay their bills.;)

I still take checks, and most of my customers prefer to pay that way still.

bigreddwon

I would lean toward paypal.

Paypal hasn't released the one they are marketing yet. I'm signed up to get one when they release them. I use paypal a bunch, looking forward to getting mine.