Credit card fraud question

Robert28

My credit card I have through my credit union is set to expire this month. I rarely use this card (just enough to keep it open) but I stay on top of it to make sure no fraud charges or strange charges happen with it. I’ve been noticing a whole bunch of weird charges randomly happening all of a sudden in the past week (4 just this weekend!). I find that weird because I’ve never had a problem but yet the month it’s set to expire and I get a new card all these random charges start happening. I’m going tomorrow to find out what the deal is and if I have to cancel the card or what the process is. One random charge last week was “pending” but never got posted, it just up and disappeared the next day. Anyone else experience anything like this?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Fraud Phone Number is on the card.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Dispute the charges as unauthorized, they’ll cancel the card and issue you a new one. You won’t have to pay for those charges you didn’t authorize.

Lilly001

I have had pending charges, usually at a gas station, along with the appropriate charge for the purchase.
The pending disappears when the appropriate charge clears, usually within a couple days.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

BeerThirty

One of our cards gets hacked every 3-5 years. It's sad, I know.

As soon as you notice the charges, you need to call right away before it snowballs into something larger. Most of the time, it's just one or two fraudulent charges that really aren't too expensive. The bank cancels the card and issues a new one to us. The charges go away and we never hear anything about it again.

Also, most credit cards you can setup alerts that you get text messages whenever a charge is made. If you don't use it much, this might be a helpful feature to you to notify you if this were to happen again.

Robert28

I’ve already canceled the card through visa. They said I’ll need to talk to my credit union to dispute the charges. Two are for over $400 and another for $600. Not gonna fly with me, I don’t shop at the stores that showed up and my credit history proves it. I just find it very shady that a card I barely use all of a sudden has fraud charges the same month I’m to be issued a new card because the date expires.

Robert28

One of our cards gets hacked every 3-5 years. It's sad, I know.

As soon as you notice the charges, you need to call right away before it snowballs into something larger. Most of the time, it's just one or two fraudulent charges that really aren't too expensive. The bank cancels the card and issues a new one to us. The charges go away and we never hear anything about it again.

Also, most credit cards you can setup alerts that you get text messages whenever a charge is made. If you don't use it much, this might be a helpful feature to you to notify you if this were to happen again.
I don’t have the ability to set up an alert but I do have an app through my credit union I can check my account and see pending charges. It supposedly has the ability to turn the card on and off on the app but reports suggest that doesn’t always work. I’d love to be able to turn it on and off as I used it simply by logging into the app and tapping a button.

trial&error

Pending charges that disappear are an indication that they are trying to use your card. Your bank should have called you by now. Make sure they have your number. It happens to all of us from time to time.

sghoghunter

Pending charges that disappear are an indication that they are trying to use your card. Your bank should have called you by now. Make sure they have your number. It happens to all of us from time to time.

If I go somewhere out of the normal and use my card the fraud department calls to make sure I was the one using it. They called one night a few yrs ago when I was out of town and I hit the wrong button by mistake and they shut my card down and was a pain to get it activated again that night

Latest posts