When do you add more fertilizer

comallard

We planted our plots last weekend, have been getting great rain this weekend, at what point would you add more fertilizer? If you did add more fertilizer what would it be? 13x3 or all nitrogen?

joshg-bowhunter

i like to put out 50-100 lb straight nitro on my wheat and oats once i get a good stand about 6-8" tall. makes it jump up and look pretty and green

Forest Grump

We planted our plots last weekend, have been getting great rain this weekend, at what point would you add more fertilizer? If you did add more fertilizer what would it be? 13x3 or all nitrogen?

How much fertilizer did you put to begin with, & did you do a soil test? If you fertilize according to the soil test you dont need more.

i like to put out 50-100 lb straight nitro on my wheat and oats once i get a good stand about 6-8" tall. makes it jump up and look pretty and green

Why do you want your cereal grains up so? You are not producing a crop (for a food plot). The ideal is to have it no more than 4" tall all winter. In a REALLY intensively managed food plot system, you fertilize with 50# of ammonium nitrate(or equivalent) in spring, to spike the protein, just before you kill it with herbicide to release clover & chicory. That is far more than the typical hunter is doing, mostly just research work. Even then, you want your cereal grains to stay in a juvenile, growth stage as long as possible. Deer don't like to feed on tall, developed grains, & once they go into exponential growth stage, deer virtually abandon them, as digestibility drops precipitously.

1gr8bldr

I agree with not rushing it to maturity. But rule of thumb about fertilizer put "over" rather than harrowed in or liquid sprayed fertilizer, it needs to be done right before a light rain. It evaporates, the nitrogen, quickly. But a hard rain could dilute it and run off. It is best to do it up front. I'm in the same position, I did not do it to begin with so I will put some over soon. I might look into the liquid.

Killdee

I have often heard the recommendation of 300#triple 13 per acre if you didnt get a soil sample, cut in prior to planting. Thats what I do and maybe a bit more W/O a sample and I'm good for the season. I have put a little Ammonia Nitrate on top before a rain on a plot that was gnawed to the ground late in the season, but usually nothing.

dick7.62

My UGA soil test recommend fertilizing at planting but with 1/2 the nitrogen at that time. Then apply the rest of the nitrogen later. I will use ammonium nitrate later. My plots are 2 winter grains and 3 legumes. My UGA recommendations worked out to 300lbs/acre of 8-20-10(custom mixed) containing 1/2 the nitrogen. I used a little more than 300#/acre.

Killdee

Thats interesting, I guess since nitrogen degrades fairly quickly or is used quicker is the reasoning for spliting up the nitrogen supply.

Forest Grump

Thats interesting, I guess since nitrogen degrades fairly quickly or is used quicker is the reasoning for spliting up the nitrogen supply.

Or sandy soil, so it leaches the N out;

or when planting brassicas, or other heavy N feeders it may be recommended in your soil test, but generally I have seldom found it necessary, other than in coarse sand: some of those spots you would begin to get some yellowing a couple months after planting & a little N boost would green them up; esp. if the pH is acidic.

GA DAWG

I put some extra out Sat morning. Then we got a bunch of rain yesterday. It looks like they have grown an extra 6" today only. These are greens patches only. They need extra nitrogen. Dern I may have to sell em this winter:)

01Foreman400

Staff member
If you have the money, a slow release fertilizer will last for several weeks.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
How much fertilizer did you put to begin with, & did you do a soil test? If you fertilize according to the soil test you dont need more.

Agree. Instead of more fertilizer plant your seed with a good quality seed coat. I'm on my second year with this stuff:

http://www.cooperseeds.com/deer.php3?cat=seedcoat

I planted Labor Day weekend and my plots are all thick as fleas on a dog's back. No need to fertilize anymore this year.

Killdee

Seems like a lot of work to sit down and put a lil coat on every seed...
Thanks for the tip E, I may dress all my seeds next year.

GA DAWG

I don't see how anything could out grow what I've planted this yr. Beats all. These green plots are knee high. I Musta got super greens. Deer ain't touched em. I knew it would be later in the yr before they hit him. Bout mid dec they should be good.

Killdee

I planted my big plot and put an exclusion fence up 6 days later,6 days after that you can see about a 2" difference inside the fence.