How long will fertilizer keep?

davel

I have some fertilizer in a large tote bag that is a couple years old. I had a custom mix made and didn't use it all. It has been stored inside but not air tight. Is any of this still good? Hate to waste it and would like to add it to some bagged fertilizer that I will put out this weekend. I have noticed some moisture coming out of it over time.
Thanks.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Its going to be a brick but nothing wrong with it

Yep, what he said.^ I got two year old triple 13 stored in a ziploc that I used on my raised bed veggies this year. Worked bettern' a charm.

davel

Yep, what he said.^ I got two year old triple 13 stored in a ziploc that I used on my raised bed veggies this year. Worked bettern' a charm.
This is in a large tote bag that isn't sealed though. I was worried the nitrogen wouldn't be good.

davel

You'll lose some but it'll still be fine other than being a solid block
Surprisingly, it's not that bad. I have a spreader with an agitator that I bought to spread ag lime. I really didn't want to use it for fertilizer but I think it will work much better than my 3pt cone spreader. It bridges bad if there is any humidity or moisture.

davel

I tend to over think things so I wanted to ask...I wanted to seed my plots then bushhog to let the dead vegetation help cover the seed. Since it's been so dry will the bushhog blow the seed around?

B. White

I've kept it in an insulated pole barn a couple of years, both opened and unopened. I did roll the tops down on anything that was opened and never could tell any difference between what I just opened. Storing under a shed in the open air would probably be a different story.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I've kept it in an insulated pole barn a couple of years, both opened and unopened. I did roll the tops down on anything that was opened and never could tell any difference between what I just opened. Storing under a shed in the open air would probably be a different story.
Yep

Ihunt

Congrats if it isnt a brick. It never works out for me. Turns to rock. I think it’s the nitrogen “melting”. I assume if there’s little to no nitrogen that it would be less likely to solidify.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As long as it doesn't get wet enough to leach the nutrients out, it'll keep for a long, long time, like almost indefinitely.

specialk

yep keep it dry, we almost have carry over every year....

specialk

my granddad made a wooden maul/hammer to bust up fert and lime that would get hard over night or a few days, they were good about keeping it dry though....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You'll lose some but it'll still be fine other than being a solid block
I concur. Just go a little bit heavy on the application and you should be good to go.