Gun Stock maker's seminar in Atlanta

CK'n

Got a call Friday evening from the program director of the Georgia Woodworkers Guild (I am a member) asking me to fill in for the next meetings presenter. The presenters for Monday just called and said they can't make it. The meeting is for this Monday at 6:30. Short notice!

Since I volunteered some time ago to do this,...welll it just showed up. Please come and see one way to make a gun stock from scratch. I use no power tools beyond a band saw to outline the stock. Since the meeting is at Ga Poly tech, and there are laws about firearms on schools and campuses, my metal parts are going to be limited pretty much to Black Powder muzzle loaders. I will have some modern firearm variations to show and certainly talk about. After all, there is not a lot of difference in HOW you go about making the two.

The presentation is broken up into 2 parts. First is aimed at beginners or those not familiar to stock making. I will be covering tools; their uses, how to shape them, and hopefully what to be aware of when you go buy some. What kind of wood you want to and/or don't want to use and some of the advantages/problems with different species. Then on to how to preserve, restore, etc. old parts including a unique way of removing oxidation, even in pits. There will a break and then on to part 2, shaping wood.

First part of that will cover basics like layout. Then on to inlaying parts, shaping the outside, preparing for finishing, finishing, and hopefully time for a quick checkering demo.

This has to be accomplished in less then 2 hours! yipes .... I'll do my best.

Even with this very short notice, please accept my invitation to join us as my guest.

And the website for directions: (if it still show luthiers, - please ignore, Paul hasn't changed it yet) http://www.woodworkersguildofga.org/index.shtml

Hope to see you there,
Chris

Lostoutlaw

Chris sorry pal but then I'm not worth a dang on wood working. use to be but not any more...would love to make a custom fore arm for my marlin 35 lever but just ain't good enough.

Danny