Ammo for the wife

fishnfool

My wife and daughters will be tagging along some this year so what is the smallest 12 ga shell to shred a Turkey's head?
I have some Remington 2 3/4" 1330fps 1 1/4oz #6 that patterns really good from my gun. Will it have a problem killing Turkey's?
I know it will be a 30yd max ammo but it is easy on their shoulders.
I wish I had a 20 ga for them but I don't and not going to buy one until I know they enjoy it.
How bad does the hevi 13 2 3/4" kick?

sman

Never shot it but I imagine like a high brass field load.

Do you have a 20? They now have some good loads, that get great results.

trkyhntr70

try the hevi 13 2 3/4 it will kick alot less and give you alot more range and energy than thhe lead; Ive found some really good deals on them too.

Killdee

Aw just let em practice with a light load and slip a turkey load in for the hunt,I never notice how a gun kicks when I'm shooting Tom's.

bull0ne

Banned
Federal heavyweight is a tungsten blend of some sort they've come up with. Heavier by volume than hevishot and it comes in 2 3/4 inch loadings.

Guns weight being the variable, 3 inch turkey loads out of a 20 guage and 2 3/4 inch loads out of a 12 guage rank about the same on recoil tables I've looked at online. With noticed recoil being less out of a heavier 12 guage gun I'd imagine. That's what I'm thinking anyway, but I've not shot them as of yet.

With beginners, I'd definitely get the weakest dove loads possible and have them practice from genuine field hunting positions. All scrunched up at the base of a tree isn't a very good position to begin with, and practice might make the difference between success and failure this spring.

Reminex

Although 12ga fed heavyweight doesnt get near the attention as the 20 gauge loads, i tried some 12ga #7's and was very pleased. The 3" load was very easy on the shoulder. Not near as bad as copper-lead. If your stuck on trying 2 3/4 i have something that would be perfect, if your ever around macon ill give you a box of 10.

JimLandt

If those shells you have pattern that well, they'll work just fine, and probably out to 40 yards, as long as they pattern well that far. People were killing turkeys just fine with loads just like those, well before specialty turkey loads came out on the market. At 1330 fps, those #6 pellets will have more energy than a lot of turkey loads.