New Remington 870 ?????

GregoryB.

Has anyone tried the new 870 since the Remington bankruptcy relaunch ? Thinking of getting a new 20ga 870 for most of my hunting needs. After a year long shoulder injury I have no desire to shoot my 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge Super Mag with turkey loads.

Robert28

I haven’t seen one in person but I’ve watched alot of videos of people who’ve bought them. They’re improved quality from when they were making the 870 express but I got the feeling that they still aren’t close to what the 870 used to be. I have an 870 from the 90’s and one from 2018, night and day difference. I had to put in some upgraded parts to the newer one to make it as good as the older one. For me though, the price of the new new ones is too high. I’d just assume go buy a 500 or Winchester sxp.

WishboneW

Has anyone tried the new 870 since the Remington bankruptcy relaunch ? Thinking of getting a new 20ga 870 for most of my hunting needs. After a year long shoulder injury I have no desire to shoot my 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge Super Mag with turkey loads.
You might try Winchester 2/34” copper plated # 5 or 6.

I have shot them out of my 870 supermag with good results. Dead birds don’t care what shell you use.

Turkeys hate an 870.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Buy you a Past Recoil shield.
I bought the Magnum after my shoulder surgery last year, and I shoot my .444 with no pain.

Give it a thought.

Fishin & Hunting

I will never buy another gun from Remmington. Bought a V3 shotgun from the second company to own Remmington. Had issues with it and they did an excellent job correcting them. Two years later the gun malfunctioned and caused the bolt to self destruct. At the time no one had the bolt for sale, everyone was out of stock. Waited some years for the third company to own Remmington to get back up and running. Now they are still selling the V3, but they won't sell me the parts I need to repair the gun. I don't have a problem with them not honoring the warranty, I didn't expect them too, but sell me the parts.

frankwright

I would pony up the cash and find an older Remington in great condition.
My hunting partner found an old Wingmaster ,like new, on Gunbroker and he loves it.
Paid more than he could have had a new one but beautiful fit and finish.
For turkeys and older express would work.

Gator89

I will never buy another gun from Remmington. Bought a V3 shotgun from the second company to own Remmington. Had issues with it and they did an excellent job correcting them. Two years later the gun malfunctioned and caused the bolt to self destruct. At the time no one had the bolt for sale, everyone was out of stock. Waited some years for the third company to own Remmington to get back up and running. Now they are still selling the V3, but they won't sell me the parts I need to repair the gun. I don't have a problem with them not honoring the warranty, I didn't expect them too, but sell me the parts.

As a shot in the dark, sign up on Midwest Gun Works to be notified if/when they get a bolt in stock.

transfixer

I would pony up the cash and find an older Remington in great condition.
My hunting partner found an old Wingmaster ,like new, on Gunbroker and he loves it.
Paid more than he could have had a new one but beautiful fit and finish.
For turkeys and older express would work.

There are a few wingmasters on the trader site currently, in very nice condition, none of them are mine unfortunately , my first shotgun was a 20ga wingmaster, wish I still had it

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't trust Remington the last couple decades. It's a shame. They used to be top notch. Now their shells won't even go off half the time.

Robert28

I don't trust Remington the last couple decades. It's a shame. They used to be top notch. Now their shells won't even go off half the time.
I don’t mess with Remington ammo either. Shotgun shells im usually Fiocci for steel shot or certain types of Winchester for doves

Reactions: Dub

ScLowCountry

I've seen both the wood and synthetic fieldmaster. The finish is slightly better than the express. The wood is far better than the express. The synthetic forend is ugly and cheap looking. Otherwise it feels about the same.

Robert28

I've seen both the wood and synthetic fieldmaster. The finish is slightly better than the express. The wood is far better than the express. The synthetic forend is ugly and cheap looking. Otherwise it feels about the same.
Are they still using a mim extractor and plastic follower and trigger guard? Those are the 3 things I upgraded on my 870 express I bought in 2018.

Reactions: Dub

GregoryB.

I forget that I got my Wife a compact 870 20ga in 2012. She doesn’t shoot it anymore since she had 2 shoulder surgeries that didn’t work. May try it out , might need to get a a full length stock since I am 6ft 1 .

transfixer

I forget that I got my Wife a compact 870 20ga in 2012. She doesn’t shoot it anymore since she had 2 shoulder surgeries that didn’t work. May try it out , might need to get a a full length stock since I am 6ft 1 .

I'm 6ft, and the youth model 870 20ga fits me fine, especially if you're wearing a coat, I don't think it will be an issue . one thing I've noticed with it is recoil is more than you would think ? I guess because its a relatively light shotgun ?

GregoryB.

I pulled it out of the safe this morning. It’s fits OK. Put a put a fiber optic vent rib sight on it. World of difference over the brass bead. Need to find the wood stock and fore arm that it came with, currently has Mossy Oak pink camo on it. Will try it with a few turkey loads.

frankwright

I bought a 870 youth 20ga Express a bunch of years ago. The first time I shot it with a full turkey load I was surprised at how hard it kicked.
I eventually put the fancy synthetic pistol grip turkey stock and forend on it.
I sold the laminated stock set it came with. I am sorry I did that as they are really hard to find now and expensive.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Hogue Overmolded replacement are reasonable and available in a couple of different LOP configurations for an 870.

I have an older Knoxx on my 20ga 870 Express that I would trade for a standard synthetic stock and screw. I just need to look at the ser # to see if it is the large or small version receiver on it.