.410 loads

Burritoboy

What do y'all use?

My nephew is wanting to go and I am wanting to take him. He is big enough to shoot a 20, but he is not as comfortable with it. I want him to enjoy the hunt and not have any anxiety over the gun he is shooting. The tradeoff in the ethical killing range is obvious though.

I have also thought about getting some low brass 20 loads to let him practice with and gain confidence in, then slipping in a hevi-13 on the hunt. There's no way that he will notice the recoil when a bird is in his face. There is also no way to effectively explain that to him, it's one of those things you just have to experience.

If I knew of a .410 load that was effective at 30 yards, I would be all over it. What load have you fellows used in the past in this situation.

icdedturkes

SOme of the guys are loading up 40 yard loads for the 410..

But if you are stuck to factory loads, buy some 3 inch 7.5s.. I shot my Stevens SXS Full and Full a few years back with both rem and estate 3 inch 7.5s.. Both barrels at 25 yards placed over 100 in a 10 inch.. Thinking it was around 120ish..

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The plan on using low brass 20s is a good one. Let him practice with doubled-up hearing protection, plugs and muffs. The blast for a first time shooter can overwhelm and make the recoil experience seem worse. Does the 20 have a recoil pad? If not, a slip on, if he can still handle the gun would also help. In the field, you load the gun and then do the switchero. Lie if necessary as to what you put it the gun. ;)
I hand load 13/16 oz. of TSS 9s for my .410. It is a bonafide 40 yard gun with 108 pellets in the 10" ring. If using factory loads, keep the range 25 yards which can be done with decoys.

hawglips

Banned
With a .410, the reason it's range is so much less than a 12 gauge, is pellet count. So, if you're using something as big as #4 lead, you are exacerbating the problem. Your pellets have way more energy than your gun can put together into a viable pattern. In order to maximize the gun's effectiveness, you need to match up the pattern viability with pellet energy as best you can. Shooting #6s lead is better, and #7-1/2 is better still. But you're still only going to have about 25 yds real range.

However, there is such thing as a 40 yd .410 setup, but it's shooting you-know-what.

Here's a 40 yd .410 pattern from pellets with the energy of lead #4s. Lots of turkeys are going to be killed at 12 gauge ranges by this load in 2013.

pattern410T9Savagefullchoke_zps21afc965.jpg

Killdee

I agree, slip a turkey load in the 20 after allowing him to shoot some light low brass stuff with his shoulder well padded. TSS in the .410 is a different story.

deast1988

Fed 2 3/4 in managed recoil heavyweight #7s in the 20ga think there 1 1/8oz not as much kick in them but still good to 30yds or so. Trick is figureing out the choke. But they will be more versitile over trying to load up some TSS or trying to get one so close with the .410. I like close but too close bad things happen. If they break 40 I'm trying to choot.

JimLandt

Just checked. Think I was wrong on that.

They just changed it in the regs in the last couple of years to offer more youth opportunities.

If he absolutely doesn't like the 20, you might try the Winchester Super-X High brass in 4's or 6's. 3" shells, 3/4 oz. 1100 fps, if your gun shoots 3". Sportsman's Guide has 'em for $15/box of 25.

icdedturkes

They just changed it in the regs in the last couple of years to offer more youth opportunities.

If he absolutely doesn't like the 20, you might try the Winchester Super-X High brass in 4's or 6's. 3" shells, 3/4 oz. 1100 fps, if your gun shoots 3". Sportsman's Guide has 'em for $15/box of 25.

Them 4s are only giving the kid 101 pellets.. Most consider 100 in a 10 ring a minimum.. Whereas the 7.5 is gonna give him 258 pellets and will have all the penetration needed to kill at the ranges the 410 is limited too.

hawglips

Banned
Them 4s are only giving the kid 101 pellets.. Most consider 100 in a 10 ring a minimum.. Whereas the 7.5 is gonna give him 258 pellets and will have all the penetration needed to kill at the ranges the 410 is limited too.

The energy/pattern gap is one that most folks don't consider at all, or don't understand. But it's what you have to think about when you're trying to figure out how to maximize peformance of whatever set up.

JimLandt

Probably true even at 25 yards, which should be about the max for .410. Good point.