Pope offends (militant?) Muslims

GeauxLSU

Are you kidding me? The first sentence of this article is hysterical.

Pope remark offends Muslim leaders By Ahmad Pathoni
Fri Sep 15, 5:16 AM ET

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Pope Benedict's comments about Islam could hurt global religious harmony, government and religious leaders in the world's most populous Muslim countries said on Friday.

A growing chorus of Muslim leaders have called on the Pope to apologize for the remarks he made in a speech in Germany on Tuesday when he used the terms "jihad" and "holy war."

Pakistan's National Assembly, parliament's lower house, unanimously passed a resolution condemning the Pope's comments.

"This statement has hurt sentiments of the Muslims," the resolution said. "This is also against the charter of the United Nations. This house demands the Pope retract his remarks in the interest of harmony among different religions of the world."

Pakistan is the world's second most populous Muslim nation after Indonesia.

Islamic scholars say the Pontiff's comments show how little he understands Islam and some have said Islamic countries should threaten to break off relations with the Vatican.

The Vatican issued a statement to say the Pope had never meant to offend Islam.

In his speech at the University of Regensburg, Benedict quoted criticism of Islam and the Prophet Mohammad by 14th century Byzantine Emperor Manuel II Palaeologus, who wrote that everything Mohammad brought was evil and inhuman, "such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

Benedict repeatedly quoted Manuel's argument that spreading the faith through violence is unreasonable, adding: "Violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul."

The reaction was swift.

"It is obvious from the statements that the Pope doesn't have a correct understanding of Islam," said Din Syamsuddin, chairman of Muhammadiyah, the second largest Islamic organization in Indonesia.

Syamsuddin told Reuters the remarks could hurt "harmonious" relations between Muslims and Catholics and urged Muslims against reacting excessively.

"Whether the Pope apologizes or not, the Islamic community should show that Islam is a religion of compassion," he said.

Fauzan Al-Anshori, spokesman for the radical Indonesian Mujahideen Council, said the Pope misunderstood Islam and jihad (Islamic holy war or struggle) and challenged him to a dialogue.

"Muslims can't eliminate jihad from the Islamic discourse, the same way Christians can't do away with the doctrine of Trinity," he said.

The Vatican press office said the Pope had not intended to carry out an in-depth study of jihad and Muslim thinking about it, "even less to offend the sensitivity of the Muslim faithful."

TOLERANT RELIGION

Washington's response to September 11, invading Afghanistan and Iraq and tightening civil freedoms as part of a wider "war on terror," has created a widespread feeling among Muslims worldwide that their religion is under attack.

A row earlier this year over Danish cartoons that depicted the Prophet Mohammad deepened the sense of a divide between Islamic culture and the West.

Indonesia's Anshori said the recent surge in Muslim radicalism was a response to America's "crusade" against Muslims.

"We believe in respect for each other, freedom for Muslims to practice Islamic teachings and for Christians to practice their religion," he said.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit said he was worried the Pope's statements might upset efforts to bring about a rapprochement between West and East.

"He (Aboul Gheit) said he looked forward to intensifying efforts to strengthen the dialogue between civilizations and religions and to avoid anything that is likely to exacerbate confessional and ideological differences," an Egyptian foreign ministry statement said.

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said that anyone who felt that Islam was intolerant or Islam spread through use of force showed ignorance.

"Statements of this nature are very unhelpful in the efforts that we are making to bridge the gap and promote understanding between different religions," he added.

In New Delhi, Syed Ahmed Bukhari, the chief cleric of the historic Jama Masjid, India's largest mosque, extolled Muslims to respond to the Pope's comments.

"No Pope has ever tried to attack the glory of Islam like this Pope," Bukhari said to chants of "Allah-hu-Akbar" (God is Great) by thousands of worshippers at the sprawling mosque.

"Muslims must respond in a manner which forces the Pope to apologize," he added after Friday prayers. He did not elaborate.

(Additional reporting by Zeeshan Haider in Islamabad, Kamil Zaheer in New Delhi, Jonathan Wright in Cairo)

Jasper

Who really cares what the muslim extremist terrorists think? :banginghe

GeauxLSU

We have global religious harmony??? Where?? Since when??? :huh: :huh:
That's why I mentioned the hillarity in the first sentence.

Apparently this has caused quite a stir amongst the peaceful Muslims. Sure hope a bunch of folks don't die in their quest to prove their peacefulness.....

Dawg In the Swamp

:eek: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Headshot

Where is the "peaceloving - tolerant" Muslim's outrage when other Muslims violently kill innocents?

(To my knowledge, that kind of outrage against violence doesn't happen. That inaction then tells me it is not an organization/cult/religion of peace.)

May God bless Pope Benedict!

JM $0.02

Last edited:

Lostoutlaw

Who Cares What the Stupid Muslims Think or say about the Pope ..... He only answers to one the highest the almighty GOD!!!!!

GeauxLSU

Heard on the news they fire bombed some Christian churches because they were mad the Pope suggested they weren't peaceful..... Ok........ :rolleyes:

You know they hate it, buts its the way it is. I know they will eat pork when they are hungry. God Bless our troops!

Dawg In the Swamp

Oh just people looking for an excuse for outrage and violence.

GeauxLSU

I guess murdering the nun who worked in the Children's hospital proves they are peaceful and not violent.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
You know now folks will be going to say its the Pope's fault.

Randy

Nope. The Pope himself said it was his fault and has now appologized. When will the people in this world wake up.

GeauxLSU

I admit, I have now done a 180 on my view of Islam. A few years ago, I used to think that the "militant extremists" were a minority. "Extremist" in fact implies a minority. Given the silence and in some case flat out endorsement of the barbaric acts these nut cases pull off daily, by their religous leaders, it would appear in fact that the 'extremists' within Islam are the handful of peaceful Muslims, if in fact there are ANY. I guess their book is clear, recruit by the sword.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I can't believe the Pope has caved and apologized.

The statement was the truth, even though he was quoting from statements made by a much earlier Pontiff. His apology basically denies the truth about Islam.

GeauxLSU

Jeff Young said:
I can't believe the Pope has caved and apologized.

The statement was the truth, even though he was quoting from statements made by a much earlier Pontiff. His apology basically denies the truth about Islam.
I can only assume he didn't want more blood on his hands but absolutely no doubt he should NOT have apologized for quoting another man who spoke the truth. It's in THEIR book for crying out loud.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
I can only assume he didn't want more blood on his hands but absolutely no doubt he should NOT have apologized for quoting another man who spoke the truth. It's in THEIR book for crying out loud.

Think about the position he is in, although I wish that he had not done it (apologized) he is a christian leader and not a political leader, maybe even the more so to speak out, I dont know, I also dont know what God may have told him to do either, like someone said in an earlier post he answers to God.

Randy

I also dont know what God may have told him to do either, like someone said in an earlier post he answers to God.

Now that is somthing to think about. Either he did not hear God, or he did not understand God or something. Do you imagine God said "go say this" and then God changed His mind and said "go take it back." I hope God tells him to come talk to the Demos in this country.