HVAC 14 or 15 S.E.E.R.?

Chum

I'm in the market for a new AC unit for my 2500 square foot (Aprx.) home. I've had a few companies come out and give me quotes on a new unit, but the prices vary quite a bit. I've had quotes from $6800 for 15 SEER 5 Ton unit to $4900 for a 14 SEER 5 Ton unit (including the air handler and everything else). So is there really that much a difference between 1 SEER in efficiency or am I missing other variables that determine the price difference?

Lukikus2

The 14 seer will probably cost you $100 more to run a year than the 15. Not worth the difference IMHO.

Chum

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I think the unit I am replacing was rated at 10 SEER or something close...I should see a big increase in efficiency either way...

sinclair1

I would go with the 14 and look into putting $500 in insulation or what even else can help with efficiency.

hobbs27

If it takes 5 ton to condition 2500 feet, you are in more need of insulation and Windows than seer upgrades. That sound way oversized to me.

hobbs27

You may want to contact your electric company and see if they will do an energy audit for you. They may be offering some good rebates also.

Chum

We've already had extra insulation added to our roof a few years ago, and I wish there was an easier way to add more to my western facing walls (where the bed room is). My house is a little complicated. It's actually 2 stories, but we live on the second floor. We added a 3 ton unit to the down stairs a few years ago which is around 2500 sqft and I guess the upstairs is closer to 3500 sqft with the enclosed porch which is also temperature controlled...plus we have pretty high ceilings.

I had another company come out and give me a quote this evening. He spent a little more time with me going over ways that he can help balance out my system and make it more comfortable and efficient over all. It would cost a little more (rearranging duct work, adding a few supply vents and replacing the ones I have, etc), but he brought up a lot of good points that the other guys completely over looked.

Still a lot to think about...

hobbs27

We have come a long way in the ductless split systems too. I'm not sure if this is possible in your home, but they can zone several evaporators off one condensor now very efficient with invertor compressor technology.

Chum

We have come a long way in the ductless split systems too. I'm not sure if this is possible in your home, but they can zone several evaporators off one condensor now very efficient with invertor compressor technology.

I don't think a split system would work for my upstairs, but I wish I had gone that route for my downstairs unit.

Chum

Finally made up my mind. I decided to go with the company that was closest to my target price for the 14 SEER AC unit and air handler, plus they are going to upgrade my unit from a 5 ton to a 5.5 ton unit and add a few vents to help balance the house at no additional cost.

hobbs27

Finally made up my mind. I decided to go with the company that was closest to my target price for the 14 SEER AC unit and air handler, plus they are going to upgrade my unit from a 5 ton to a 5.5 ton unit and add a few vents to help balance the house at no additional cost.

I've never heard of one . Hope it goes in and works great for you, it is a lot for a homeowner to stress over.

Chum

I've never heard of one . Hope it goes in and works great for you, it is a lot for a homeowner to stress over.

Thanks, the one its replacing has been a HUGE headache from day one. It was installed improperly and the condensation water leaked all through my new construction drywall which needed to be replaced. We got a full 10 year warranty out of it, which we absolutely needed...it would need repair one or twice a year...

Living Proof

Curious, what brand makes a 5.5 ton? never heard of that and it makes me kind of 2nd guess the company installing it.

Chum

I'll double check with them today...We're going with a Rheem system and this is what he said, "I have spoken with my dealer rep and he will give me the same price for a 1/2 ton larger unit as the price that we have given to you. This will help with the air flow and put more are on that end of the house, there will be no up charge."

To be honest, I think a new 5 Ton unit will work out just fine especially if they add the two vent to the western side of my house.

satchmo

Yep

The 14 seer will probably cost you $100 more to run a year than the 15. Not worth the difference IMHO.[/. If it is even 40-50 a year higher I would be amazed. I've been doing this for 31 years and if they still sold 10 seer equipment I'd push it. It last forever. I've got customers that I service, from installs I did in the 80s. I am not a guy that would bad mouth, but if you have a choice, I would stater clear from Trane. Since they sold( to Home Depot ) in 02-03 the quality stinks. The only company that doesn't want their old compressor back under warranty, the only company .

satchmo

14, I guess they informed you is the new minimum . Under 5000.00 for a whole system is good for five tons of air, that's a lot of air. It will sound like an electric car com paired to whatever you have now.