Fire pit advice

3ringer

I want to build a good quality fire pit. Should I use fire brick ? Where did you buy yours and how much does it cost. Did you do anything special to the ground before building the pit.

chainshaw

I built mine with wall pavers. It took about 80 of them.

I leveled the ground where I was building it and dug a 2 foot deep hole in the center of the circle. I filled it with gravel and then topped, smoothed, and leveled the entire area with sand. The hole in the center creates great drainage for rain.

I chose not to use any adhesives or mortar. I just stacked the pavers and then made sure that I alternated positions, like you would with brick, as I added the next row. I ended up going 5 rows high. I do not have a ring or grate for it. I found that the small gaps between the pavers creates great airflow for the fire. We use the heck out of it.

FPEZB37FB11U63C.LARGE.jpg

This is not my fire pit, but it is very close to what I made.

I didn't use fire bricks to line mine and it has not been an issue. We have been using it, a lot, for the last 5 years.

I used the pavers before and they eventually burnt and broke from the heat. It's best to do the same rock and all that and use some type of 36 inch pipe 2 foot high or so inside then use the pavers around it. I will use adhesive on the next one as they move and get knocked off

sinclair1

I have the typical suburban pit here in Woodstock, but at the lake I just have stacked stone set low to just contain the fire. This pic was when we first built,but now the lawn is in and we just pull up some Adirondacks and make a blaze.
The suburban pits hide most of the heat in my opinion, for the folks that like to enjoy the lake in the cooler months.
DSC_0864_zps60ac52fc.jpg

bany

I had football size rocks around the pine trees in my yard when I bought the place 20 yrs ago. I put them in a two high circle around nothing and have been enjoying and entertaining around the fire ever since!

7 point

I have the typical suburban pit here in Woodstock, but at the lake I just have stacked stone set low to just contain the fire. This pic was when we first built,but now the lawn is in and we just pull up some Adirondacks and make a blaze.
The suburban pits hide most of the heat in my opinion, for the folks that like to enjoy the lake in the cooler months.
DSC_0864_zps60ac52fc.jpg

That's a nice`un

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I used pavers on mine, and it too, looks like the one in the above pic. I looked into using fire brick, but the cost was excessive. With the pavers, I chiseled off the lip on the back that makes them stack offset, so they'd stack straight. I did not mortar them in. I've had mine for about 4 years, and none of them have cracked. And if they do, they're $2 to replace.

3ringer

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will pay extra for fire brick. I like a fire and a cold drink.

Hunter Haven

Here's ours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 312