Trout fishing near Lake Chatuge

kfoskey

I'll be staying at Lake Chatuge this weekend, and I'm hoping to do a little trout fishing while up that way. Are there any streams up that way that are open to the public that are closer than Smith Creek and the upper Chattahoochee? Any tips would be appreciated.
-Kent

Joe_Atlanta

The mtn man

Or you could get a nc temp license, on the north end of chatuge is an endless supply of good trout fishing, hiwassee river , chatuge tail race, tusquittee creek( hatchery supported, fires creek( hatchery support and delayed harvest section), buck creek, ( lower end hatchery support, upper wild section,), upper nantahala(wild trout, known for brown trout. There are others, that would keep you busy.

The mtn man

In Chatuge?

Chatuge use to be stocked with hatchery trout, years ago, on occasion someone will catch either a stocked trout that comes from feeder creeks or upper hiwassee river, sometimes even a wild trout gets caught, but it rare these days. I wouldn't consider any trout in chatuge to be steelhead rainbows though.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'll admit, I've not targeted them, but the last "lake" trout I caught in Chatuge was in the 80s. I don't think there's a population large enough to warrant Chatuge being a trout destination. Kind of like the accidental stripers in Hiwassee lake.

The mtn man

I'll admit, I've not targeted them, but the last "lake" trout I caught in Chatuge was in the 80s. I don't think there's a population large enough to warrant Chatuge being a trout destination. Kind of like the accidental stripers in Hiwassee lake.

Yep, in these parts nantahala and burton are probably the best trout lakes, although Appalachia is suppose to be getting good.