#3...Tagged Out in The Mountains

critterslayer

Well, anyone who does't know me might think I have a turkey farm up here in these mountains I'm getting birds from, but I'm just as surprised myself.

I've never had a season like this, all 3 of my birds were taken in different spots, all on, or close to public land.

So, this morning my brother and I head into some public land I've hunted before, but hadn't been into since deer season. We hadn't been walking up the mountain 5 minutes, and I spot a jake on the roost, as we try to back track, a hen spooks off the roost and cackles, and birds fire off up higher, but then go silent. So, with them spooked and it not even fly-down time, I decide to drop back, and circle around the mountain.

15 minutes later, we are up on the saddle, all quiet. I start yelping semi aggressively, and clucking like a hen that was separated from the flock. Less than 2 minutes and my brother and I both heard something walking, so we hit the ground without any cover, and a half second after we did, 2 longbeards coming strolling up the mountain and their heads pop up at 35-40 yards.

My brother was scrambling to get the camera on, so I just yelped loud and hard to keep their attention, all the while the GIANT long-beard was slipping farther into the laurels, i waited 5-6 seconds, and knew they were about to fly off the mountain, so i shot when the bird behind him stepped out.

It feels odd to be tagged out, but filling tags isn't what it all about. I've got a lot of meat, and several friends who want their first bird. Hopefully I'll be sharing more success on here soon. I hope everyone is having a great season.

Here he is, he was not a heavy bird

Full fan, Full beard, but a rounded 1 inch on the spurs.

deast1988

Bang bang bang

3 and out heck of a season and congrats

The photos, the places the memories are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

sman

Congrats! I like tagging out in 2 weeks. Free to fish and take others! You did well!

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Congrats

fountain

Well, anyone who does't know me might think I have a turkey farm up here in these mountains I'm getting birds from, but I'm just as surprised myself.

Here he is, he was not a heavy bird

Full fan, Full beard, but a rounded 1 inch on the spurs

Is this one a "true native turkey" possibly?

jlt4800

That's awesome!
I usually don't head to the mountains till about the 15th of April.
Congratulations on a fine season in such a short period.

critterslayer

Thank you all, it does not feel right to be done, it all happened so fast. I am doing some bass fishing now, and hope to help some others bag a mature bird.

The mtn man

Great season!!!! It's always bitter sweet tagging out. Good job man!!!