3/4" plywood cabinets....Dado cuts

Luke0927

Getting rid of the wire shelving in the garage want to build me some cabinets to help keep stuff up and dust off etc...

I still haven't picked up a good table saw (find myself just using my circular saw), nor do I have a router so I figure this project might call for one of the other.

What do you think for home project kind of guy, would getting a router be the best bang for the buck for making dados and I guess could use if for other things eventual or is it time to break down and buy a table saw (keep in mind would be a portable one so cutting ripping plywood and other other large items I don't think will be that easy one of the reason I haven't bought one but maybe I'm wrong on that?).

Or any other thoughts?

NOYDB

BANNED
Match the tool to the job and storage space. You can accomplish a lot with your circular saw with the addition of clamps and jigs. A table saw takes up a fair amount of room to only be used infrequently.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Unless you would use it a lot I would rent a router for this project

rip18

I completely agree with NOYDB when he said -
Match the tool to the job and storage space. You can accomplish a lot with your circular saw with the addition of clamps and jigs. A table saw takes up a fair amount of room to only be used infrequently.

That said, I used my truck bed & sawhorses with a circular saw for a looooong time before I justified purchasing a table saw.

I'm now kicking myself for not having done it sooner! Having the right tool for the job makes it so much easier.

I bought a used portable table saw (that doesn't take up but about 3 square feet of floor space when it is folded up & sitting on it's end (1' wide by 3' long by about 4' tall). It's easy to roll onto the trailer & move from house to farm & back. It came with a little stand that makes it easy for me to rip big pieces by myself (well, relatively easy anyway - Mrs. Rip sure likes it that I don't have to ask her to come hold/help as much).

Attachments

• deleteme4.jpg
    deleteme4.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 337
  • deleteme5.jpg
    deleteme5.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 338

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I completely agree with NOYDB when he said -

That said, I used my truck bed & sawhorses with a circular saw for a looooong time before I justified purchasing a table saw.

I'm now kicking myself for not having done it sooner! Having the right tool for the job makes it so much easier.

I bought a used portable table saw (that doesn't take up but about 3 square feet of floor space when it is folded up & sitting on it's end (1' wide by 3' long by about 4' tall). It's easy to roll onto the trailer & move from house to farm & back. It came with a little stand that makes it easy for me to rip big pieces by myself (well, relatively easy anyway - Mrs. Rip sure likes it that I don't have to ask her to come hold/help as much).

This ^^^^

I use my portable table saw everywhere. I also tote a router table when needed as well. Hand held routing is ok, but doing it on a table is even better.

Capt Quirk

Routers are good, but only for so many jobs. Same could be said for a table saw. Each does a specific job very well. You can get special saw blades to make your circular saw into a dado cutter, but it won't give you nice edges. There is a 3rd route, which will allow you to skip the dados, by just putting strips of wood under the shelf. It will act like a dado, without lots of extra work.

I guess it depends on how much wood craft you actually do?
Example- I built this desk with a circular saw and router, with no dados.
1183393768.jpg

GA native

I have a table saw, and all it does is eat up space. Unless you are going into the furniture and cabinet business, it's hard to justify a table saw for one job. New toys are fun, but when it just sits there and eats up space...

A router doesn't consume nearly as much space, and is slightly more versatile. There is a learning curve with one though, so practice with some scraps first.

I would just do the ledger board thing, like others have suggested. They do make 7 1/4" dado blades for your skilsaw. Just clamp a ripfence to the board, and go to town.

Luke0927

I could actually use a table saw for a lot but, the easy of use of my Milwaukee lithium saw and a straight edge is nice and I've just gotten so used to doing it that way and it's worked.

My wife would be more comfortable with a table saw she is pretty handy but does not like the hand saw so I cut a lot of things for her...might have to talk her into buy it with her secret woman cash stash!

The dados would be inside the cabinet so I actually thought about making the firing strips like suggested then I could move the shelves if I wanted; but I got to thinking about it in my head and said if I'm going to dado the shelves might as well rabbit the join the back and sides. Making more work for myself it sounds like.

DannyW

I made some shelves in my workshop for all my reloading stuff, and I went a different route. I used 3/4" plywood and a biscuit joiner to assemble the shelves. They turned out great. Use glue and pipe clamps until the glue dries, and they are extremely strong. And I could not believe how easy it was.

The down side is that a biscuit joiner is a very specialized piece of equipment, with no other application that I am aware of. If you go this route it will be nice to find a friend who has one that you could borrow.

Jim Baker

Staff member
A good set of sawhorses, a good circular and router with a good guide. A guide only needs to be a strait piece of lumber wide enough it want flex in the middle of a long cut and a good set of clamps.

Dado cuts are easier with a router in my opinion. If you have 4 dados to make across a 24"x96"x 3/4" plywood you need a table saw with a a big table extension and some help.

With a router you just measure and set your guide and cut.

You don't need a fancy router either just a strong one. And make your dados in 2 or 3 passes.

Luke0927

I think I will go with a router I have a couple other projects I could do with it as well. I'm a big fan of Milwaukee tools, but it is something I will not use as much as other hand tools. What features and what model would be best bang for the dollar?

Variable speed would probably be best? Anyone used a D handle vs the normal 2 side "palm" handles?

Dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita probably all very good choices? I've heard very good things about the Rigid line at Home Depot?

rjcruiser

I'd go with a table saw. Buy used...get at a minimum a contractor grade saw with a 3/4 hp motor. 220v is better if you can get it...but 110v will work.

I had a cheap $125 portable table saw that I used for a project and it worked great...but eventually, the fence didn't hold or would creep and make uneven cuts. Searched CList and found an older contractor table saw for $150 that some older gentleman was selling. Used it to build all the cabinet boxes in my kitchen. I've used it on a ton of other projects and it sits in a corner in my garage under a shop bench (I remove the fence when it goes into storage) so it doesn't take up too much space. Finally burned the motor out, so purchased another off of ebay. It runs off of 220v which seems to really help that blade spin efficiently. Got a dado blade for it and makes great grooves for the shelves and or the runners for adjustable shelves. Much easier and less messy than a router.

Also, when you build your cabinet boxes, use staples instead of nails out of an air gun. If you do this, glue and staples will be plenty...along with a dado, it will make it bullet proof.

Cmp1

BANNED
I think I will go with a router I have a couple other projects I could do with it as well. I'm a big fan of Milwaukee tools, but it is something I will not use as much as other hand tools. What features and what model would be best bang for the dollar?

Variable speed would probably be best? Anyone used a D handle vs the normal 2 side "palm" handles?

Dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita probably all very good choices? I've heard very good things about the Rigid line at Home Depot?

I own a rigid, Milwaukee and a Bosch,,,, like all 3 for different tasks,,,, but if you're going to do dadoes and it will be your only router,,,, buy the Bosch, variable speed, 2 handle kit,,,, great router,,,, and either Freud or Bosch bits,,,,

rjcruiser

There's lots of ways he can do it,,,, I've got one of these jigs,,,, works good,,,, but I wouldn't trust them with weight,,,,

One of my kitchen cabinets has these in there...and I imagine the weakest part of it is the shelf. 4 pins on each corner...I don't think it's going anywhere.

Cmp1

BANNED
One of my kitchen cabinets has these in there...and I imagine the weakest part of it is the shelf. 4 pins on each corner...I don't think it's going anywhere.

I used the metal pins on some cabinets I built out of birch plywood for a toolbox I built,,,, the pins didn't hold, ended up using dowels,,,, great jig,,,, just didn't work for me in that instance,,,, now for my wifes kitchen cabinet I built her, they have been fine,,,,