Santa Claus lies

blindhog

How many of you christians believe God's command not to tell lies?

How do you justify telling your children the santa lie? (if you do)

A lie is a lie.

dixie

Blind, do you believe the Lord Jesus spoke in parables to get his point across? I compare the fables of Santa to teach children about love and sharing the same as the parables the Lord used to make his point with.

THREEJAYS

Blind, do you believe the Lord Jesus spoke in parables to get his point across? I compare the fables of Santa to teach children about love and sharing the same as the parables the Lord used to make his point with.

Well put.You know in Rev. it says there will be no liars in heaven.I believe we are all in trouble, I don't know anyone that can say they have never stretched the truth.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :yawn:

toddboucher

Our son is 18months now, we are praying and talking about this. I looked up the story of St. Nick, I'll tell him how the myth grew. I have 2 problems.
1) I want to tell him the truth- so he can trust what I teach him about Jesus.
2) But I don't want him to destory the time of Santa for other kids, really we are not sure yet.

We plan on teaching him about Christ and also explaining about St. Nick who I read gave toys to poor kids on Christmas. Any help would be great!!, or should I just go with the myth, untill the mythbusters sloves the problem, I love that show.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member

A lie is a lie.

So do you tell a three year old where babies come from and how they are born?

"the santa lie"? ... get a life :cheers:

A lie is a lie.

If by that you mean "all statements that are not literally correct" are lies, then as a matter of formal logic, you are correct.

The Ninth Commandment says the we should not bear false witness against our neighbor. Telling a child about Santa Clause hardly violates this Commandment.

The problem with an absolutist approach such as "A lie is a lie" is that it ignores the moral and ethical component of most of the Commandments, and such a pronouncement attempts to relieve the individual to accept the personal responsiblity for making those decisions.

The entire Jewish faith and Christianity are based on a lie. It wasn't even a very subtle one, or a lie of omission, but a direct intentional statement made for the purpose of deception.

There will be plenty of room in heaven if there are no liars.

CAL

I think most of the problems children and adults too have goes back to their childhood and their raising.Were we not to be children,think as children,and act as children,looks like God would have put us here as adults.I can see no harm in Santa Clause,the Easter bunny,or the Tooth Fairy for that matter.We are dealing with a child and a child's mind not adults.
The Bible speaks of being a child and acting as a child, when we become adults to put away childish things.Is Santa Clause not a childish thing and being a child?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I think most of the problems children and adults too have goes back to their childhood and their raising.Were we not to be children,think as children,and act as children,looks like God would have put us here as adults.I can see no harm in Santa Clause,the Easter bunny,or the Tooth Fairy for that matter.We are dealing with a child and a child's mind not adults.
The Bible speaks of being a child and acting as a child, when we become adults to put away childish things.Is Santa Clause not a childish thing and being a child?

AMEN Brother Alex!!!

Let em be children and enjoy em while you can. They grow way too fast!!

Swamprat

Swamprat
AMEN Brother Alex!!!

Let em be children and enjoy em while you can. They grow way too fast!!

Excactly. Just like us we found out the truth as time went on and I don't think it scarred any of us. It is part of growing up.

Joe Moran

Kicking that dead horse!

Santa is the man!

No harm in it. Anyone who deprives their children of it, should really think about what they have done.
Don't want their kids to believe, but don't want their children to "ruin" it for anyone else:crazy: . Makes alot of sense.

The folks that tell their kids up front, I wonder, did their folks let them believe?
If so, are their folks condemned to eternal ****ation?
Did it scar you in some way?

I'm always happy to hear about people finding the Lord, but when folks get fanatical...:rolleyes:

Craig Knight

A lie is a lie.

I take it you live a completely honest and upstanding life with no lies at all. ..... Man some people just dont know what they should really be worrying about

blindhog

I have never claimed to be perfect, although telling lies blatantly is not my habit.

But I'll say I'm not disappointed in my expectation of the rationalization of a worldly tradition...the downright anger ....

Where in scripture does it say "little white lies are OK?"

I am not trying to project a holier than thou attitude. But it seems everyone likes to draw their own line of where obedience should stop and start.

THREEJAYS

I have never claimed to be perfect, although telling lies blatantly is not my habit.

But I'll say I'm not disappointed in my expectation of the rationalization of a worldly tradition...the downright anger ....

Where in scripture does it say "little white lies are OK?"

I am not trying to project a holier than thou attitude. But it seems everyone likes to draw their own line of where obedience should stop and start.

It's always been this way,that's why for me I'm glad that God will be the only judge.

matthewsman

I

I envy the person whose life is in good shape that the only negative thing their child could ever hold against them is the fact that Santa wasn't real.........

::;

CAL

Now Matthewsman,nobody ever told me Santa wasn't real.Fact is,I told my children(one 39 and the other 35)as long as they believe there would be a Santa.When they stopped it was all over with.That is all I ever told them so many years ago.

CHRISTMAS......Singing Christmas Carols,remembering the birth of Jesus,the Manger Scene,special food,sharing with the neighbors,helping those less fortunate,cold weather,smelling cedar from the Christmas tree,wrapping presents,watching the childrens eyes twinkle with excitement,visiting with friends and family,decorating for the season,enjoying your grandchildren,and last but not least being Santa Clause.

blindhog

The issue of what God's will is in this subject has been excluded. I have seen explanations why it is the individual's will.

What is His will concerning the fibb of SClaus? What can we learn from scriptures?

Why believe in Santa? Does this edify the gospel of Jesus Christ?

blindhog

I take it you live a completely honest and upstanding life with no lies at all. ..... Man some people just dont know what they should really be worrying about

I am not worrying, just examining a man made tradition in light of the will of God.
I am asking fellow christians about this, and why one would continue to do such.