Need some help with new lease

bamaboy812003

I just got stationed in SC at Shaw AFB and found a good size lease for a good price. The lease is about 350 acres with 5 other members. The members on this lease are up and years but all really great guys. Oldest is 81 and the youngest before I joined was 64. I get my keys to the property tomorrow and I'm going to start scouting it. They have 20 or so ladder stands already but they only hunt about 40% of the lease. This place has it all good swamps for duck hunting, hardwood bottoms, and pine thickets. I've always hunted public land and have never had the opportunity to be part of a hunting club. So what all should I do with the property in ya'lls opinion? I was going to put in two mineral lick sights to start out with and then start working on the food plots. I dont plan on asking for any help from the guys and they have told me to have at it. So I'm thinking game on or should i take it slow to start out with.

chadf

Do what you want !
Enjoy ! Be safe !

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Get some trail cameras and survey the land.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Btw, one thing I've learned with hunting with a group of retired guys. They tend to put alot of time in hunting especially during the week.

Steve08

Get some trail cameras and survey the land.<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Second that, that's the 1st thing I would do.

mr otter

I would take it slow and be respectful of the old timers if you want to stay in the club. Find out where everyone likes to hunt and go somewhere else. I'm sure these guys all have their "favorite" spot.

shdw633

I would take it slow and be respectful of the old timers if you want to stay in the club. Find out where everyone likes to hunt and go somewhere else. I'm sure these guys all have their "favorite" spot.

^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

Where ever they are hunting go the opposite of them, that not only shows respect but more often then not the deer know where everyone of their stands are and are avoiding those areas to begin with. Especially if you want to do foodplots. Once you get you a couple of areas out and away, then by all means, go to town with the minerals and the foodplots.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

Where ever they are hunting go the opposite of them, that not only shows respect but more often then not the deer know where everyone of their stands are and are avoiding those areas to begin with. Especially if you want to do foodplots. Once you get you a couple of areas out and away, then by all means, go to town with the minerals and the foodplots.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.^

Gut_Pile

I would take it easy the first year and try not to change up too much of what the club members have been doing for years. See how they hunt, act around each other, etc the first year and then make some changes the next year. I would hate for you to go in there, go against the grain unknowingly, and not get invited back to the club next year.

Davexx1

Help others. Show up and help with the usual hunt club off season chores such as tractor work, mowing, mending fence and gates, fixing up the hunt camp, filling feeders (if used), rebuilding tree stands, sharing expenses, do some cooking or cook outs, etc..

Make new friends. Be tolerant and respectful. Don't over hunt the club property, bring a bunch of guests, etc..

The number one thing is, DO NOT kill a big buck the first year!

Dave

bamaboy812003

Well i talked to the gentleman who runs the club today and heck 3 out of the 5 members only hunted a combined 7 times last year and nobody else bow hunts. So bow hunting will be my bread and butter. I'm going to stick to my climber and give them the ladder stands and they didnt have any plans for food plots this year so I guess I'm going to be doing that myself. I even asked if they have any work days for club members and he said no. He just told me to have at it and enjoy the property with my family. So Saturday is scouting, trailcams, and mineral licks. Thank yall for the input. I did ask everybody if they want to have a BBQ to get to know everyone we will see how that goes.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Enjoy your time with those older gentleman. I could sit around a fire and talk with guys up in age like that, all night. To me, this would be as enjoyable as actually going hunting. I bet them dudes have some interesting stories they could tell you.

Y'all enjoy each other's company and be safe out there! :flag:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you have found a perfect spot. Enjoy it, and respect those old dudes. You might just learn something from them if you're not careful. :)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep, you might well find the older hunters to be more of the sharing/giving sort than the younger ones. They might not be able to do all that they once did. I would recommend your taking the lead in getting them together for a BBQ. You also could start or re-start a get together the night before or the morning of opening day. A lot of older hunters used to do that and have let it slip.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well i talked to the gentleman who runs the club today and heck 3 out of the 5 members only hunted a combined 7 times last year and nobody else bow hunts. So bow hunting will be my bread and butter. I'm going to stick to my climber and give them the ladder stands and they didnt have any plans for food plots this year so I guess I'm going to be doing that myself. I even asked if they have any work days for club members and he said no. He just told me to have at it and enjoy the property with my family. So Saturday is scouting, trailcams, and mineral licks. Thank yall for the input. I did ask everybody if they want to have a BBQ to get to know everyone we will see how that goes.

An offer to put in a "club food plot" might be royally received. ;)

They may say don't worry about it but I'll bet $ to doughnuts they will more than appreciate the thought.

Sounds like you have fallen into an excellent deal. Hope there are tons of deer and good times ahead.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Some great advice has already been given.

20 stands on 350 acres sounds like they got it covered pretty good unless they are beside one another.

Katalee

Listen, listen, they have let you into their circle, there is nothing but knowledge to be gained from this.

bamaboy812003

Well put in 3 mineral site on Saturday as well as 5 trailcams. This weekend food plots go in and hope for the best. Just going to put in clover and peas. Nothing special this year until i figure out the food plot game.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well put in 3 mineral site on Saturday as well as 5 trailcams. This weekend food plots go in and hope for the best. Just going to put in clover and peas. Nothing special this year until i figure out the food plot game.

I'd pass on the clover until this Fall.;)