Trail Cams on Sale??

jh0715

Just checking to see if anyone knows where best deal is for trail cams now. Looking to buy a couple new ones. Thanks

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
The very best deal for cameras that I know of as of yesterday was I was online and saw that Academy Sports has the WildGame Blade X6 on sale for $ 42.99 each. I own 18 of this model camera and they work really well. They are a great bargain for the money for sure as I paid $89.99 for my very first one. I have posted lots of photos on here that were made from these cameras too. If I wasn't so saturated with WildGame cameras, I would even contemplate buying a bunch more of this model for the future use. I have an assortment of their various models and currently, I own a total of 45 of them and I love them.

I have also used WildGame's customer service ( 1-800-847-8269) on several occasions during the past several years when I had any questions etc. It is great to be able to talk directly with their customer service technicians. These technicians have helped me a bunch and they replaced a couple of cameras a several years ago that had problems while still under warranty with no hesitation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Blade6 is a good camera, I have a couple of them.

N

NantucketShedHunter

Are any of you guys getting more than a week or two of life from your Wildgame cameras?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Are any of you guys getting more than a week or two of life from your Wildgame cameras?

Two to three years, running 24/7, usually. Never had a bad one out of half a dozen or so I've bought. Battery life is about 7-8 months on mine, too. I don't understand the hate on here for them. I know a lot of people that run them, too, and they usually get two-three years from theirs, too. Moultries are the ones I've had problems with, personally.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova

I agree with you Hillbilly as my Wildgame cameras work great. It ain't no secret that I have a total of 45 Wildgame cameras and I just finished uploading 2,613 photos from some of these cameras just a few minutes ago. All of these were from last Sunday afternoon until today around lunchtime. Some of these cameras are 4 and 5 years old now and are still working great.

I'm thinking that people who might be living in Massachusetts must not know that you install the correct batteries in the camera and then program it properly and then set it up in the woods hopefully along a deer trail and it is amazing how photos just happen to appear on the memory cards.

When that doesn't happen after one week, then user error must be the cause !!!!!!! :D:D:D:pop::pop:

ps: WildGame Innovations Inc offers a one year warranty on all of their cameras so if you had a problem such as you keep mentioning, then I suggest that you call their customer service at 1-800-847-8269 and discuss it with their technicians.

N

NantucketShedHunter

All this time I've been installing the wrong batteries and not programming my Wildgame cameras correctly. Now I know why mine don't last for more than a week or two.

NUTT

Well...at least you figured it out. Gonna get me a couple tomorrow from Academy and try em out.

Etoncathunter

Been using the WGI Blade 6 since last September I have no complaints. The only issue I've ever had was my fault in setting it up wrong, aimed right at a young pine tree so it snapped a pic every time the wind blew. Once I figured that out I've been golden. I've been on the same set of batteries since March with a couple thousand pics taken over that time. I've even been running it in video mode over the last month and with almost 3hrs total video shot (in 30 sec clips) I'm still at over half battery life. I'm using a 2nd WGI camera since May, a cloak 8, and I've had no problem with it either.

I've also been using 2 of the primos easy cams that Dick's sporting goods was having on their online sales all summer. They ain't bad for $29 and get the job done, but I'm not a huge fan. No screen to get pic count or check battery, and no way to set/view date time unless you set it up on your pc at home on the sd card. Once you set the time it is stuck where you set it until it goes live in the camera. So if you wee to set it now but not get out to check the camera and swap cards till tomorrow the time stamps would be off by 24hrs +. You can't just stick the card right in the camera at home either since it doesn't start counting till you turn the camera on, but if you turn the camera off it gets wiped. So say you program the camera at home you'd have to turn it on right then, the let it take pics while you walk to the truck, drive to the club, while you tote it to you spot, and while strap it to the tree. All in all not a bad camera, but annoying if you like keep accurate times.

RABJR

I had four of the wildgame IR4's and two of them malfunctioned after 2 years and the other two had internal components that hold the batteries in place break no longer allowing connection. After I dissected the camera to see how weak\thin those components were I was not satisfied. Price for them was like high $90 something per camera. I want something with a little more longevity. After hearing Eagle Eyes testimony I would normally try them again but I was just so discouraged with the shortness of expectation on the IR 4 models that I'm going to need severe persuasion just to try ANY camera from wildgame again.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Was being sarcastic.

You were not half as sarcastic as I was up above. :D:D:D I promise that I will cut you some slack now. :cheers:

Been using the WGI Blade 6 since last September I have no complaints. The only issue I've ever had was my fault in setting it up wrong, aimed right at a young pine tree so it snapped a pic every time the wind blew. Once I figured that out I've been golden. I've been on the same set of batteries since March with a couple thousand pics taken over that time. I've even been running it in video mode over the last month and with almost 3hrs total video shot (in 30 sec clips) I'm still at over half battery life. I'm using a 2nd WGI camera since May, a cloak 8, and I've had no problem with it either.

I've also been using 2 of the primos easy cams that Dick's sporting goods was having on their online sales all summer. They ain't bad for $29 and get the job done, but I'm not a huge fan. No screen to get pic count or check battery, and no way to set/view date time unless you set it up on your pc at home on the sd card. Once you set the time it is stuck where you set it until it goes live in the camera. So if you wee to set it now but not get out to check the camera and swap cards till tomorrow the time stamps would be off by 24hrs +. You can't just stick the card right in the camera at home either since it doesn't start counting till you turn the camera on, but if you turn the camera off it gets wiped. So say you program the camera at home you'd have to turn it on right then, the let it take pics while you walk to the truck, drive to the club, while you tote it to you spot, and while strap it to the tree. All in all not a bad camera, but annoying if you like keep accurate times.

Etoncathunter,

I knew that you had a couple of WildGame cameras in service and I'm glad that they are working great for you as well. I don't use the video function as it uses up lots of memory and I just prefer to see the photos only because I can easily print them out. I have the photo delay set up for a minimum of 15 seconds each on all of my cameras.

I've got to have a camera that shows the time and date, and also the photo number on each photo as well. I'm not real interested in the moon-phase. I do have several of the RazorX10 cameras and all of them show the temperature on the camera and also on every photo as well. Thankfully, all of my WG cameras show these features really great. I determine a camera location (such as T-CAM #1, #1A, #1 IS-W, #1 IS-S etc for each camera when I decide to place it in the woods. This allows me to upload all of my photos each week and they will ultimately be stored and grouped with each camera location and date of photo in a chronological order for the past 5-6 years now and I can easily go back and review any of these photos. It makes it amazing to see a certain deer and watch it grow from year to year as such too.

Oh, if you are not careful, you an easily focus your camera in the wrong direction, maybe just a few feet off one way or the other and that can mean getting a great photo or NOT getting that photo. To avoid this, I always re-check each camera after I pull the cards to make sure that it is facing exactly where I want it. Yesterday, I had to adjust one camera four different times and then keep walking out in front of it to the location that I wanted to get photos from to make sure that it was just right before I turned it back on. I spent four hours in the woods yesterday installing some new cameras, changing out cards, re-filling two feeding stations, checking new areas for more camera placements, trimming limbs etc from some of my wide-angle cameras too.

I program lots of them at home and test them for a few days before I install them on my property. Sometimes, it might be 2-4 weeks after I program one at home before I actually install it into the woods and it never misses a beat. I just install it and turn it on when in the woods.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I had four of the wildgame IR4's and two of them malfunctioned after 2 years and the other two had internal components that hold the batteries in place break no longer allowing connection. After I dissected the camera to see how weak\thin those components were I was not satisfied. Price for them was like high $90 something per camera. I want something with a little more longevity. After hearing Eagle Eyes testimony I would normally try them again but I was just so discouraged with the shortness of expectation on the IR 4 models that I'm going to need severe persuasion just to try ANY camera from wildgame again.

I have never used any IR 4 model cameras. I currently do have in service a couple of 5 MP, lots of 6 MP, a couple of 7 MP, several 8 MP, several 10 MP, and also one Nano 22 MP. Some of these 6 MP cameras have been in continuous service 24/7/365 during the past 4-5 years now too. I would suggest that you look at the following link for the Blade X6 models and read the more than 250 reviews listed from all over the country and then maybe decide to purchase a Blade X6 as it is one of the very best deals ever in my opinion. That is why I have 16 of that particular model.

One of the biggest problems that you will have on any trail camera is the door gasket material will sometimes allow moisture to seep into the body of the camera and cause moisture and ultimately corrosion. This will ultimately kill the battery because the connection will fail. One way to help prevent that is to clean and lubricate the rubber door gasket material from time to time with a small cloth with a little bit of oil. Another fix for this type problem is when an excessive amount of moisture has gotten inside, take the camera out of service, remove the batteries and fill the battery compartment with rice (yes, cheap white rice) and then seal it inside of a one gallon Ziploc bag for a couple of weeks. The rice will absorb the moisture out of it and then you can dump and then vacuum any residue of the rice out of the camera and install the batteries again, re-program it and put it back in service. This works well when there is a lot of moisture involved and cost very little for this fix as well. I did this last year on one older model WG Micro 6 Red, 6 MP camera that was manufactured on 8/10/2011. This camera has been in service since March of 2012 and it is still working now as it took 107 photos this past week.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wildgame-innovations-w-series-blade-6-60-mp-infrared-scouting-camera

Last edited:
N

NantucketShedHunter

I hear ya Eagle Eye. Maybe Wildgame is different with their new Blade camera. I had an old model that only lasted a week.

Etoncathunter

Etoncathunter,

I knew that you had a couple of WildGame cameras in service and I'm glad that they are working great for you as well. I don't use the video function as it uses up lots of memory and I just prefer to see the photos only because I can easily print them out. I have the photo delay set up for a minimum of 15 seconds each on all of my cameras.

I've got to have a camera that shows the time and date, and also the photo number on each photo as well. I'm not real interested in the moon-phase. I do have several of the RazorX10 cameras and all of them show the temperature on the camera and also on every photo as well. Thankfully, all of my WG cameras show these features really great. I determine a camera location (such as T-CAM #1, #1A, #1 IS-W, #1 IS-S etc for each camera when I decide to place it in the woods. This allows me to upload all of my photos each week and they will ultimately be stored and grouped with each camera location and date of photo in a chronological order for the past 5-6 years now and I can easily go back and review any of these photos. It makes it amazing to see a certain deer and watch it grow from year to year as such too.

Oh, if you are not careful, you an easily focus your camera in the wrong direction, maybe just a few feet off one way or the other and that can mean getting a great photo or NOT getting that photo. To avoid this, I always re-check each camera after I pull the cards to make sure that it is facing exactly where I want it. Yesterday, I had to adjust one camera four different times and then keep walking out in front of it to the location that I wanted to get photos from to make sure that it was just right before I turned it back on. I spent four hours in the woods yesterday installing some new cameras, changing out cards, re-filling two feeding stations, checking new areas for more camera placements, trimming limbs etc from some of my wide-angle cameras too.

I program lots of them at home and test them for a few days before I install them on my property. Sometimes, it might be 2-4 weeks after I program one at home before I actually install it into the woods and it never misses a beat. I just install it and turn it on when in the woods.
I hear ya about the date and time. It's annoying not having it or being way off on those Primos cams. It's almost to the point I'm tempted to dig my old laptop out of storage and tote it with me when I go, just so I can set the date /time right just as I leave the truck. I can't fault the photo quality on them or the price when they're on sale, but just don't think I'll buy anymore of that model. I'm going to stick with the WGI cameras for now. Now to just scrounge up some money so I can get more of the Blade 6's on sale you posted. That is a great price.

As for video, that does use up the memory for sure, but so far it hasn't really been a problem. I check mine every 2 weeks and so far using 8gb cards I've only ran out of space once and that time the last video was taken at 7am the morning I checked it, so I didn't miss much. I have to say I love the videos though. They give a much better feel for the body language and what is going on than stills. If you haven't seen them you should see the videos I posted on my last 2 threads here.

Gaswamp

going to give a couple of the blade 6 cams a whirl

rosewood

The very first cam we ever bought was a Wild Game innovations from Sams Club back in maybe 2009, it is still working. Have 2 Moultries that I have had to replace parts on several times, finally quit spending money on them. Have another Moultrie since maybe 2010 or 2011, not a minutes of trouble. Got 2 WGIs last year, one burns through batteries in about 2 weeks, the other has lasted over 6 months, same model.

It is hit and miss on most brands.

Just bought a WGI Blade 6 from Academy for $42.99 a few days ago. Easy setup and appears to be sealed well to prevent water entry (I have had some cams that got wet). Put it out Monday, will see how it does. Box says the batteries are supposed to last a long time, I can't remember if it was 6 months or a year. We will see.

Rosewood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The very first cam we ever bought was a Wild Game innovations from Sams Club back in maybe 2009, it is still working. Have 2 Moultries that I have had to replace parts on several times, finally quit spending money on them. Have another Moultrie since maybe 2010 or 2011, not a minutes of trouble. Got 2 WGIs last year, one burns through batteries in about 2 weeks, the other has lasted over 6 months, same model.

It is hit and miss on most brands.

Just bought a WGI Blade 6 from Academy for $42.99 a few days ago. Easy setup and appears to be sealed well to prevent water entry (I have had some cams that got wet). Put it out Monday, will see how it does. Box says the batteries are supposed to last a long time, I can't remember if it was 6 months or a year. We will see.

Rosewood
My Blade6's have been out about a year and a half with no water issues at all. I usually get about 6-8 months on the batteries, depending on how many pics I'm getting.

Gaswamp

do u guys use alkaline or lithium with the blade6?

Latest posts