Wireless cams..

Luke.Deer.Commander

How many of y’all believe you’re missing a decent amount of activity since swapping to cellular cams?

I’ve sat multiple times now with deer in Felton of cams and no photos. I believe after a year the trigger on these cell cams are shot.

Let me know if anyone has experimented with multiple cams on the same spot etc.

sghoghunter

Been saying this for a while now but people wouldn’t listen. With me it was only one particular name brand camera.

sghoghunter

I'm running 13 of them. No complaints. Most folks complaining about them are not doing something right...

But of course anything electronic or mechanical can mess up.

I agree that some may be from user error but most ain’t. I’ve been running cellular cameras for getting close to 10 years. I started out with a Covert Blackhawk 3g that cost almost three times as much as cameras now days and it still worked great until they done away with the 3g a couple yrs ago. I have also in these years used four different brands and currently still using three. IF this particular company would concentrate on one or two models instead of 6 or 8 and not make the cameras cheap enough for everyone to own a truck load they could produce a quality product that worked as it should. The thing I haven’t figured out is how can one brand camera send very clear pictures and videos for free and the other send fair pictures for extra cost. Can you tell which is extra cost HD and which is free no HD?

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpeg
    IMG_0957.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 63
  • file20231109213158O5I6V.jpeg
    file20231109213158O5I6V.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 64

killerv

I'm on my first season with one. I'm in stand with deer in front of feeder and it wouldn't take any pics. I lowered the cam from head height down to maybe 4ft off the ground and it made all the difference, started getting pics.

DynamicDennis

I gave up on the cell cams, was nearly consumed by constantly checking on my phone.

tree cutter 08

Can't trust any camera cell or not 100 percent. I've test them on my driveway for years and they will all miss a car driving by every once in a while. All and all they are pretty good tools but I do feel like the cell cams won't send everything. I'll go days sometimes without pics then it will send some. Maybe just lack of game movement or lack of signal. I feel like if your running cams on anything other that bait your only getting a fraction of info of whats really going on. I've seen to many times deer will be coming down a trail or towards a scrape then just randomly walk a different direction for no reason. They are super handy tools but that's all they are. Hard to be sitting in the woods for yourself

six

I’ve run 11 for three years now. No issues so far.

If you believe the cameras are missing pictures etc. do a test. Take a brand new camera set it exactly the same as the older cameras or which ever camera you want to test it against. Mount the cameras exactly the same way and aim them exactly the same. See which cameras sends more pictures to your apps. Then pull the memory cards and see if what was sent matches what was taken.. compare new vs old. In order to get a complete and accurate test everything set must be set together and set exactly the same ways. You can answer and solve the issues for yourself.

Last edited:

Stainlessman

Two yrs ago at my stand I had two different brands . Almost across from each other.
The stealth cam took about half of the photos of another brand of cell camera.
I had several stealths and trashed them all and changed brands.
So I think that's the only real test. Same location, same activity, which one works ?
Which one is junk ?

sghoghunter

If you believe the cameras are missing pictures etc. do a test. Take a brand new camera set it exactly the same as the older cameras or which ever camera you want to test it against. Mount the cameras exactly the same way and aim them exactly the same. See which cameras sends more pictures to your apps. Then pull the memory cards and see if what was sent matches what was taken.. compare new vs old. In order to get a complete and accurate test everything set must be set together and set exactly the same ways. You can answer and solve the issues for yourself.

Got that test going on as we speak. I already know the outcome but I just so happen to have an extra camera and no where to put it at that particular moment. I done the same test 6 to 8 months ago with the bottom camera and another brand and the bottom one only sent 1/3 of the pictures to my phone and saved 2/3 on the sd card and didn’t even take the other 1/3. That particular camera hasn’t even checked in the past 4 days so there’s no telling what’s happened to it now.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 26

Stainlessman

Yes that should be a good test.
The absolute best camera I ever used was
RidgeTec.
A snal on a log could move and you got a photo. Gray squrriel ect. If you wanted to see what's moving in the woods then RidgeTec.
Unfortunately it's expensive to run. Buying points ect. Give my a $150. a year unlimited photos plan , I'm in.

With the different mounting heights the test will have somewhat different outcomes. The pir sensors are not aiming at the same height location.. it will stilll show what isn’t being sent. Somewhat. Signal also is a big factor in what gets sent vs doesn’t.. that will be a factor with all cameras that are cell based

krizia829

We get good activity on our Spypoint cams. Our 1 Moultrie Edge camera that's just a few yards down the same trail as one of our spy points rarely ever takes pictures.

They should be capturing the same deer as the spy point because we know they go down that same trail, however, I think it has to do with the trigger speed.

We get random pics with the nose of a deer on the edge of the photo, or the end of the tail as it passes by. Not a big fan.. We've had no issues with spy point so far. Trying to buy some more actually