Your go to everyday/ hunting pocket knife <$40

XJfire75

Hey guys, I'm in need of an upgrade in the pocket knife area. Been carrying a walmart cheapy and its obviously inferior. What kinda knife do you carry every day that works well in the woods too? I try to carry 1 knife year round that'll do everything I need it to. I out this here so that I could get responses from folks that will use their knife for everything from pickin toe nails to trimming shooting lanes on the fly to cutting rope and etc.

Suggestions?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Old Timer. Never leave the house without it.

Attachments

• chants.jpg
    chants.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,797

RockyMountainBasser

My nephew, 2 years ago for Christmas, bought me a pair of wooden handle knives that came in a kit. It was a set made under the name of Crush ( I am sure it has something to do with the TV show). I didn't think much of them looking at them, but when I pulled them out and felt how sharp they were, I don't leave the house without them now. They have been through 2 deer and countless squirrels, and have only been touched up once.

crucible02

Get an Ontario RAT Model 1. It's made specifically for outdoor use. It is beefy enough to do about anything, comes sharp and holds an edge, comfortable in the hand, good belly for skinny a deer and will only cost you $20+.

Amazon usually has the best prices on them.

If you want something a little smaller, they have a Model 2, as well.

Also, my Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter always seems to find it's way into my pocket when I'm worried about losing my Spyderco Delica 4. That's a great knife for about $20.

01Foreman400

Staff member
At work or when I'm in the woods working a Walmart and Home Depot special. Found the Husky and the WM knife as $3.97.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,709

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Since the OP requested a pocket knife suggestion, I would second the Buck 110. Schrade has a similar version in the LB7. I prefer a 2 bladed folding hunter for hunting purposes. Schrade, Boker, and Case have configurations of this knife. All are a little to big for everyday carry. Nics knife is more comfortable for everyday carry and will still field dress a deer and skin one too.

deast1988

My nephew, 2 years ago for Christmas, bought me a pair of wooden handle knives that came in a kit. It was a set made under the name of Crush ( I am sure it has something to do with the TV show). I didn't think much of them looking at them, but when I pulled them out and felt how sharp they were, I don't leave the house without them now. They have been through 2 deer and countless squirrels, and have only been touched up once.

Those are buck knives,

I'm a fan of SOG even some of the lower end spyderCo knives sportsmans guide has loads of name brand notable knives discounted puma with German steel hold edge fantastic.

biggdogg

Old Timer Sharpfinger.

I'm trying to find one of these. The last one I had, someone else apparently needed it more than I did.

To answer the OP's question. Buck 110.

Monty4x4

Havalon Titan for me. Two blades, one knife. Around $50 on Amazon so a tad over your listed price range. Comes with a case (which I don't use) and extra blades. Clean squirrels, birds and deer, ect with the replaceable blade, and do everything else with the other one. If you've never used a Havalon though be careful, very sharp when new. That said the first blade on it when you buy it not so much so I replace it right away usually. And make sure you use pliers when replacing so you don't chop off a digit.

ryanh487

I've carried a kershaw skyline in my pocket every day for about 9 years now. Awesome edge, wide blade so it's strong, but it's also easy to open and close one handed and it's very light.

GRT24

I carry a Kershaw now and it holds a good edge. My father loves his old timer like its his child. My grandfather carries an old old case. Everyone always says theirs is better. All depends on what you are wanting. If we are 3 standing there little remarks are made about each one of our knives when we use it. Such as a real man carries a case or let me use your knife so I don't mess up my knife because mines better. Knife is about like your woman every person has their on taste but they are all for the same thing