Believers that don't go to church

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Who believes but does not attend church or official services, and why?

jmharris23

This oughta be a good thread. Feel free to post in the other forum if you think you'd get more answers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I believe there is a higher power out there. I don't believe, however, that it conforms to the beliefs of most mainstream religions. In fact, I think if it is God, it would be impossible for me or anyone else to know what it thinks or wants.

I know that if I was to go looking for God, I would feel much, much more likely to meet him/her/it on top of a mountain by myself or out in the middle of the woods or on a creek bank than I would in a stuffy building full of people dressed in suits passing a collection plate around and pointing critical fingers at each others' behavior.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I believe there is a higher power out there. I don't believe, however, that it conforms to the beliefs of most mainstream religions. In fact, I think if it is God, it would be impossible for me or anyone else to know what it thinks or wants.

I know that if I was to go looking for God, I would feel much, much more likely to meet him/her/it on top of a mountain by myself or out in the middle of the woods or on a creek bank than I would in a stuffy building full of people dressed in suits passing a collection plate around and pointing critical fingers at each others' behavior.

:clap::clap::clap::cheers:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

I can appreciate that.

660griz

Amen!
I have had "spiritual" moments in nature.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Preach on brother

That was great. Thanks for sharing that idea.

Natty Bumppo

I think it'd be hard to be a true believer and not to want to attend church, at least once in a while, if for no other reason than to gain knowledge and understanding of the word of God with other believers. If you're attending a place where members are pointing critical fingers at one another, I'll suggest you visit another church. There's plenty of choices and most will make you feel welcome.

shotgun

I believe that one can worship in a deer stand or in a jon boat as well as in a church. Its not where you go but the intent and purpose of why. My problem with some churches is the waste and checks and balances of the money given by the congregations. Poor money management by unqualified people bothers me. I am not a Saint but I try everyday.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think it'd be hard to be a true believer and not to want to attend church, at least once in a while, if for no other reason than to gain knowledge and understanding of the word of God with other believers. If you're attending a place where members are pointing critical fingers at one another, I'll suggest you visit another church. There's plenty of choices and most will make you feel welcome.

I would be more of the opinion that if you wanted to learn more about God as God actually is, you might want to try some personal interaction instead of relying solely on a 2,000 year-old book written on the other side of the world by uneducated folks, or going by other peoples' stereotyped opinions that they learned from other people.

This is not a criticism of church. I grew up as the son of a preacher going to church every time the doors were open. Church has its purpose, and is a good thing for many people. Maybe it's not the answer for everyone, though. Church can be either a positive or a negative influence.

If there is a higher power out there, I would think of it more as a force that can manifest itself in many ways rather than just an old angry bearded gentleman sitting on a cloud, or a pleasant young bearded gentleman in a white robe toting a lamb under his arm.

Perhaps most of the organized religions are only seeing one aspect of God and forming their whole belief system around that, much like the proverbial group of blind men in a room each trying to describe what an elephant is by feeling only one part of it. I only know that any experience I have ever had that I could describe as spiritual has not been scheduled at 11 AM in a building full of other people. I don't know who or what God is, but I know where and when I feel like I have possibly encountered it.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Who believes but does not attend church or official services, and why?

Me. I don't go to church for a lotta reasons, many of which have been debated a bunch on here. I find other ways to express my faith through giving and service.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
..... in a stuffy building full of people dressed in suits passing a collection plate around and pointing critical fingers at each others' behavior.

Nah, they have fixed this problem. The modern church is all about the lights and the band, and folks wear shorts n t shirts to attend.

JB0704

I Gots Goats

After having been heavily involved in church for a very long time, I threw in the towel about 7 years ago. The further away I get from the local congregation the more comfortable I am with my decision.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Poor money management by unqualified people bothers me.

A lot of these folks get a theology degree, or a seminary degree, then go out and try to run a church like a business. This is where elders come in, and should be chosen based on qualifications. However, I have seen elders chosen more based on their relationship with the head pastor then qualifications.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
NChillbilly, your experiences, thoughts and words echo many of mine that I've shared in here over the years. Very relatable.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Me. I don't go to church for a lotta reasons, many of which have been debated a bunch on here. I find other ways to express my faith through giving and service.
I have always found you to be genuine and honest. Thanks