Not a good look for the Mormon Church

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
This ^^^^

The OP is an NBC News story. The MSM loves stories like this. Sex/money scandals in any church make their eyes light up. They never miss an opportunity to publicly shame a church.
If the image of “Christianity” is our concern …….our first knee jerk reaction until we know all the facts should be derogatory towards the media instead of the church, first.

Calling the church out ahead of the “conclusions” is producing the same negative outlook as the ones that are actually corrupt.,

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
If the image of “Christianity” is our concern …….our first knee jerk reaction until we know all the facts should be derogatory towards the media instead of the church, first.

Calling the church out ahead of the “conclusions” is producing the same negative outlook as the ones that are actually corrupt.,
From my understanding it's concluded. The Mormon church paid out 5 million to settle and made a statement to the effect of 'putting the matter behind them.'

Tight Lines

I'm not Mormon or defending them, but this is nothing new for anyone with investment funds. Walt Disney purchased all the land for Disney through shell companies to hide his intentions. That was viewed as smart to minimize his investment. The Catholic Church has something like $750B in assets, and tracing it is not simple at all. Investment funds invest and often do so through multiple different companies for multiple reasons including tax, inheritance, geography, risk, etc. One reason that churches do this is so that the congregation continues to tithe. Seems like they got bad advice and have since rectified it. The size of the fine will tell you something about how injurious this was...$5MM on $33B isn't material.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Here is a contemporary Church finance story that actually has some references to actions that harmed people.

You're arguing apples and oranges. You argument essentially is "If there is no one physically/financially/ emotionally, etc, harmed then there are no damages and thus it isn't a big deal." That's fine and dandy from a legal aspect. What I'm stating requires you to take a broader Christian spiritual perspective. I'm specifically speaking of the damage inflicted upon the Kingdom of God by those supposedly in the Kingdom, which dwarfs any physical damage.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You're arguing apples and oranges. You argument essentially is "If there is no one physically/financially/ emotionally, etc, harmed then there are no damages and thus it isn't a big deal." That's fine and dandy from a legal aspect. What I'm stating requires you to take a broader Christian spiritual perspective. I'm specifically speaking of the damage inflicted upon the Kingdom of God by those supposedly in the Kingdom, which dwarfs any physical damage.
I understand your point and we disagree.