Any body pigeon hunt during the off season??

rnelson5

I have seen a few videos and man they take to decoys pretty good! It seems like most of the guys that get any numbers are on farms out west. Any one had any luck here?

kevbo3333

I kill pigeons around work because they crap all over all the equipment. I put a mojo teal out and they come right to it!

Barebowyer

Sounds like fun. I shoot a lot of crows on a regular. Used to shoot lots of pigeons in VA near the grain bins. I am looking for somewhere local to trap some now

across the river

I used to do it a some in college and high school. Old barns, silos, etc... will hold a few. The best place we would hunt consistently was a buddies place that had and huge old equipment shed from a previous tenant. They roosted in there and pretty good numbers, and we could kill quite a few coming in there to roost in the afternoons. We never killed numbers like you see on youtube out west or overseas though. The most I have ever seen at one time were on this wheat field that was not too far as the crows fly from this industrial park. I was living in South Carolina and we would ride by in this field in mornings and see hundreds feeding in this cut field that summer. If I remember correctly it was wheat. Anyway, a friend of a friend owned it and let three of us hunt it. We went to hunt it early morning that weekend and they flew in in three groups that had to have close to a hundred in each one. It was fast and furious like a wood duck hunt right at light, and it was over. I have never seen it around here like are mentioning where you sit on a feed pen and just shoot and shoot as small group after small group flies in over and over.

rnelson5

I used to do it a some in college and high school. Old barns, silos, etc... will hold a few. The best place we would hunt consistently was a buddies place that had and huge old equipment shed from a previous tenant. They roosted in there and pretty good numbers, and we could kill quite a few coming in there to roost in the afternoons. We never killed numbers like you see on youtube out west or overseas though. The most I have ever seen at one time were on this wheat field that was not too far as the crows fly from this industrial park. I was living in South Carolina and we would ride by in this field in mornings and see hundreds feeding in this cut field that summer. If I remember correctly it was wheat. Anyway, a friend of a friend owned it and let three of us hunt it. We went to hunt it early morning that weekend and they flew in in three groups that had to have close to a hundred in each one. It was fast and furious like a wood duck hunt right at light, and it was over. I have never seen it around here like are mentioning where you sit on a feed pen and just shoot and shoot as small group after small group flies in over and over.

Well if I ever happen to be out west in the summer I will try to find a place to go.

Mr Warren

Banned
I had several local farmers back in Michigan, who would call me to thin out the barn pigeons for them. Some of them had pretty big flocks. It was good practice. Plus - it helped me get permission to hunt other game on some of those farms.

krazybronco2

hit up belair and I20 piles of birds there and close not sure if they will decoy in the median but worth a shot! haha!!

You need to go to a pigeon trap shoot. Better have some money

Mr Warren

Banned
You need to go to a pigeon trap shoot. Better have some money
Yeah - I've read about those shoots. Most of the people who participate in them, own shotguns that cost more than I make in a year, and the entry fees are pretty steep also. I'd like to watch one though.

Yeah - I've read about those shoots. Most of the people who participate in them, own shotguns that cost more than I make in a year, and the entry fees are pretty steep also. I'd like to watch one though.
Yes sir , I have heard about a couple years ago in the Augusta Area. Once the bird flew out of the trap and was shot it must fall in circle. If it did not you lost money.

krazybronco2

so live target sporting clays....

join an AKC retriever club and you can have live sporting clays on the weekends. also they normally provide lunch and lead shot shell for ducks and pheasants.

rnelson5

Shooting anything released by humans does nothing for me. If it is not wild then it is not hunting.

Mr Warren

Banned
Shooting anything released by humans does nothing for me. If it is not wild then it is not hunting.
As far as I know - the people who participate in the sport don't consider it - or even compare it to hunting. It's a sport like skeet or trap only with live targets to make it tougher.

Mr Warren

Banned
Not meaning to hijack this thread - but while reading that link, I saw the pic of Rudy Etchens Purdy double gun and it gave me a chill. It was always my dream as a young man, to own a Purdey shotgun. They are a thing of beauty and a joy to handle - It's like they are almost alive in your hands - they are so finely balanced. I never did own one - but I have held a few.

tradhunter98

We used to try for them hard up around the house on some big farms, some of the best around. A great day was 12-15 birds. Nothing like the farms out west killing 7...8...900 birds. We had a good time even killed some with bands, but like i said nothing like the guys from the Sore No More pigeon decoy company.

When i lived in Hephzibah we hunted several farms and killed them.