I ditched the 10/22 for this

Robert28

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/

While cleaning my 10/22 the other day, I simply got fed up with it and sent it on down the road. BX 25 magazines and all. Bye, see ya! I grew tired of its finicky ways after shooting 50 rounds of ammo at times, I didn't understand why it was such a pain to take down with Allen wrenches and taking out the trigger mechanism just seemed bass ackwards. I wanted simple. I have an old Remington single shot 22, an old Remington pump 22, and this blasted Ruger 10/22 monstracity. My favorite gun for rabbits and squirrels is an old single shot 20 gauge. I like simple, simple is good. I came across the Henry lever action and was sold. Always wanted one, figured I didn't need one cause I had the 10/22. I found en excuse for needing it after getting rid of the Ruger. Lever action guns are easy to clean and I don't need silly Allen wrenches and I don't have to do 20 steps to take the gun down to clean.

Don't get me wrong, the 10/22 is a classic and has sold millions. It's just not for me. Too finicky, too much of a bear to clean in the field if I had to, it never really grew on me. It's too new school for this old simple minded feller.

GA native

I'm with you brother. The 10/22 has utterly failed to impress me. The only nice thing I can say about my 10/22, is it has yet to jam.

Robert28

I actually posted the wrong link to the gun I bought, I got the small game rifle with the Skinner peep sight and octagon barrel. It's a gem to shoot, even has the larger lever for gloves. My 10/22'carbine just always seemed....cheap. It felt cheap and it looked cheap. Mine would want to start hiccuping if I shot 50-100 rounds of cheap Remington or Federal .22lr. I spent more time cleaning that finicky action than enjoying the gun. It wasn't going to be used for self defense, only plinking and squirrels and snakes but I got to thinking what if I needed it to count on in a survival situation? Was it not gonna run because it was a little dirty or that all I had was dirty ammo? Just grew to hate the gun and all it's high maintence ways. Cleaning it wasn't simple, but if it had been then maybe I could overlook the reliability flaws of it. But to be finicky AND a chore to clean? No thank you. Welcome to my gun safe, Henry! No more touchy semi-auto 22's for me!

Robert28

I've got the same Henry in 22 mag. It's the frontier model with skinner peeps, octagon barrel, and large loop lever. I bought it for my wife which she don't know about yet so it's still NIB in hiding :clap:

I bought one of the 50 yr anniversary model 10/22's a couple yrs ago and ended up giving it to one of my sons. I wasn't all that impressed with it either, even after I changed the stock. I would however still like to try one of the takedown models and may get one when I can get a good deal on one. If nothing else, it should be good for a bug out bag. :flag:

I considered the mag too but don't have any 22mag ammo saved up unfortunately. I did love the sights and the barrel on this rifle though, the larger loop was just a bonus. You can't beat 16 in the tube either!

I wish I could find an older 10/22 to look at and shoot, maybe that would indeed impress me. Today's version sure doesn't. If they'd released today's version back in the day, the model 60 would have smoked it. I actually looked at a model 60 in Walmart awhile back and I swear it doesn't look as bad as my 10/22! Henry makes survival 22's you should take a look at.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I love mine and for a Walmart special S.S. with a KIDD 2.5 lb. trigger and an Archangel stock and a Bushnell 3-12x40mm rimfire scope. It shoots ten shot 3/8" groups at 25 yards. It has only jammed once in more than 200 rounds. :shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

gt40

Attachments

• 6-3-2017 25 yds. .jpg
    6-3-2017 25 yds. .jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,439
  • archangel stock .jpg
    archangel stock .jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 1,442
  • 3-12x40mm bushnell .jpg
    3-12x40mm bushnell .jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,427
Last edited:

Possum

Banned
I've had the same 10/22 for 25 years. Put 10,000-15,000 rounds through it. I've never once taken it apart to clean it. Still shoots flawlessly. I've got 4 other .22s but the 10/22 is what I always grab when I go squirrel hunting or just feel like shooting something in back yard.

308 WIN

You are on the right track. Semi auto 22's have always been a joke to me. Now, once you get ahold of your first vintage Marlin 39M or 39TDS, you will have a piece worthy of handing down many more generations.

Never saw a need for a 22" barrel on a 22LR either, so the 39A never interested me, but still the best 22 action ever made.

deast1988

I love my cZ bolt actions
3CFBCB1B-0B54-4A6C-90A3-3396A65DD139_zps7sgg5apo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/deast1988/media/92D4FBD4-48DA-4689-901A-A7BD069FE930_zpsq6o7nt2c.jpg.html] [/URL]

The Henry is another awesome rifle

weagle

With regard to 10/22s, I pull a bore snake through the barrel, brush out the action occasionally with a tooth brush and shoot it. Unless something is broken there's no real reason to break it down.

I also have marlin 39 lever action a Marlin levermatic , a suppressed savage MKII, and a 1930's Savage sporter.

I'll always have at least one 10/22. They are just too fun.

Robert28

With regard to 10/22s, I pull a bore snake through the barrel, brush out the action occasionally with a tooth brush and shoot it. Unless something is broken there's no real reason to break it down.

I also have marlin 39 lever action a Marlin levermatic , a suppressed savage MKII, and a 1930's Savage sporter.

I'll always have at least one 10/22. They are just too fun.
I won't lie, the Remington Thunderbolt ammo I shoot is some filthy stuff, but I have tons of it as well as the golden bullets. However, I figured I'd try some Federal white box and blue box and I keep getting fail to feed and fail to eject between 50-100 rounds for some reason. It doesn't hiccup constantly, I'll clear the malfunction and it'll run but it just seems like it can't go longer than 50-100 rounds without needing to be taken completely down and cleaned. I think there could be something wrong with the bolt, maybe a burr or something but I'm scared to file on it because it looks so cheap. I will say that I have only run the stock 10 round magazine and 3 of the BX 25 mags, no butler creeks or any other type of mag.

My Browning Buckmark I used to have would eat anything and it ran and ran and ran.

Robert28

I bought 22 mag ammo for years just about every time I found it as long as it wasn't gouge priced so I'm in pretty good shape there. I also have a CZ-512 semi-auto 22 mag that I will never part with and I've bought and sold several other 22 mag rifles over the years.

As for the Henry survival rifle, I just can't get past the looks. I'm sure if I was in a bad situation with nothing else I would be happy to have it but I've got enough choices otherwise so I just can't do it.
Yeah they do look pretty goofy, but from what I hear the Air Force issued them to pilots, maybe they still do. The only thing I can tell you about the Ruger takedown is a friend had one and sold it rather quickly. He never said why, and I never asked but he didn't keep it a year. They do sell well though, and you never see them come up on the used market that often so maybe his reason was that he just didn't like it.

wareagle700

I love my cZ bolt actions

The Henry is another awesome rifle

Agreed. I love the CZ 452/455 rifles. I recently almost pulled the trigger on a Henry lever 22 but went with another CZ instead. The Henry's have always had me curious and one day I'm sure I'll get my hands on one, but I grew up knowing Marlin and Winchester were the only lever guns out there.

As for the 10/22, I don't know whats not to like. They don't seem complicated to me at all and mine have all been just as reliable as you can get. I've cleaned them before using a similar method to weagle, but not because they needed it.

I do love the look and feel of a solid bolt action 22 though. This new CZ may be my favorite.

CZ 455 SR by X Ring, on Flickr

pdsniper

I'm with you guys on the CZ bolt actions I have two of them a 22 and 22 mag and I love them and they are stupid accurate

Robert28

The Henry's are the best built lever guns on the market today. Bar none. They are as close as you're going to get to your old Marlins and Winchesters, and their action might be a bit smoother if you want to know the truth. They use brass for the front sight and the ammo tube, no plastic ANYWHERE on the gun. Once you get one in your hands you'll see what I'm talking about.

The CZ's are the best bolt action 22's on the market today in my opinion, but I already have a bolt action Remington from back in the day. I knew I didn't want another semi-auto 22 so went with a lever action.

Oh and I'm told that Henry customer service is top notch and most of the time it's the CEO you're dealing with via email or phone. How cool is that? There just might be a 44mag or 45-70 in my future if this .22 works out like I hope.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I love my 10/22. It's been absolutely reliable since I got it in 93. It has never jammed and I don't mind cleaning it.

It's wicked accurate too.

I also have a Remington 510 Targetmaster. It is ridiculously accurate and very easy to clean. Lol

jmoser

I got my Henry small game carbine at Xmas time; slicked up the action and added TruOil top coats to the already nice wood stock to make it really shine.

That is just one great American classic gun; super fun to shoot and plenty accurate at 50 yd with the peep sights.

BTW it feeds .22 shorts just perfect if you get the urge; something an auto and most bolt rifles wont do.

I want/need the .41 mag version now to match my Blackhawk !!

Robert28

I love my 10/22. It's been absolutely reliable since I got it in 93. It has never jammed and I don't mind cleaning it.

It's wicked accurate too.

I also have a Remington 510 Targetmaster. It is ridiculously accurate and very easy to clean. Lol

Ruger apparently changed the 10/22 up quite a bit in 2008/2009. Those older 10/22's like you have are highly sought after and are great guns! Mine was a 2011 model and it was terribly cheap.

wareagle700

Yeah the last few 10/22's I've purchased I have replaced the entire trigger groups with older ones and stocks with quality walnut. The new production barrel/action/bolts haven't given me any issues.

Robert28

I got my Henry small game carbine at Xmas time; slicked up the action and added TruOil top coats to the already nice wood stock to make it really shine.

That is just one great American classic gun; super fun to shoot and plenty accurate at 50 yd with the peep sights.

BTW it feeds .22 shorts just perfect if you get the urge; something an auto and most bolt rifles wont do.

I want/need the .41 mag version now to match my Blackhawk !!

Appreciate the review! I went with the small game rifle with the 20" barrel. I figured since I was only giving up a .75lb of extra eight and the added ammo capacity it would benefit me better. I also watched a video of a Henry rep shooting the 20" and you talk about quiet! You honestly could shoot this thing in town with the CCI CB ammo and your neighbor wouldn't hear it. It's quieter than a nail gun, and even when you shoot it no one would suspect you were shooting a gun.lol luckily I'm in the country but this would make a sweet survival rifle being so quiet and having 16 rounds of 22lr.

Latest posts