308 ?

Blackston

My daughter is 11 and she is 5 '6" and thick I know she's a big girl. All that aside. Lookin at rifles is 308 to much for her. I own one but don't wanna scare her or break her with to much gun. Any advice

ProAngler

I normally hunt with a 308, but I would not recommend it for a first time shooter. Especially a female. I’m 6’2 215 and I definitely notice every time I shoot it at the bench sighting in etc. not so much when I’m shooting a deer though. I always recommend 300 blk when this question comes up. The only 2 deer I have had DRT shots on have been with 300 BLK. If you are within 125 yards the deer won’t know the difference between 300blk and 308. The 300 BLK is a joy to shoot. You can watch it hit the target through the scope the recoil is so low. You can really focus on learning the basics of shooting accurately without having recoil in the back of your head. It would not however be my choice for the only deer riffle have. In the right situations it is excellent. Just make sure you use 110 or 120 grain rounds made to expand at 300blk velocity. Barnes are great and what I use, but a lot of other manufactures have made bullets designed for the caliber that I’m sure would also work great.

biggdogg

Get her a .243 and don't look back.

JackSprat

I have a .308, and I shoot it some times, so I'm not dissing on the caliber.

But there are many other calibers that have substantially less recoil that will kill any deer in Georgia just as dead as the .308.

A .243, .257 Roberts, .25-06, will be just as deadly. .257 Bob is my favorite, but the .243 is more familiar to more people.

killerv

You can buy factory reduced recoil loads for the 308 if you want to stick with getting a 308 and worried about the punch.

My 9yo 55lb boy is shooting a 708 with no issues.

You can buy factory reduced recoil loads for the 308 if you want to stick with getting a 308 and worried about the punch.

My 9yo 55lb boy is shooting a 708 with no issues.

This ^^^^. The .308 is a very versatile round and using reduced recoil loads feel like a .243, but with added diameter and enough power for clean 200 yard kills. What's not to like? :fine:

This is Hornady Custom Lite Specs:

Caliber 308 Winchester
Quantity 20 Round
Grain Weight 125 Grains
Muzzle Velocity 2675 Feet Per Second
Muzzle Energy 1986 Foot Pounds

Larry's place has it in stock now for $28/box

The reduced recoil loads from a 30-06 can duplicate any 30-30 round. Wish I had considered using them more before I purchased half a dozen rifle calibers. If you stick with 308 it leaves a lot of rifle for her to grow into.

Robert28

What I’d do is let her shoot your 308 first to see if she likes it. That’s really the only way you’ll know for sure. Honestly, it comes down to the gun and the weight. There’s some models that are so light that a 308 in them will thump the biggest of men, and then there’s rifles like my 700 ADL that weights an honest 7.5lbs without anything on it, that makes shooting 308 a dream.

ProAngler

ANyone had accuracy issues with the reduce recoil loads? My groups would always open up when I tried them.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I had the same dilemma when my son started hunting. Didn't want a gun that had too much recoil for him, but wanted a big enough caliber that if he didn't make a good shot we still had a good chance of recovering the deer.

He was 8 when he killed his first deer with my Remington 760. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it & used "managed recoil" ammo. He had no problems. I then bought him his own 308. He's 13 now & has killed 2 bucks with it.

Last edited:

transfixer

Let her shoot the .308 and she what she says, get her to shoot it 4 or 5 times, see if she starts to flinch. If she does, then I'd consider a .243, more than ample power for deer or hog sized game, ammo readily available, very mild recoil. I've owned one for over 30yrs, put an untold number of deer in the freezer with it.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I shot a .243 for many years and also a 3006. Now I only use the 3006 or the AR-15 and since I got an AR-15 in 5.56 it probably would be the perfect starter rifle for a beginner. It will kill deer with the best of them with almost zero recoil and very light too. It will allow her to become a much better shot also. :shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

gt40

PS: Plus it is a cool sporting rifle.

Attachments

• 65 grain sierra .jpg
    65 grain sierra .jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1,002
My grandaughter is 4'9" weighs 65# and skinny as a rail. She shoots a Ruger M77 compact in .308 with reduced recoil Hornady ammo. No problems with her first, 2nd, or 3rd deer. Her longest shot has been 90yrds.

Last edited:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Go 308 and don't look back!!!
My niece is 12, she shoots hornady reduce recoil out of her m77 compact.
I know lot of ammo companies make 308 reduce recoil. I cant speak for them cause we've never tried but Hornady's are tac drivers and VERY light recoil. I think they say try to stay 200 yards or less.
She killed her 4 point this past fall at about 80ish yards out. It ran 20 yards and piled up dead in sight.

Big7

The Oracle
.308 really ain't that bad. (recoil)

.243 will do ANYTHING a .308 will do on game.

My Dad started me on a 7.62X54r 10/11 years old. (about the same case capacity)
But because they are what they are, they kick a whole lot
more than a .308. Not to be confused with getting started with a .410 and a .22
about 8 or 9.

I didn't know any better until I shot my Uncle's 30-30.
Walk in the park.

I'd say start off a little harder and let her make up her
mind in time. .308 should be fine if that's what she knows from jump.

I'm talking medium capacity, short actions. Not a bazooka.

Last edited:

nmurph

My son started with a .270 reduced recoil a b had no problems. The .243 is also a viable alternative.

Major Wader

With MidwayUSA and Cabelas, virtually all calibers have readily available ammunition.

My new favorite caliber for whitetail deer is the .257 Roberts. Low recoil, 110 grain bullet at 3000 FPS kills deer dead. Had a couple of bang/flops this year on large bodied deer.

Last edited: