Is a mineral block or salt block considered bait?

martymac

My buddy and DNR Ranger walked by a natural salt lick that I sweeten up with powder trace mineral yearly said that it is legal on the counta he cannot see any pieces of trace mineral.

killa86

dig a hole pretty good size bout 3' wide and bout 1' deep loosen dirt and mix equal bag salt and mineral in hole with dirt can not be seen and they will tear it up because its loose once ground gets compacted again take a pick or hoe and loosen again

rosewood

Has anyone ever seen a turkey working a mineral block? I have seen turkeys walk buy them, but never seen one licking one. About the only critters I see on the block are deer and hogs.

Rosewood

rosewood

no msg

s&r

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering the same thing about whether mineral blocks are considered turkey bait by the DNR, in lieu of starting a new thread....

ryanh487

It is illegal until it's fully dissolved into the soil. If you can pick up a speck of mineral that was placed there, it's bait.

Big7

The Oracle
It is illegal until it's fully dissolved into the soil. If you can pick up a speck of mineral that was placed there, it's bait.

Not true.

Soil with dissolved salts (and there are a few kinds)
if tested is still bait.

Deer don't use it much in the cold but YOU
still have to be 200 yards and out of line of sight.

AND if you can see it from ten miles from your position,
it's bait. Distance is not an issue if it's in your line of sight.

Just Sayin'.

j_seph

Not true.

if tested is still bait.

Just Sayin'.
Heck I even had a DNR officer inform me that if you are watching a trail headed to it you are illegal even if out of sight and 250 yards away.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Not true.

if tested is still bait.

100% incorrect.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Not true.

if tested is still bait.

Just Sayin'.

100% incorrect.

^This^ on the "dissolved" part and ^this^ on the "don't use it much in the cold" part as well....

Killdee

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering the same thing about whether mineral blocks are considered turkey bait by the DNR, in lieu of starting a new thread....

If its one of those molasses salt with corn in it you would be illegal is hunting nearby.

Killdee

Heck I even had a DNR officer inform me that if you are watching a trail headed to it you are illegal even if out of sight and 250 yards away.

He would be as uninformed as some of our members on here.

rosewood

If its one of those molasses salt with corn in it you would be illegal is hunting nearby.

What I am referring to is salt with trace minerals. The kind u put out for cows.

Killdee

Well a member on here got a baiting ticket a few years back for a few sunflower seeds in a snack bag so ??????

Big7

The Oracle
What I am referring to is salt with trace minerals. The kind u put out for cows.

Still bait.

Has to be 200 yards from you AND out of line of sight.

201 yards over a hill where you can't see it, you are
good.

If it's in your line of sight and the right GW with an attitude comes along, he/she can bust you. No matter the shooting distance.

A little side advice.
Get in good with your GW.

Before my Mama and Uncle sold the farm, I had a problem with my Granny's nephew.

He put corn under my stand, I called my GW
that I had come "inspect" the land a few times before.

Anyhooo.. I found the corn, called her and she knew it was not me.

She told me to shovel it up and hunt in that stand.

Moral to the story, be in good with your GW. ;)

rosewood

Hmm. I can't hit a turkey at 200 yards. At least not with any legal firearms. 200 yards makes sense with deer, but turkey, not so much.

Well, maybe blackpowder, I suppose...