Fun with mineral blocks

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Tractor Supply had its mineral blocks on clearance so I thought I’d try a comparison test that we could watch for a few months.
First I put out out this mineral/feed block near a feeder on the back of the property.
IMG_0521.jpeg
About 100 yards away I put an apple flavored deer mineral block on a trail through some sedge grass.
IMG_0522.jpeg
On the power line I put this conventional cattle mineral block.
IMG_0523.jpeg
Finally about 100 yards from the power line I put the natural deer mineral block recommended by @fireman32 that he had good results with. Since it’s a smaller block I wedged it in a holly stump to try to keep anything from stealing it.
IMG_0525.jpeg
Now let’s just wait and see what happens! Y’all remind me if I don’t give an update every month or so.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I bet the first one will disappear soon and the rest will turn into a hole after a few months ! Also looking forward to the comparison .
I need to check out my local TC

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I bet the first one will disappear soon and the rest will turn into a hole after a few months ! Also looking forward to the comparison .
I need to check out my local TC
I’m thinking that mineral/feed block will go first too since it’s a mix of minerals and corn and other stuff all compressed together. The other 3 will be interesting because they’re all on trails and will be found fairly easy.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The grain/molasses mineral block from TS, the hogs on my place will destroy them in a couple of nights. The deer rarely mess with them.

The regular red mineral blocks the deer absolutely love.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I've had good luck using granular trace mineral salt on a stump or hung in a dripper.

Last edited:

specialk

Looking forward to watching this unfold....ive always used plain ole white block cow salt....

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Looking forward to watching this unfold....ive always used plain ole white block cow salt....
I saw one of those at Tractor Supply and almost picked it up too. I do have one more place I could put one across the creek. I'll grab one when I'm back in there next week.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
As we expected, the berry flavored mineral/feed block near the feeder is getting hit pretty hard and they're pawing around it. The others just show a little wear from the rain and I think some critters may have chewed a little off them but no deer yet that I can tell.
IMG_0543.jpeg