Fun with mineral blocks

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
It's been about a month since I put the blocks out.

While the deer continue to work on the mineral/feed block, the others haven’t been eaten up as much. The red cattle mineral block I put on the power line has nearly melted away in all the rain we’ve had the past month. We’ll see if the deer eat the dirt it’s melting into.
Mineral/feed block
IMG_0539.jpeg
Cattle block on power line
IMG_0549.jpeg
Apple mineral block
IMG_0550.jpeg
The natural block hasn’t changed much. I don’t think they’ve found it yet. The cattle mineral block on the power line surprised me. While all the other blocks are in the woods under varying amounts of tree cover, I didn't expect it to melt so fast just because it was exposed in the middle of the cut through. Take that as a lesson if you want to put one on a power line. A best practice might be to set it a few steps into the tree line to prevent it melting away.

Last edited:

specialk

While the deer continue to work on the mineral/feed block, the others haven’t been eaten up as much. The red cattle mineral block I put on the power line has nearly melted away in all the rain we’ve had the past month. We’ll see if the deer eat the dirt it’s melting into.
Mineral/feed block
View attachment 1286349
View attachment 1286347
Apple mineral block
View attachment 1286348
The natural block hasn’t changed much. I don’t think they’ve found it yet. The cattle mineral block on the power line surprised me. While all the other blocks are in the woods under varying amounts of tree cover, I didn't expect it to melt so fast just because it was exposed in the middle of the cut through. Take that as a lesson if you want to put one on a power line. A best practice might be to set it a few steps into the tree line to prevent it melting away.

They will lick the ground trying to get that salt up...out one on a stump and they will it it to the roots ..

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Any update? The mineral and sulfur blocks I put out haven’t been touched. Bought a trophy rock today, maybe they’ll come back to it.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Any update? The mineral and sulfur blocks I put out haven’t been touched. Bought a trophy rock today, maybe they’ll come back to it.
Hang you some grandular trace mineral salt in a burlap sack or bucket with holes to make a drip, they will tear it up

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Hang you some grandular trace mineral salt in a burlap sack or bucket with holes to make a drip, they will tear it up
May try that this year. I’ve had great success with trophy rocks in the past. Tried the mineral and sulfur blocks just to see and the deer apparently don’t like them. My neighbor is also a heavy protein feeder, so the deer might be eating his groceries.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
May try that this year. I’ve had great success with trophy rocks in the past. Tried the mineral and sulfur blocks just to see and the deer apparently don’t like them. My neighbor is also a heavy protein feeder, so the deer might be eating his groceries.
They dig holes here, but @ 6 to 7 dollars a bag compared to 20 or 25, I'll go with the feed store stuff. Dump you out 10 pounds to kick start your drip.

Did read where they didn't need all the packed supplements to grow big, but don't tell the horn hunters that, but they only can use so much vitamins, mineral and protein, rest gets passed through.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

Mineral/feed block
View attachment 1286349
View attachment 1286347
Apple mineral block
View attachment 1286348
Are you sure it’s melting? I don’t think it is, I think it’s getting hammered! Seems like if it were melting, the entire exterior of the block should melt.…..unless it’s from puddling? The edges on top of that block look pretty intact. But it looks like the other side was broke off or ground into the ground. Not sure, but that’s what it looks like to me……put a cam on it!

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
The feed/mineral blocks like that just fall apart if/when they get wet and like Dan said, a bear will sit there and eat the whole thing in one sitting around here.

common man

I've had good luck just digging a small hole and just putting the fine salt out at tractor supply. Seems to get in ground fast.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Buddy gave me two of them feed blocks. Put one out and it didn't last but one nite. Put the other one out with a camera on it. Big male bear eat block in 2 hrs.
Wow! I don’t doubt it, but dang, it ain’t a sugar block!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Are you sure it’s melting? I don’t think it is, I think it’s getting hammered! Seems like if it were melting, the entire exterior of the block should melt.…..unless it’s from puddling? The edges on top of that block look pretty intact. But it looks like the other side was broke off or ground into the ground. Not sure, but that’s what it looks like to me……put a cam on it!
Yeah, it's definitely melting in the rain from the bottom up as the water runs down the hill. That's fine though because the deer will probably dig a hole for the salt now.