The Dangers of Blending Politics and Deer Management

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Kip doesn't like baiting with corn piles. We get it, so he writes an article that makes it look bad when legislators back step when faced with enough public pressure against a policy the public doesn't like.

In America that is called the Governing being accountable to the Governed and is how our system of law is set up. Not sure what system of law or alternative government system he'd like to see.

shdw633

They hadn't started all the supplemental feeding hype to begin with we wouldn't be wanting to hunt over corn piles. Prior to QDMA everyone just went hunting, then they started with all this one to one ratio and supplemental feeding, herd management, etc, etc and now everyone is doing just that but they found they had better success in their management of the herd when they used corn so now they want it legalized so they don't get in trouble for it if it is in the vicinity. So if QDMA doesn't like whats going on they only have themselves to blame for it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Prior to QDMA everyone just went hunting, then they started with all this one to one ratio and supplemental feeding, herd management
I remember the magazines coming out with pictures of a couple of does and a spike, and sometimes it would be a young buck and a doe with the question “Which one do you shoot”.

Then they had just bucks in the picture and had a long story about potential and culling bucks.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I remember the magazines coming out with pictures of a couple of does and a spike, and sometimes it would be young buck and a doe with the question “Which one do you shoot”. I always got it wrong cause they said the doe.
I got it rite because the spike ran off.
Oh I get it now that was hypothetical
Eeerrrr that didn’t really happen.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I got it rite because the spike ran off.
Oh I get it now that was hypothetical
Eeerrrr that didn’t really happen.
No that was just you getting busted before you found out about scent kill ::ke:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
all mala prohibita laws are politically based.

NorthGaHunter

Yes, politicians can really screw things up all in pursuit of a vote. I can see politicians should listen to their constituents but there are a few instances where decisions should not be made based entirely on what the people they represent are requesting.

All the people in the northern zone saying if the southern zone can bait then the northern half should be able to do it too. Well I disagree with the thinking the whole state should be allowed to bait. IMO the extreme north Georgia counties should be excluded from baiting...specifically counties such as Union, Towns, Fannin, Lumpkin, Gilmer, Rabun, etc. The deer population in the north Georgia mountains have been declining for a very long time. Baiting on public land will never be allowed but there is a lot of private land that adjoins the national forest/mountain WMA's. If baiting is allowed on private land, then that can very well be disastrous for a deer heard that is already struggling. The north Georgia mountains are unique in that most game depend on acorns in the fall / winter. In years where the is a mast failure, the people baiting on private land can very well decimate what very few deer that are left.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Yes, politicians can really screw things up all in pursuit of a vote. I can see politicians should listen to their constituents but there are a few instances where decisions should not be made based entirely on what the people they represent are requesting.

All the people in the northern zone saying if the southern zone can bait then the northern half should be able to do it too. Well I disagree with the thinking the whole state should be allowed to bait. IMO the extreme north Georgia counties should be exclude from baiting...specifically counties such as Union, Towns, Fannin, Lumpkin, Gilmer, Rabun, etc. The deer population in the north Georgia mountains have been declining for a very long time. Baiting on public land will never be allowed but there is a lot of private land that adjoins the national forest/mountain WMA's. If baiting is allowed on private land, then that can very well be disastrous for a deer heard that is already struggling. The north Georgia mountains are unique in that most game depend on acorns in the fall / winter. In years where the is a mast failure, the people baiting on private land can very well decimate what very deer that are left.

For the sake of argument wouldn't food plots do the same if no food drives them to where the food is on private lands?

NorthGaHunter

For the sake of argument wouldn't food plots do the same if no food drives them to where the food is on private lands?

Yes they could but due to the terrain you can't just plant a food plot anywhere. Also it takes more effort to establish a food plot as opposed to throwing some corn out. There are fields where you will see a lot of deer when food is scarce but those areas get limited hunting pressure from those that have access to hunt them. Legalizing baiting in the mountain counties will pretty much allow anyone to go buy a bag of corn throw it out and thus having a bigger impact in more remote areas away from fields/food plots.

Last edited:

one hogman

All the people in the northern zone saying if the southern zone can bait then the northern half should be able to do it too. Well I disagree with the thinking the whole state should be allowed to bait. IMO the extreme north Georgia counties should be excluded from baiting...specifically counties such as Union, Towns, Fannin, Lumpkin, Gilmer, Rabun, etc. The deer population in the north Georgia mountains have been declining for a very long time. Baiting on public land will never be allowed but there is a lot of private land that adjoins the national forest/mountain WMA's. If baiting is allowed on private land, then that can very well be disastrous for a deer heard that is already struggling. The north Georgia mountains are unique in that most game depend on acorns in the fall / winter. In years where the is a mast failure, the people baiting on private land can very well decimate what very few deer that are left.

Where were QDMA in 2011?? and why hasn't the deer herd been destroyed in the SZ Especially with all the competition from the Hogs and bears?? and finally IF you are against baiting just don't bait, how simple is that!!!

one hogman

Yes they could but due to the terrain you can't just plant a food plot anywhere. Also it takes more effort to establish a food plot as opposed to throwing some corn out. There are fields where you will see a lot of deer when food is scarce but those areas get limited hunting pressure from those that have access to hunt them. Legalizing baiting in the mountain counties will pretty much allow anyone to go buy a bag of corn throw it out and thus having a bigger impact in more remote areas away from fields/food plots.

Another thing that makes your argument invalid is all the Chattahoochee National Forest, WMAs, and Federal land in the north where you can't bait..........

lampern

The DNR is proposing to make the Chattahoochee NF the northern zone where baiting 200 yards and out of sight will become legal.

But state law specifically says elsewhere baiting on fed lands is not allowed.

A judge will decide this if the DNR goes there.

Why make a place where baiting is by law illegal , a place where baiting will be declared legal?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Why make a place where baiting is by law illegal , a place where baiting will be declared legal?

Why concern yourself with the politics of another State that you don't hunt in?:pop:

wow.... when I told fellow hunters that your game regulations and laws had been guided by QDMA policies I was chastised. At least now you people can see it in print for yourself.

s&r

red neck richie

Just because you put corn out doesn't mean you have to kill every deer that comes to it. If there are that few deer in that area perhaps you should be preaching trigger control.

leejohn

The hypocrisy with this issue has been unreal for years. QDMA on one hand endorses supplemental feeding but opposes baiting using the spread of disease as their main reason for doing so. I was at the DNR public meeting in Thomson last night when the Director of GWF stood up and spoke against baiting because of the spread of disease. Remember GWF is the sponsor of the Buckarama.How many feeders and supplemental feeds/attractants have you seen while walking around the Buckarama over the years?

Meriwether Mike

Man is always best when left to his own devices?;) After all it took sound wildlife management principles to bring the deer and turkey back from near extinction in Georgia. Lets throw those principals away for our own convenience? You want your corn. Good luck with it.(n)

Last edited: