Drug addicts, tobacco users and fat people.

REDMOND1858

i am overweight and it didnt and dont cost taxpayers a dime....stupid
No I doesn’t, at least not yet.

Being a dipper doesn’t cost the taxpayers either, until I develope throat cancer and have to spend a year going through multiple surgeries and procedures, end up on disability, with Medicare/Medicaid whichever, and a shiney new Georgia peach card.

Only difference is, is socially acceptable for you to be fat, develope high BP/diabetes, have a heart attack and end up in the same boat as me.

Last edited:

REDMOND1858

For the record, NARCAN doesn't automatically cost taxpayers a dime. Ambulance companies are privately owned with government contracts for 911 response. Nothing on those trucks is paid for by the government unless the patient is already on medicare/medicaid and Medicare/medicaid actually pays the bill they are sent. The majority of OD's actually occur in middle and upper middle class areas from rebelious teens, according to a narcotic detective I've spoken with about the issue. The ambulance company eats the cost of anything not covered by insurance of some variety.
No it doesn’t cost the taxpayer anything most of the time....still doesn’t keep the fat guy from suggesting we stop giving it though.

j_seph

Drug addicts:
Use drug of choice to get a high.
Makes them feel better.
Often experience Long term health problems or death.
Small fraction of population, roughly (10-15%)
Socially unacceptable.
ILLEGAL!

Tobacco users:
Drug of choice is nicotine.
Enjoyable by user and makes them feel better.
Often experience long term health problems and eventually death.
Legal, but regulated by the government and taxed at astronomical rates.
Moderate usage by population (16-18%)
Age restrictions
Socially unacceptable.

Fat people:
Drug of choice is sugar, carbs, fats.
Enjoyable and satisfying by consumer.
Often experience long term healt problems or death.
Legal, unregulated, no age restriction
Majority of population (50-75%) depending on which study you use
Socially acceptable.
Drugs= Choice they made
Nicotine=Choice they made
Overweight= Not necessarily a choice they made. Late wife got excessively overweight. Not because she enjoyed eating but from drugs prescribed to help her. My dad slightly overweight, not because he eats too much. I eat more than him, way more but he is disabled and cannot work the smallest calories away to control weight.
Wide brush stroke there on overweight folks.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
What do you suggest be done with these people?
Leper Colonies worked so well you could incorporate Drug, Smoking and Fat into them.

naildrvr

I smoked for 20 years. Quit in January 2017. I gained 22 lbs fairly quickly. Smoking is a stinking habit but I miss it. I realized that I wasn't getting younger and I want to see me kids grow up. I am remodeling a bathroom for someone that just went into another room and smoked something that smells like a dead skunk, then tried to cover it up with a scented vape thing. And to top that off, when I got here this morning he and another male figure came out of the kitchen and were only half dressed:eek:

notnksnemor

I smoked for 20 years. Quit in January 2017. I gained 22 lbs fairly quickly. Smoking is a stinking habit but I miss it. I realized that I wasn't getting younger and I want to see me kids grow up. I am remodeling a bathroom for someone that just went into another room and smoked something that smells like a dead skunk, then tried to cover it up with a scented vape thing. And to top that off, when I got here this morning he and another male figure came out of the kitchen and were only half dressed:eek:

You ain't gettin'......

Never mind, I got nuthin'.

rayjay

And here I am struggling to stay at 180. 6.2 tall. Mono vision contacts.
6'1'' and 157 this morning. You should have seen me 3 years ago when I was 135 !! 2000 calories a day put the weight right back on. Unfortunately I didn't feel like exercising while doing 6 months of chemo so the weight went right to my paunch.

REDMOND1858

?‍♂️ Your on your own there bud

notnksnemor

I’m not suggesting anything whatsoever.
I’m simply asking why it’s socially acceptable to kill yourself with one drug (sugar) and not another (tobacco,alcohol,whatever)??

The answer to your question is a question...
What gives society the right to dictate what an individual is allowed to do to "themselves"?
Answering that one, should answer yours.