Next Season's Plots

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Way ahead of you, son! :) Asked Santa for a new ATV spreader, since I'm finding the seeds of my choice, getting smaller all the time!

Planning out a new Dove Plot for early season next year.

Putting a list together for a couple of "work weekends".

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Me too. Bad part is I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon next week to discuss the possibility of shoulder surgery. If we end up doing that I will be dependent on using my finger to point out what needs doing to my son and grandkids ;)

Lilly001

And it begins again.
I'm thinking a little expansion, two new shoot houses, fixing up my creek crossings so heavy rain doesn't mess up my access again.
Lots to do.
Now for some dry, cold weather to get me started.

SRShunter

I do the same thing. Love hunting and love making things better for it!!! Just wished I had yalls experience and knowledge with foodplots, but I'm getting better thanks to yall? btw having a green tractor that runs helps too?

davidhelmly

We try and keep the pressure on our lease as low as possible and don’t do any riding around so I’m really looking forward to be able to look at all of our plots to see how they look and make a plan.
Also there’s a chance we may pick up some more property so that has my wheels turning too.
We didn’t turn any dirt this year, just killed and overseeded a few plots and they looked great a few months back but want to see them again also.
In the future I’m going to try and plow as little as possible and have been salivating over a minimal till seeder for a couple of years, I broke down and ordered one a few weeks ago so I can’t wait for it to get here. I’m hoping it will significantly cut down on planting time, best case scenario it will be a one step process!

GeorgeShu

David, I too have gone pretty much to a no till system. The no till drill idea is appealing but can not justify the cost of purchase for my small acreage of plots. My preferred method of seeding has been throw and mow and so far it has worked out just fine.
I try to take advantage of self reseeding plants like the annual clovers and I think I get some reseeding from letting my wheat and rye grow to maturity. They do drop some seed and I think some of it does come back.
In a pinch I could always run the harrow lightly over the plot to cover seed but so far have resisted even doing that.
Keep us posted about your new seeder, show us some pics if you would. Would love to see it and your results too.
Many ways to skin a cat......Lol!

davidhelmly

That's what I have always used in the past and it was fine but I did order a T handled probe to use this year, save myself a little bending!

SRShunter

We try and keep the pressure on our lease as low as possible and don’t do any riding around so I’m really looking forward to be able to look at all of our plots to see how they look and make a plan.
Also there’s a chance we may pick up some more property so that has my wheels turning too.
We didn’t turn any dirt this year, just killed and overseeded a few plots and they looked great a few months back but want to see them again also.
In the future I’m going to try and plow as little as possible and have been salivating over a minimal till seeder for a couple of years, I broke down and ordered one a few weeks ago so I can’t wait for it to get here. I’m hoping it will significantly cut down on planting time, best case scenario it will be a one step process!
Something we need to start doing on ours...keep the pressure down. We hunted hard this season and I'm sure the deer are glad it's over. Our plots were the best yet this year and I'm sure the deer are really enjoying them now without having to smell us. We hunt in sc close to the Savannah river and our season ended January 1st.

Triple C

David - What planter did you decide on?

SRShunter

Maybe one day I can get into the no till drill method and such, but for now we gonna tear some dirt up and plant. #babysteps