Speaking of Ramps,

greg j

how far north do i have to go to find them? I live in Carrollton. I don't think they are this far south. When i lived in Michigan and Illinois i was able to find them
all over in the woods in MI, and forest preserves in Il.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here in western NC, I usually find them on north-facing slopes in cove hardwoods above about 3000' elevation. You will have to get into the N GA mountains with similar conditions to find them. I'd say Rabun, Towns, and Union Counties are gonna be about your only bet in GA. And they aren't everywhere, they're quite localized.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Here in western NC, I usually find them on north-facing slopes in cove hardwoods above about 3000' elevation. You will have to get into the N GA mountains with similar conditions to find them. I'd say Rabun, Towns, and Union Counties are gonna be about your only bet in GA. And they aren't everywhere, they're quite localized.

Do you know about when they start showing up?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know about when they start showing up?
Here, usually around the first week of April. They grow until about mid-late May, then the leaves turn yellow and die back to the ground. In midsummer, the flower stalk comes up, with no leaves. The seed pods are persistant into early winter.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Here, usually around the first week of April. They grow until about mid-late May, then the leaves turn yellow and die back to the ground. In midsummer, the flower stalk comes up, with no leaves. The seed pods are persistant into early winter.

Thanks, I've been wanting to hunt some down lately.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
There's some in Northern White Co. and Lumpkin as well just gotta know where.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Are you allowed to pick them on the WMA's/ Nat forest in White or Lumkin cnty?
For small amounts for personal use, yes except in designated wilderness. Anything you plan to sell or collect a lot of requires a forest products permit from USFS.

greg j

Thanks for the info, I guess i'll have to take a day trip up to the N GA. Mtns to look for a few. I like using them in recipes and even eating them raw.
They grew wild around my uncles dairy farm in Michigan and i remember
one time when the cows got into them and ate them. When you miked the cows the whole dang barn smelled like onions/garlic!!!!!!!!!!! made your eyes water

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info, I guess i'll have to take a day trip up to the N GA. Mtns to look for a few. I like using them in recipes and even eating them raw.
They grew wild around my uncles dairy farm in Michigan and i remember
one time when the cows got into them and ate them. When you miked the cows the whole dang barn smelled like onions/garlic!!!!!!!!!!! made your eyes water
When I was a kid and we had a milk cow, dad would make me go around the pasture and dig up all the wild field garlic, it had the same effect.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
What are 'ramps'?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What are 'ramps'?
Allium tricoccum, a delicious wild plant in the onion family that grows in the woods and has a strong odor and flavor. They call them wild leeks up north. Digging and eating them in the spring is a long tradition here in the mountains. My town even has a big ramp festival every year. Big-time chefs have picked up on them the last few years.

41Y4y4nNjYL.jpg

deermaster13

I have some good friends up in Western nc. We camped in catalooche a week fishing and we ate them scrambled in our eggs. Fine eating!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Allium tricoccum, a delicious wild plant in the onion family that grows in the woods and has a strong odor and flavor. They call them wild leeks up north. Digging and eating them in the spring is a long tradition here in the mountains. My town even has a big ramp festival every year. Big-time chefs have picked up on them the last few years.

View attachment 962421

Snowbear Tyler brought some down when we were doing a show together a couple of years ago and gave me a mess of them. I scrambled them with eggs and they were mighty good. I bet they would go well in hushpuppies too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Snowbear Tyler brought some down when we were doing a show together a couple of years ago and gave me a mess of them. I scrambled them with eggs and they were mighty good. I bet they would go well in hushpuppies too.
Best hushpuppies on the planet.