Crepe Myrtle - How Far To Cut Back

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I have two Crepe Myrtle that will completely cut down next fall, but I want to trim them back as far as I can for now.

The main limbs are about 10' tall and about 3-4" in diameter. The new growth each year usually extends from there 6-8 feet.

How far down the main limbs can I cut? I dont think you can kill a Crepe Myrtle, can you?

the reason I want to trim now and not cut completely down is because over the last year I have let this place go downhill dealing with my dad and I have too much to do but want it to look halfway nice.

Thanks for any advice.

Stob

Seriously thinking about knocking them down to the ground tomorrow and then drilling a few holes and inserting in some death juice.

My Stihl is up at the shack in the hills and all I have to work with is a 14" DeWalt battery powered saw.

They are cut back for now but I may get the energy up to just kill them.

B. White

If you are going to cut them anyway, do it now and be done with it. Should take about 5 mins and a little time to haul it off.

I'm doing the opposite now and trimming several to recover from years of being cut back and let them grow naturally, so the only trimming after a couple of years should be suckers and just enough to keep them opened up.

Doesn't take me long to cut several 3-5" limbs from each. Would be a lot faster to cut them off ground level and be done with it.

dutchie49

Wife and I visited the Bamboo garden near Savannah and they had a display of mature Crepe Myrtle's, The bark on the trunks is very beautiful and they shame cutting it back, they call it "Myrtle Murder". My neighbor had 2 on our property line he would cut down every year. After seeing the ones at the garden I convinced him to let me trim them each year. I only take off new shoots and keep the top uncluttered from dead branches. They look beautiful.

Oldstick

I am in the letting them grow camp. (Except in the OP's case where he plans to remove them)

I have two in the front yard and I want them to serve as small-ish trees. These are the only trees in front, due to removing a lot of pines some years back. So about once or twice a year, I only cut back the suckers and any new low hanging limbs that get in the way of mowing.

However, I can understand the huge cutbacks that you most often see if they are serving as sort of hedgerow vs. a small tree.

Swamprat

Swamprat
If you do not cut them back and leave alone this is what they can become. Little shady spot in my yard on a hot afternoon.

Attachments

• crepe myrtle.jpg
    crepe myrtle.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 88

georgia_home

I always kept the trunk and the first branch off as the base. with the yearly shorts off that.

2 years trimming with loppers just above the first shoot off.

Chainsaw every 3 years or so trim a little below the knuckle …. It looked like a war club with the knots and part of the base

Stob

If you are going to cut them anyway, do it now and be done with it. Should take about 5 mins and a little time to haul it off.

I'm doing the opposite now and trimming several to recover from years of being cut back and let them grow naturally, so the only trimming after a couple of years should be suckers and just enough to keep them opened up.

Doesn't take me long to cut several 3-5" limbs from each. Would be a lot faster to cut them off ground level and be done with it.
Wife and I visited the Bamboo garden near Savannah and they had a display of mature Crepe Myrtle's, The bark on the trunks is very beautiful and they shame cutting it back, they call it "Myrtle Murder". My neighbor had 2 on our property line he would cut down every year. After seeing the ones at the garden I convinced him to let me trim them each year. I only take off new shoots and keep the top uncluttered from dead branches. They look beautiful.
I planted these trying to satisfy my wife about 15 years ago and WAY too close to the house. Although beautiful, they have rotted my siding. Their roots are also getting to big for the area that they are in and will eventually bust into my basement or underground pipes.

I loved them but they are no more as of about 2:30. this is reason 4,638,503 not to do things to satisfy your wife while drinking. :bounce:

B. White

Cut em down. That is funny. My wife begged me to plant some for 30 yrs and I never would. The ones we have now were here when we moved in and the closest is about 50 yds from the house and the furthest about 150, so I figured I'd try and make them grow like they should.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I guess it gets enough morning and afternoon sun is the only thing I can figure.

Oldstick

I guess it gets enough morning and afternoon sun is the only thing I can figure.
Could be. I have one over 20 YO that size and plenty of grass around it along with another I planted a few years ago. They are in full sun pretty much all day.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
If you do not cut them back and leave alone this is what they can become. Little shady spot in my yard on a hot afternoon.
That is gorgeous! I just had to read this thread to my wife since she’s been asking me for some for 20 years…..that was too funny. I’ve held out so far But if I ever plant another house tree it’ll be that!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The bark on the fauriei cultivars like "Townhouse" is especially striking. Plant them where there's room for them to grow to maturity, and prune them for thinning and form instead of "cutting them back." Train them as a multi-trunk tree, and just remove low, crossing, dead, stacked, inward-facing, and downward facing branches.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Could be. I have one over 20 YO that size and plenty of grass around it along with another I planted a few years ago. They are in full sun pretty much all day.

This one was here when we bought our place in 2003 and was the same size then. We estimate it from neighbors who have been around forever that it is around 50 years old and possibly older.

My house has been around since the 40's, old farmhouse that has been added on, etc, but one neighbor who passed several years ago was pretty convinced that it was gifted by his uncle to folks who first lived in my house.

Who knows, not sure if a crepe myrtle can live for 80 or so years. All I do is prune off any dead stuff I can reach and fertilize twice a year.

Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Also have had a few times the older ladies from the garden club come and look at it. Wife would tell them sure no problem.

"If you all need to cool off or use the bathroom the house key is hidden in so and so spot or the door is unlocked"

Heck when we bought the place asked the realtor for house keys and he said nobody could find them or had them on a key chain. realtor payed to have all new locks installed and for 10-12 years we never locked the doors and would be gone at work all day.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
We have a line of them down our road fence line that randomly started growing. They have increased right down the fence line over the last few decades. No cutting at all they look really good

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Don't commit crepe rape! Let 'em grow! :rockon:

Latest posts