Crepe Myrtle - How Far To Cut Back

35 Whelen

Oldstick

Another couple. Heard comments in past years from ignorant relatives, "How come steve is the only one who doesn't cut his crepe myrtles down every fall???"

You can see the places where it did get cut down in the past, before I moved in.

That's my opinion, they are intended to be smaller sized yard trees. Not shrubbery or hedges and not suitable for planting close to a house.

Attachments

• IMG_0006 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0006 (1280x960).jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Another couple. Heard comments in past years from ignorant relatives, "How come steve is the only one who doesn't cut his crepe myrtles down every fall???"

You can see the places where it did get cut down in the past, before I moved in.

That's my opinion, they are intended to be smaller sized yard trees. Not shrubbery or hedges and not suitable for planting close to a house.
If you want a head-high shrub, plant something that grows as a head-high shrub. Don't plant a tree and try to force it to be a shrub.

Oldstick

If you want a head-high shrub, plant something that grows as a head-high shrub. Don't plant a tree and try to force it to be a shrub.
Plus, they will become a beautiful flowering tree at least once or twice a year, if they are allowed room to grow.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Geffellz18

I can’t stand the things now-I’d cut and burn em down!
Whoever owned the home before me must have loved the things as there were no less than 16 planted around the yard. I cut down and removed the root ball for the 8 or so planted right by the house. The remaining root strands STILL have offshoots try to grow.
They are pretty trees, I agree but I replaced them around the house beds with a regular & red Dogwood and Japanese Magnolia along with some shrubs.