Oldest Piece of Hunting Gear?

krizia829

Saw an article earlier today on wideopenspaces.com about oldest piece of hunting gear. Thought it would be interesting to see what you guys still take out to the woods that may have been passed down for years and generations. What's your oldest piece (anywhere from clothing to firearm and everything in between)? How old is it and do you have a picture to share? Other than my Ruger 44 carbine from 1973 that was my grandfathers, I don't really have anything else.. Let's see what you got!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The oldest piece of hunting gear I own is this Suwanee projectile point I found here in Georgia dating back to the Paleo Time Period. 10,000 to 11,000 years old. The man who made and used it saw Colombian mammoths and other Ice Age megafauna. The turkey call is 100 years old, made by my Grandfather in 1919.

Suwanee.jpgOld call 1.jpg

sleepr71

Not much. Just my old 600 Mohawk,that’s been rechambered to .223. It’s what we all start out Deer & Coyote hunting with. It’s a sweet little rifle,especially with that flat forend. It lays on a rest like it was meant to be ?. I’ll eventually end up with my dads .35 Marlin & a few others from the 1960’s.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Like Nic, I've got some hunting artifacts that date back 10,000 plus years.

But the oldest gear I regularly carry is a WW2 musette bag that my grandfather carried. I got it after he passed away and I wove a shoulder strap for it.

19110968128_128fca31f8_b.jpg

Rabun

I've got some old stuff that was handed down to me, but the oldest item I bring with me hunting...depending on season, is my 1970 marlin 336 in .35 remington that my Dad handed down to me. Don't have a pic handy though

shdw633

I still take out my great Uncle Freds Winchester model 12 12 gauge pump shotgun. It was built in 1921 and my great uncle passed it down to my father, who passed it down to me.

TomC

Oldest that I still use.........an 80's Fletcher Fletchhunter release. Still slays em and every time I pull it out of my pack it reminds me of sitting in a pine tree on Clark Hill WMA as a teenager in one of the original Summits with the fold up seat with my Hoyt Pro Hunter in my lap or shooting spots in the back yard with my Hoyt Pro Medalist. Ohhhhhh the memories........miss the 80's for sure! Was a great decade for huntin' and livin'!!!!

Last edited:

fishman1957

I carry my dads LC Smith 12 ga sometimes , used to always carry his Kabar knife from WW2 in my pack don't anymore would be sad if I ever lost it .... Just got my Grand Paps 16 ga Winchester pump will use this year for small game although he killed a lot of Pa. deer with it only gun he used for hunting ...

bubbafowler

I wear my dad's old orange vest. Remember it from when I was young. When I was about 17 he fell out of a tree with it on. Paramedics had to cut it off. He bought a new one and i sewed it up and now i wear it still 17 years later. Maybe it's time to pass it down. Here's me sort of and my daughter with her second deer. 20190528_223139.jpg

MYRX

I have a 1984 Winchester 270 and a custom made 1986 knife from Sweden. Neither are really old, but have served me well for years. I am the first in my family to take up deer hunting.

krizia829

Oldest that I still use.........an 80's Fletcher Fletchhunter release. Still slays em and every time I pull it out of my pack it reminds me of sitting in a pine tree on Clark Hill WMA as a teenager in one of the original Summits with the fold up seat with my Hoyt Pro Hunter in my lap or shooting spots in the back yard with my Hoyt Pro Medalist. Ohhhhhh the memories........miss the 80's for sure! Was a great decade for huntin' and livin'!!!!
That's so awesome! I'm a 90's baby ('91) so I wouldn't know how it was like but I remember as a kid going to Alabama every winter and the memories hunting with dogs and the stands were all wood instead of the metal stands and taking my single shot .410 with me. Good times for sure!