Illinois Lottery Process

7dawg9

I need help in navigating the IL lottery process. I'd like to get archery and firearms permits. Can I get both through the lottery, or do I have to by one OTC? Also, on the website when I go to apply for Firearms permit, it asks if I will accept a second season permit. Does this mean I get a permit that's not good for the first season. This makes Colorado's process seem as simple as See Spot Run. Now that I've exposed my ignorance, y'all help me !

Jrashop

Ive hunted there for going on 20 years. Archery is over the counter. BTW they just leagalized crossbows last year. I never, ever accept second season or they will stick you in it. I and all I hunt with always do first season choice. Any other questions?

livetohunt

Ive hunted there for going on 20 years. Archery is over the counter. BTW they just leagalized crossbows last year. I never, ever accept second season or they will stick you in it. I and all I hunt with always do first season choice. Any other questions?

I do not gun hunt, but it is my understanding the gun tag is good for all but the last muzzleloader hunt. That hunt is a separate tag issued by each county. So the same gun tag should be good for the 1st and 2nd season.

Jrashop

Correct. If you get a first season, you can use it in second season if you have no luck. If you get second season, you can use it if not filled in muzzleloader season but u have to use a muzzleloader.

Jrashop

My son just got passed juvenile age. he has been getting non resident youth tag for $11.25 for youth hunt in October. e never hunted then but he could use unused tag from youth in first gun season

shdw633

You can apply for them both at the same time, they will just send you your archery when it's time and you will have to hope for the draw for gun but it's up to you if you want to do both at the same time. Remember you have to pay for them at the time you submit so you might want to just do the gun now as I believe that would only be around $350 out of your pocket right now and then in a month or so you can go back to the site and buy your archery or just wait until you go....which is what I would do because I have had hunts cancel before for one reason or the other and been out the money for the tags.

Last edited:
I would not worry about the second season portion.
They issue full season tags these days which is good for both Firearms seasons.
If you go online and click on available permits by county, you will see only full season tags are available. They update the available permits left after each drawing.
Non-Residents can apply now for Firearm and Muzzleloader tags, I would do it now, each county has limited number of permits available.
Archery tags are always available and are not county specific.
If there are still gun permits available after the drawings then you can get them over the counter.
Other note.
You can use your muzzleloader tag during the second firearm season (but you have to use a smoke pole)
You cannot use your firearm tag during the muzzleloader season, unless you are the landowner and have what they call landowner firearm permits, they can use a firearm permit during muzzleloader season.

bb

Sundays Money

Unless it changes this year you can put in for firearm lottery then later for the archery lottery or buy the archery over the counter. I always put in for the lottery’s but it’s personal preference.