Midwest Hunting Feedback

humblehunter22

Touching base guys,

I know I am beating the proverbial dead horse & certain this topic has been covered multiple times over. Looking into expanding the horizons past the state of Ga for next years season potentially with the idea of long term means. So as it stands I am taking this time to do my due diligence & try to research/investigate as much as possible over the course of the remainder of this year with the goal of possibly pulling the trigger on something for the next season. I believe outside of the countless amounts of posted/published articles the best kind of information out there is 1st hand experiences and feedback from those who venture out of state on a regular basis. To give an idea I do not believe I am essentially looking for a guided or outfitted hunt more or less believe an established lease or club will be the route my father & I will try to seek out as we enjoy the aspect of year round access & being able to partake in the festivities of property maintenance/upkeep, the down & dirty aspects of what goes into it all from top to bottom to have an even further heightened sense of appreciation if & whenever the stars would align to allow the opportunity to lay hands on a quality class buck. The opportunity is there to make not necessarily a ton of trips back & forth out of state but the ability to go several times a year to visit the property etc.... pre season, post season, & during season are very much a possibility which is the main reason why looking into something established would be the preferred way to go vs spending a sizeable chunk of change for a 1 & done trip for the season.

My question is for those of y'all in here with that kind of experience are there any states you would recommend looking into for a 1st timer that offer OTC tags that 1 would not have to venture to rely on the draw or lottery system. I am working on investing in points for some states in general but more so looking to find something for my father & I to dive into as a joint venture? Already looking at the obvious like Kentucky, Ohio being the main 2 I am vaguely familiar with. Budget wise for us would be in the 3 K to depending if I really want to test my wife's dedication to our marriage 3500 K. Thanks for your time & look forward to hearing some of your feedback.

In terms of ability to load up & road trip it to go hunt down an actual lease out of state the opportunity to do so is not realistic for my schedule, the idea is to use the various platforms, word of mouth, pages like these to track down potential leads & go from there put feelers out until we find something that we fit well into the scheme of things & the group in question. I know there's realistic odds of finding good pieces of ground for those that have the time to hit the road & knock on some doors but my plan is to save all of my time off for once we do find something then from there apply it all towards trips out etc....

slow motion

Good luck. Trying out of state for the first time myself this fall.

HavocLover

If it’s your first time I would look at Illinois. I’m pretty sure they still identify as a “lottery” state, but if archery hunting you can buy tags OTC. I have the last two times I’ve went. I do think the muzzleloader is still on the “lotto” system. Not knocking KY but if it’s your first time outta state, I’d def go elsewhere.

slow motion

Thanks, same to you. Headed anywhere in particular?
Illinois. An opportunity to join a lease came available on the outside of Ga subforum. If something like that interests you I would suggest you check there. Especially if you're thinking next year though you might still find something for this fall. Again good luck and post up about your experience. Remember everybody loves pics too.

humblehunter22

Illinois. An opportunity to join a lease came available on the outside of Ga subforum. If something like that interests you I would suggest you check there. Especially if you're thinking next year though you might still find something for this fall. Again good luck and post up about your experience. Remember everybody loves pics too.

Yes sir definitely have our eyes on Illinois as well slow. That's what we are leaning towards doing is joining up with an established operation that way we can have that benefit of access but as well be in company of experienced folks that have been in the game for some time to work with and take the advice that is provided towards potential future success. Hopefully y'all have a great season definitely love the caliber of bucks that seem to hit dirt in that state from what I have read up on and seen on the interweb.

humblehunter22

If it’s your first time I would look at Illinois. I’m pretty sure they still identify as a “lottery” state, but if archery hunting you can buy tags OTC. I have the last two times I’ve went. I do think the muzzleloader is still on the “lotto” system. Not knocking KY but if it’s your first time outta state, I’d def go elsewhere.

Yes sir Havoc just replied to Slow. Definitely have interest in Illinois, the quality is there and as mentioned as far as archery tackle is concerned tags seem to be fairly attainable vs places like Kansas that are hit and miss with the draw. As well looks like for a reasonable price you can pick up with an established group in few areas of the states depending on what you're looking for.

westcobbdog

Pike Co IL is rural and nearly all in animal feed crops with lots of deer. Did my first bow hunt last fall. Spent about 3k total. Missed a big buck on my very last hunt in fading light and wind where my bolt flew just over his body. Sat OTG a few times and had some awesome close quarter encounters. Let quite a few Ga shooters walk.

humblehunter22

Pike Co IL is rural and nearly all in animal feed crops with lots of deer. Did my first bow hunt last fall. Spent about 3k total. Missed a big buck on my very last hunt in fading light and wind where my bolt flew just over his body. Sat OTG a few times and had some awesome close quarter encounters. Let quite a few Ga shooters walk.

Yes sir definitely hearing alot of good things about IL in general and know several folks that have killed some studs in the state. IL is definitely on the radar for me and like you mentioned for the price point it is very reasonable. If you mind me asking you do private ground or go through an outfitter?

westcobbdog

Breaking the expenses down further the outfitter was $2000, licenses about $500 gas food maybe a little over 3k total. Look back thru old threads on the subject to chose an outfitter. Talk to them on the phone beforehand, too. Ask them how much land, how many hunters, do you just point me towards a farm or take me right to a particular stand? Private landowners get many inquiries to lease in some IL counties, but it can be done.

humblehunter22

Westcobb, 10/4 thanks for the input.
Yea definitely using the search function heavily on here scrolling through the past threads covering the topic. Weighing between either trying to hook up on a lease or the outfitter route. But thats not that bad on the expenses side. Right now im covering around 250 or so between supplies & fuel whenever i got my lease down in South Ga. So it definitely adds up over time.

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
No way I would pay an outfitter to hunt anything in the Midwest. “Hunt“ clubs are not the same culturally in the midwest states but there are plenty of lease opportunities.

First I would pick a state with OTC. That’s easy to find.
Second look for agriculture with adjacent tracts of oak and hardwoods. Those guarantee deer.
Third-start cold calling land owners for access/lease opportunity or potential leads. Don’t overlook tree/orchard operations. They are usually quite open to let people hunt. You don’t need a lot of land in the Midwest to have a good hunt.
4th- Go hunt public land and knock on doors if all else fails. This will give you a feel for the area. Some public in the Midwest is better than average private due to rifle and doe restrictions

Mike 65

Check out HLRBO. It’s a website for hunting leases across the country. I see a lot of properties available on it. I would also consider Missouri, they have OTC tags. $265 for gun or bow IIRC.

Jim Boyd

True shame you will not go in the summer and meet people.

IMHO, it really is the best way.

You can ask me how I know but most of the people I contacted via USPS, email, phone or by knocking on doors either did not reply, were polite but the answer was no or they told me to get lost. Many resented the intrusion, just like we resent someone calling our cell trying to sell us something.

I only got one lease over the years via the telephone and it was a great deal. Luck smiled on me that day. I paid them Year 1 and they never took a dime from me in subsequent years. Really good people and while I no longer hunt that farm, I am still in contact with them every year. Still take them a Honey Baked ham every year.

Again IMHO, nothing compares to just meeting people and then gently working forward from there.

Occasionally GON members post up opportunities and this may well work but it might take some patience.

Some are opposed but no shame in using an outfitter. Not my style but it can and does work.

Personal relationships trump everything else, however.

Once you get to know people and trust is established, you are almost locked in.

I pay my Illinois landowner each spring and this year, they won’t even cash my check (sent to them in April, I think). They do not know it yet, but the cash will be left with them in an envelope when I am up over Labor Day working and hanging cams. They can do with it as they wish.

Wish you good luck, sir.

It is another world there in November. Prepare to be ruined once you have a good year or two.

My SC hunting these days is fun but it is hobby hunting compared to west central illinois.

bilgerat

Senior
Look for leases in Missouri and Ky. tags are OTC , Ive bow hunted with outfitters for the past 3 seasons in Missouri and had a great time. seen a ton of deer and spent a boatload of dollars. I went with the goal of taking a 150 and wasnt lucky enough to connect, I did see many bucks in the 140s and passed several. seen a handfull of 150s+ , just none presented a shot. I joined a lease in southern Illinois for this fall and looking forward to enjoying being in a club and having full season access it. good luck in your search

Big7

The Oracle
Good luck. Trying out of state for the first time myself this fall.
Be the start of the year for me also.

I'm looking to probably BoonDock some all through next year and trying close the deal on a month or so in Costa Rica fishing.

I want to gather info on hunting and fishing out west and north west. Alaska and Canada is on the table.

It'll be the year+ one the road, trip of a lifetime.

If anyone has info on guides or BoonDock'n, please post or PM me. Thanks.

humblehunter22

Jim Boyd,

I definitely understand I went back in 2019 with a family member to Idaho for a 2 week trip DIY public land for muleys and elk. Loved every aspect of the experience. Even more was getting to know the locals in the towns surrounding the unit we were hunting. By the time we left to head home we had received alot of valuable information which by trips end led us to locating elk and muleys and have some opportunities. The operator of the local cafetia/inn we stayed at 2 separate nights over the course of the trip was a retired Air Force veteran and we kicked it off immediately once he learned I was a veteran as well. They went above and beyond in their hospitality for us, loaded us slap down with dried good for our packs back into the wood line he specifically made it a point to sit down with me over a hard copy map of the region and discussed areas of interest and prior experiences in years past. By the time we left he and his wife made it a point to offer us a free room any chance we found to be back hunting in the area with guaranteed good meals and fellowship.

My goal is to eventually get to the point where I can travel over the course of the year and do my due diligence and knock on doors and meet with locals of areas in states I am interested in trying to hunt. Right now my work schedule is so over bearing I hardly get any time off and it is a logistical nightmare putting in for vacation right now because I am in management, boss has already belly ached multiple times about inquiring about our fall and winter schedule.

I am ultimately looking for a change of pace in my career into something that allows me some freedom to step away from the job on occasion and still be able to pay my bills. But to answer the question yes I very much enjoy those cafeteria or diner discussions or riding by local feed mills and striking up shop talk with the locals. Lol you can ask my wife how perplexed and flustered she stays over how much a man can talk about hunting in general for hours on end endlessly.

And yes that is the understanding is having patience to find the right situation, my father is limited due to health concerns. As much as I would like to lock in a small lease within a strategic area that we could just focus on doing ourselves I know in the long term it would be much more beneficial to join in with an established group that both sides of the tables ideals and opinions match up to where we could mesh into what is already going on. As mentioned not turned off to an outfitter but would much rather place our fate in the odds of year round access in terms of logistical hiccups or emergency.

humblehunter22

Look for leases in Missouri and Ky. tags are OTC , Ive bow hunted with outfitters for the past 3 seasons in Missouri and had a great time. seen a ton of deer and spent a boatload of dollars. I went with the goal of taking a 150 and wasnt lucky enough to connect, I did see many bucks in the 140s and passed several. seen a handfull of 150s+ , just none presented a shot. I joined a lease in southern Illinois for this fall and looking forward to enjoying being in a club and having full season access it. good luck in your search

Congratulations Sir, I have both read and hear alot of good things being discussed about Illinois. Alot of the folks that I know that travel out of state beyond Ga have told me the archery hunting there is something else entirely.