The jehovah witness ladies came knocking today...

transfixer

Its been a number of years since any JWs came knocking. To be honest I was no more interested in what they were selling than if they were selling vacuums. I'd take the brochure and check it out later but I wasn't interested in the sales pitch.
These days I would be more open to hear what they have to say just for educational purposes.
I will say this though, any interaction Ive had with them was like this -

You gotta admit, they are putting their shoe leather where their mouth is. They have to know that 99% of the doors they knock on don't want to hear a word they have to say, yet they still put in the work.

I hate to categorize it this way,, but to a large extent the members of that organization are brain washed, they truly believe in what they are told, and if you look up the history of the organization and how it was started,, it really isn't anything of divine beginnings.

WaltL1

I hate to categorize it this way,, but to a large extent the members of that organization are brain washed, they truly believe in what they are told, and if you look up the history of the organization and how it was started,, it really isn't anything of divine beginnings.
Im trying to avoid this sounding insulting because its not meant as such but....
I think the above ^ would apply to any religion/denomination there is/was.

They are some of the best people that I have ever met. I to have family that are Jehovah's witnesses. It's amazing the changes for the good that they made in there life since they started studying the Bible. It takes a lot of love for other people to use there time and money to go tell others about God. Especially when no one gets paid for there work.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They are some of the best people that I have ever met. I to have family that are Jehovah's witnesses. It's amazing the changes for the good that they made in there life since they started studying the Bible. It takes a lot of love for other people to use there time and money to go tell others about God. Especially when no one gets paid for there work.
Sorry, but I don't want them coming around annoying me to tell me about God. I didn't ask for it. The ones a couple weeks ago beating on my door at 8AM, I told them I worship Dagon. They left.

Tom W.

I remember that somewhere in the Bible it says to just close the door. It doesn't say to be rude. I ask them right up front what group they are representing. When I get my answer I'll tell them that we go to Cascade Hills church in Columbus. They usually disappear quickly after that.

WaltL1

Sorry, but I don't want them coming around annoying me to tell me about God. I didn't ask for it. The ones a couple weeks ago beating on my door at 8AM, I told them I worship Dagon. They left.
They probably saw your posts in the Outdoor Café and were praying you were fixing breakfast at 8 am and would invite them in for some vittles :LOL:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
They don't believe in " Hades" , they believe if you die and aren't one of the " 144 thousand" descendants of the tribes of Israel if I remember right, then you don't go to heaven, you are simply dead until after Armageddon and then you would be resurrected to live in the new world, I've never heard reference to Jesus having returned to earth in recent times, having family in that religion I'm fairly familiar with it.

Don't think that they are any more faithful than anyone else of another belief, they appear that way in public, as many do, but if you really get to know many of them you will realize that are just like Baptists, Methodists, or any other religion, they are not always what they profess to be .

https://www.watchman.org/articles/jehovahs-witnesses/jehovahs-witnesses-and-the-history-of-1914/

atlashunter

I remember that somewhere in the Bible it says to just close the door. It doesn't say to be rude. I ask them right up front what group they are representing. When I get my answer I'll tell them that we go to Cascade Hills church in Columbus. They usually disappear quickly after that.

That's one high dollar church. Is it true they get members financial statements or tax returns to ensure they are tithing?

atlashunter

Im trying to avoid this sounding insulting because its not meant as such but....
I think the above ^ would apply to any religion/denomination there is/was.

Pretty much the view from where I stand too. Seems to me they are all holding things to be true which have no evidentiary basis. What they believe is less interesting to me than why they believe it. I think if they come back I'm going to invite them in and hear them out just to ask that question.

Tom W.

We haven't gotten any such statements. Lori has been a member since the doors opened and it was a little bitty place.
I enjoy the messages there, but have yet to enjoy the music.
I was a choir director and song leader at an Independent Baptist Church and my late wife was the pianist / organist prior to her demise. The music at Cascade Hills was a shock to me!

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
They showed up at my farm house once, let's say it ain't on the main road, my bulldog jumped up on the hood and started biting their windshield. They wanted to know if he would bite? I said that I believed he would. Never saw them again, never saw that sweet dog behave like that again either.
From my perspective, it was funny to watch.

oldfella1962

The way I understand the belief is they don't believe there is a literal "bad place" to go when you die. If you fall in that group you cease to exist. If you are pretty good you live in paradise, here on a new earth, for eternity. Then if you're at the top you go to heaven as one of the 144 thousand.

They also said in their writings that Jesus returned to earth sometime in the early 1900's.

As mentioned some Christians should be as faithful and loving as they are.

I just had a thought concerning the 144K "elite" who go to heaven - it's an unfair system and here is why:
let's say back in the bible days when the 144K idea was conceived of the earth's population was 100 million. Slim odds, but doable. Now the earth's population is
7 billion so the odds of being in the elite group are astronomically against your success! It's a total gyp for anyone trying to get to heaven in 2019.

So if they come to my house I will bring this up with them I guess.

oldfella1962

Its been a number of years since any JWs came knocking. To be honest I was no more interested in what they were selling than if they were selling vacuums. I'd take the brochure and check it out later but I wasn't interested in the sales pitch.
These days I would be more open to hear what they have to say just for educational purposes.
I will say this though, any interaction Ive had with them was like this -

You gotta admit, they are putting their shoe leather where their mouth is. They have to know that 99% of the doors they knock on don't want to hear a word they have to say, yet they still put in the work.

so they would make good bow hunters then? They sure have the character traits needed to deal with lack of success!

glynr329

Just get the Bible they will leave quick. I do have to admire them if other religions worked as hard as they do things would be different. When they would leave my ex use to tell them she would pray for them.

1gr8bldr

Are not all religions/beliefs that way? Not trying to be argumentative, yet we all should acknowledge that we assume we are right and the other is wrong. We believe our interpretation over their interpretation, we believe out info, sources, beginnings... over theirs. ["theirs" not meaning specifically the JW beliefs but any belief other than our own]

transfixer

Are not all religions/beliefs that way? Not trying to be argumentative, yet we all should acknowledge that we assume we are right and the other is wrong. We believe our interpretation over their interpretation, we believe out info, sources, beginnings... over theirs. ["theirs" not meaning specifically the JW beliefs but any belief other than our own]

I don't know, I don't have much experience with other religious groups, a little with modern day Baptists I suppose, but other than that and because I have family members that are Jehovah's witnesses I know a good bit about their beliefs.

I liken the JW people to the Scientology people, the ones that are active in the organization are almost fanatics in their beliefs, no birthday celebrations, no christmas, no thanksgiving, no Easter, at least not the same way most people do, no blood transfusions even if it means the person dies. and the only approved reason for two people geting divorced is adultery by one of the partners, otherwise there is no valide " approved " reason for divorce, One person and his beliefs started the organization , Charles Taze Russell, and his beliefs were modified later by Joseph Rutherford, both men were thought unconventional and maybe a little radical way back then, remember the Jehovah's Witness organization only started in 1870, and their beliefs then were only partially what they are today, they were heavily modified in the 1930's , according to whoever was in charge of the group then.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Truth is, the conversations I have had with them have been much like the conversations we have here. I found them interesting. I am an inquisitive guy. LOL, I asked them many questions about their beliefs, specifics. I politely pointed out things I saw as problematic with their views. LOL, I never deconverted any, but I am sure that I made some good points. They eventually realized that I was waaay far beyond their training, although they were very prepared and trained, 100x knew more about the bible than your typical Christian, so they called in the big dog, the head guy, Mike. Mike and Cynthia would visit occasionally. I never invited them in, but if I were not busy, I would invite them to sit down on the front porch. They were very polite, content, not to be able to convert me and eventually took me off the house stop list. They seem to be good people, trying what they believe, to please God. I have no problem with them. Much more pleasant than your typical Christian whom gets offended if you don't believe as they do on every level. It's as if they don't really expect to convert many, but rather, just are doing what they should. which conforms with their belief. Christians somehow think they should be able to sow seed, cultivate, shine and harvest same day. I find them very respectful of others beliefs. If anyone does not like their drive by visit, you could ask that they no longer drop by and I will bet that you will never see them again. They keep a list, and work areas systematically. However, recently a new group stopped by, unaware of those 10 years ago, not even knowing those particular people, and I was busy, so I just politely took their pamphlets and told them I would consider their invite, even though I knew better. Rather than point out my objections to particular beliefs of theirs, I will refrain, in an attempt to not diminish my beginning points about them being good people. I will point out that from what I have seen, they are not all black. This has come up in several post. In my area, it seems to be 50/50, yet, what do I really know?

Timberman

I had a sawyer that was a JW. After he had been with me a couple weeks the elders made an unannounced visit to the mill to "approve" his job. He was good help.

1gr8bldr

I don't know, I don't have much experience with other religious groups, a little with modern day Baptists I suppose, but other than that and because I have family members that are Jehovah's witnesses I know a good bit about their beliefs.

I liken the JW people to the Scientology people, the ones that are active in the organization are almost fanatics in their beliefs, no birthday celebrations, no christmas, no thanksgiving, no Easter, at least not the same way most people do, no blood transfusions even if it means the person dies. and the only approved reason for two people geting divorced is adultery by one of the partners, otherwise there is no valide " approved " reason for divorce, One person and his beliefs started the organization , John Taze Russell, and his beliefs were modified later by Joseph Rutherford, both men were thought unconventional and maybe a little radical way back then, remember the Jehovah's Witness organization only started in 1870, and their beliefs then were only partially what they are today, they were heavily modified in the 1930's , according to whoever was in charge of the group then.
Other than some disputable interpretations, they use the same bible as baptist. Most of the main difference I see that is off the rails is the blood restrictions. The writer of those 2 passages in no way was referring to blood as they see it, nor could they have ever imagined it so.

1gr8bldr

I had a JW employee for a few months as I was working out of town. I discovered that not all JW's believe or convey their belifs the same. We had lots of conversations. He kept a detailed record of all his time spent witnessing, of which I pointed out, why, if you really believe that your not working your way into heaven. They claim they are not, that it's just the correct response, yet, why then the log book? He would not ever concede that this was contradictory. I feel like he was proud of his work accumulation. It is the proper response to react in giving back... just without the log book