Open WMA hunting list

BULL MOOSE

If Mallardsx2 ca do it, surely someone with the state can do it too!

I’m just looking for late season gun opportunities to get out with the kids. I’ve been hunting in TN and KY on public land for last 1.5 months and want to get out when the urge hits, but the wife is not going to support another ML weekend in KY.

KY’s guide is fairly easy to understand with the grouping by region and color coding. https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Public-Land-Hunting.aspx

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
If Mallardsx2 ca do it, surely someone with the state can do it too!

I’m just looking for late season gun opportunities to get out with the kids. I’ve been hunting in TN and KY on public land for last 1.5 months and want to get out when the urge hits, but the wife is not going to support another ML weekend in KY.

KY’s guide is fairly easy to understand with the grouping by region and color coding. https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Public-Land-Hunting.aspx

We're working on it. Got it all in a database this year and working towards integrating the dates in the interactive map and a calendar.

It's not that hard to find the dates for a WMA if you know where you want to go, but it is more difficult if you want to find all the WMAs that are open this weekend within say 100 miles of your location.

This is basically what I do. I segregate by distance and my favorite hunting land. I also sort by whether it is a check in or sign in hunt and what weapon may be used and whether or not it is a quality buck hunt or not. I have a TON of sort features that allow me to choose dates and hide things that are already completed by dates atc etc.

Every weekend I know what place is open and for what and if it is worth my time on even going to it or not. Lot of research capabilities from my end. I even have harvest statistics on some of them for reference.

ucfireman

The way they were listed years back was a lot easier to decipher. Seems the last
3-5 years with all the little symbols ( female only, AC, sign in vs check in etc) has made it a little harder to figure out if its an open hunt or a specialty hunt.

I would love to see it set up by dates. These dates (maybe weekly) theses WMA are open. Would also rather see them just numbered (like before) or by region as before instead of 1A, 3C etc.
The quota lists can stay the way they are, either you are chosen or it doesn't matter to you.

Its not that the info is hard to find it could just be organized better.

j_seph

Look and see how the date is typed ex 12-4-19 Dec 4 Dec 4 2019.
Once you know how that is do a CTRL F, then type in the date it should start which is usually a Wed or a Thur. It will search the entire regulations (pdf) for each Dec 4

Long Cut

We're working on it. Got it all in a database this year and working towards integrating the dates in the interactive map and a calendar.

Or, hear me out.

Open up all WMA archery seasons from Sept-January.
Then set up other specific WMA’s for 1 month Primitive.
Have another group for an open 2 week rifle season.
Quotas for the other “Quality” WMA’s.

Biologists deem the hunt dates etc based on deer populations for each general WMA.

Color code them all so a guy will know immediately what area it is. Have all the dates coordinated, at least by game management zone (1,2,3 etc). This way folks can rifle hunt the whole season on WMA’s and chase the rut, by hunting different zones.

Let’s be honest, the archery success rates are very low on public lands.
Having rifle seasons open for 3+ months on a piece of public ground will shoot the place out. It’s very different from hunt clubs and I’ve seen quality WMA’s become void of any deer by switching to season long rifle seasons vs short 3-4 day hunts.

If the Biologists deem the hunt dates etc based on deer populations for each general WMA they would not have a hunt at on on Chestatee. lol

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Or, hear me out.

Open up all WMA archery seasons from Sept-January.
Then set up other specific WMA’s for 1 month Primitive.
Have another group for an open 2 week rifle season.
Quotas for the other “Quality” WMA’s.

Biologists deem the hunt dates etc based on deer populations for each general WMA.

Color code them all so a guy will know immediately what area it is. Have all the dates coordinated, at least by game management zone (1,2,3 etc). This way folks can rifle hunt the whole season on WMA’s and chase the rut, by hunting different zones.

Let’s be honest, the archery success rates are very low on public lands.
Having rifle seasons open for 3+ months on a piece of public ground will shoot the place out. It’s very different from hunt clubs and I’ve seen quality WMA’s become void of any deer by switching to season long rifle seasons vs short 3-4 day hunts.

I'm with you on simplifying the WMA regs, there is a ton of room for improvement.

Long Cut

If the Biologists deem the hunt dates etc based on deer populations for each general WMA they would not have a hunt at on on Chestatee. lol

That’s what some WMA’s need in all honesty. Several years of open rifle seasons (October-January) will shoot a place out and deplete the deer population.
I’d personally rather have a little less time, with higher quality than 3 months and hardly seeing any deer.

the Lackster

That’s what some WMA’s need in all honesty. Several years of open rifle seasons (October-January) will shoot a place out and deplete the deer population.
I’d personally rather have a little less time, with higher quality than 3 months and hardly seeing any deer.
Other than concentrated pressure i wouldnt mind them knocking down the sign in hunts tremendously.