Metal Building Home?

krizia829

Not hunting related but was curious if any of you live in a metal building home (Not the shipping container type!!)... My husband and I are in the planning time frame for moving up to GA and are considering this style home on a piece of hunting land for more affordability.. If you do, what would you say are the pros and cons? What's a realistic number for maybe a 3-4 bedroom size metal home with pipes and electric? Any information is appreciated!

KDarsey

I was looking at a metal 'shop' outside of Dahlonega to buy & transform into a home. It was big enough that I could have used 1/2 for the home & 1/2 for whatever I needed or wanted. It was already insulated & had wood paneling on the walls. Unfortunately I drug my feet & it got away from me. A neighbor of mine here in Mid-Ga. has a home from a smaller version. Here is his....shophouse.jpg

krizia829

I was looking at a metal 'shop' outside of Dahlonega to buy & transform into a home. It was big enough that I could have used 1/2 for the home & 1/2 for whatever I needed or wanted. It was already insulated & had wood paneling on the walls. Unfortunately I drug my feet & it got away from me. A neighbor of mine here in Mid-Ga. has a home from a smaller version. Here is his....View attachment 1000039
Oh man! Yeah we think that it'll be a good investment for us and because of our budget as well.. We have a friend in Montgomery County who just moved in to his about 2 years ago and when we saw it, we instantly fell in love with it! This will be our first home so we want to make sure we make the right decision!

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'm a builder. It's been a few years, but when we priced metal vs wood frame construction for our office the wood was a lot cheaper.

Triple C

I'm a builder. It's been a few years, but when we priced metal vs wood frame construction for our office the wood was a lot cheaper.[

Jim,

Im not a builder but my experience was right the opposite. 30x50 pole barn finished as a cabin was bout half what I was quoted from 2 builders for 1000 sq foot stick built cabin in 2011. Granted, the quote for stick built was turn key whereas we did much of the finishing work on pole barn cabin ourselves.

With that said, we use this as a weekend getaway and hunting cabin. No central heat n air. We have stained concrete floor, rough sawn pine interior walls, old chicken house tin for ceiling. Heat with wood heater n cool with one window AC unit. Other than that it’s got all the comforts of home. Don’t think I hit $70K in finished product in 2011 Prolly closer to $60K. But that was 9 yrs ago. Not a dime on maintenance since.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Timberman

Buddy of mine built one on his farm. Half of it is two story 3/2 living quarters and the other half is shop/garage. It’s nice!

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Jim,

Im not a builder but my experience was right the opposite. 30x50 pole barn finished as a cabin was bout half what I was quoted from 2 builders for 1000 sq foot stick built cabin in 2011. Granted, the quote for stick built was turn key whereas we did much of the finishing work on pole barn cabin ourselves.

With that said, we use this as a weekend getaway and hunting cabin. No central heat n air. We have stained concrete floor, rough sawn pine interior walls, old chicken house tin for ceiling. Heat with wood heater n cool with one window AC unit. Other than that it’s got all the comforts of home. Don’t think I hit $70K in finished product in 2011 Prolly closer to $60K. But that was 9 yrs ago. Not a dime on maintenance since.

I don't doubt it.

For us the difference was mostly in the erection. We would handle our own erection.

The build out after the shell is the same either way.

For us the foundation would be the same either way, as we would use a monolithic slab as opposed to piers under the bents and 4" slab.

The architectural shingle roof would be about 1/3 the cost of the metal roof and I have yet to see a metal roof, on a metal building, that didn't leak.

The sheathing on the walls and the siding would be cheaper in metal but I would rather have osb sheathing and siding.

The cost differences are in the exterior structural framing, roofing, siding, insulation and exterior paint. It all comes down to what your prefer at that point.

I'm going to build a 40'x60' shop when I'm done with my house. I'll have to post up on the cost of the framing package and siding vs the same in metal. I'm going to use wood but it will be interesting to see if metal material would be cheaper now.

Triple C

I don't doubt it.

For us the difference was mostly in the erection. We would handle our own erection.

The build out after the shell is the same either way.

For us the foundation would be the same either way, as we would use a monolithic slab as opposed to piers under the bents and 4" slab.

The architectural shingle roof would be about 1/3 the cost of the metal roof and I have yet to see a metal roof, on a metal building, that didn't leak.

The sheathing on the walls and the siding would be cheaper in metal but I would rather have osb sheathing and siding.

The cost differences are in the exterior structural framing, roofing, siding, insulation and exterior paint. It all comes down to what your prefer at that point.

I'm going to build a 40'x60' shop when I'm done with my house. I'll have to post up on the cost of the framing package and siding vs the same in metal. I'm going to use wood but it will be interesting to see if metal material would be cheaper now.
Jim,

May be lucky but I’ve yet to spend a penny on anything. No leaks n roof still looks good. Not saying it’s not leaking but if it is, no sign anywhere. Ain’t no custom home by any stretch of the imagination. But, I couldn’t imagine building anything else for the purpose it serves. If it was just me I could easily live here. But wife ain’t buying that.

We building our final home right now in your neck of woods - Oconee County. Just got footings poured last week.

uturn

I’ve built plenty of both over the years and I’d say it’s all relative to the intent of use, location and final product you are looking for!

Metal building manufactures have packaging and shipping longer distances much more an option than most lumber yards and truss plants! And, generally speaking you can put together a metal building with less folks than needed for wood framing!

I wouldn’t be afraid of either!

Last edited:

Lilly001

I built one.
30x40 w/10' ceilings.
About 25k for the basic building and another 25k to finish.
Still not done, but getting close.

Attachments

• Cdy00441.JPG
    Cdy00441.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Cdy00682.JPG
    Cdy00682.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 229

sleepr71

For $75-100k... I don’t see why you couldn’t have a nice “ Barndominium”..provided you are willing to do some of the work! There’s another thread on here about this. Well worth reading.

KDarsey

And my main interest is one of this seems to be maintenance free for the most part. I'm getting to old to be patching up a house everytime the wind blows.

Mtn lover

Steel : won't burn,won't rot and bugs can't eat it. just a couple of pics. Heated floor system. Roof top garden. No problem with deer eating our vegetables !!
Looks like I need to re-size photos first. or something...as soon as I have time.
sorry

Attachments

• rooftop garden re-sized.png
    rooftop garden re-sized.png
    813.6 KB · Views: 151
  • floor heat re-sized.jpg
    floor heat re-sized.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

TomC

I've read condensation / mold can be an issue much more so than stick built??? I'm looking into them right now. Who besides Morton is reputable. Looking to build in KY.