DNR Turkey Season Survey...

cowhornedspike

I asked at the newnan public meeting how much the poult per hen ratio had increased on cedar creek wma since it had been delayed for the last two years and was told no noticeable increase, so what science, in our state is showing this to be a viable option?

Unlike predator animals which will fluctuate more gradually, prey animals such as turkeys should bounce back quickly once the problem is "fixed". Why didn't it if delaying the season is the "fix"?

Turkeytider

I asked at the newnan public meeting how much the poult per hen ratio had increased on cedar creek wma since it had been delayed for the last two years and was told no noticeable increase, so what science, in our state is showing this to be a viable option?

Another great source of information is Dr. Mike Chamberlain, Warnell Sch
Unlike predator animals which will fluctuate more gradually, prey animals such as turkeys should bounce back quickly once the problem is "fixed". Why didn't it if delaying the season is the "fix"?

That`s because it`s not solely a season date issue. Optimizing the number of hens bred and poults produced is ONE beneficial step. DNR has never stated that it is the " fix ", it`s just one controllable factor as opposed to those far more difficult or impossible to impact ( weather, predators, poachers, disease, etc ).

Turkeytider

A very legitimate question and one best posed to the DNR wildlife biologists. Also, a good source of information is Dr. Mike Chamberlain. Mike is on the faculty at UGA Warnell School of Forestry, is a recognized authority on turkey biology and an avid turkey hunter. He is on some fascinating podcasts. Although it may take him a while, he welcomes questions from concerned hunters. He`s never failed to respond to me.

mchamberlain@ warnell.uga.edu

Turkeytider

If there had been no noticeable difference in pouts per hen on Cedar Creek with their later start why are they thinking about doing it state wide,that is just stupid .The fact is they don't know what to do and are grasping at straws.

At least they are searching for answers to the decline. Of course, for anyone who feels that there`s no decline in the first place, the point is moot. This is not a population crash, at least not for the entire state. However, if comments from the boys in the mountains are any indication, they would beg to differ. Turkey populations in Georgia and the Southeast have been on a downward trajectory for a good decade. That`s a fact. People can deny it all they want. Where I hunt in Georgia, we`ve got plenty of birds, but it`s only one relatively small piece of land. It would be unscientific and arrogant of me to extrapolate my experience to the entire state. As far as Cedar Creek is concerned, I`m not a wildlife biologist, but with the uncontrollable variables that are in play such as weather, disease, predators, etc., that may be present on a WMA, I`m not at all sure that a two year sample is adequate to conclude anything about season delays. That would be the determination of the wildlife population biologists.

Dupree

A very legitimate question and one best posed to the DNR wildlife biologists. Also, a good source of information is Dr. Mike Chamberlain. Mike is on the faculty at UGA Warnell School of Forestry, is a recognized authority on turkey biology and an avid turkey hunter. He is on some fascinating podcasts. Although it may take him a while, he welcomes questions from concerned hunters. He`s never failed to respond to me.

mchamberlain@ warnell.uga.edu
I will email him, but I questioned the biologist that was doing the speaking at the meeting I attended. I’m not totally against delaying the season until April 1, but they are calling for the second weekend in April on all wmas.
If they are going to delay the season on public lands, they need to do it statewide and not “punish” the public land hunter. Public lands are only a fraction of the land in the state, and if the test subject (cedar creek wma) hasn’t shown an increase of ppp, then why the push for delayed season?

Buckman18

Turkeys number one enemy in my eyes , and they are easy to catch !View attachment 1061139

Resized_20210106_184513.jpeg20210119_082704.jpg

Ive got turkeys too! I'm not buying this new 'science.' Tens of thousands of acres of designated 'wilderness' in the mountains that never see a turkey hunter means the turkey populations are not impacted by hunters!

We are predator heavy right now IMO.

jbogg

I will email him, but I questioned the biologist that was doing the speaking at the meeting I attended. I’m not totally against delaying the season until April 1, but they are calling for the second weekend in April on all wmas.
If they are going to delay the season on public lands, they need to do it statewide and not “punish” the public land hunter. Public lands are only a fraction of the land in the state, and if the test subject (cedar creek wma) hasn’t shown an increase of ppp, then why the push for delayed season?

I don’t look at the proposed changes as punishing public land hunters. The fact is, public land receives more pressure than most pieces of private property. As a result, public lands may require more drastic measures than private. I’m glad the state is implementing some changes before it’s too late, but I’m not a fan of the one-size-fits-all policy.

Turkeytider

Dupree, did the biologist not answer your question as to why propose expansion of season delay considering the Cedar Creek results to date?

Turkeytider

I don’t look at the proposed changes as punishing public land hunters. The fact is, public land receives more pressure than most pieces of private property. As a result, public lands may require more drastic measures than private. I’m glad the state is implementing some changes before it’s too late, but I’m not a fan of the one-size-fits-all policy.

Differences in pressure public vs. private is a perspective that I had not considered.

buckpasser

At least they are searching for answers to the decline. Of course, for anyone who feels that there`s no decline in the first place, the point is moot. This is not a population crash, at least not for the entire state. However, if comments from the boys in the mountains are any indication, they would beg to differ. Turkey populations in Georgia and the Southeast have been on a downward trajectory for a good decade. That`s a fact. People can deny it all they want. Where I hunt in Georgia, we`ve got plenty of birds, but it`s only one relatively small piece of land. It would be unscientific and arrogant of me to extrapolate my experience to the entire state. As far as Cedar Creek is concerned, I`m not a wildlife biologist, but with the uncontrollable variables that are in play such as weather, disease, predators, etc., that may be present on a WMA, I`m not at all sure that a two year sample is adequate to conclude anything about season delays. That would be the determination of the wildlife population biologists.

Maybe they should finish the search before implementing change. It’s not really rocket science. I manage a 2000 acre hunting property for a living. I trap, burn right, feed right, and we don’t try to kill every legal animal. We’re absolutely loaded. Some strutters hardly get out of my way anymore.

The places I personally hunt are not under strict management. They go up and down in population and are tough hunting. There is 10x the hunting competition there was 20 years ago and 100x more than when I was a kid. As long as we don’t shoot hens (and we don’t), it boils down to the fact that not everyone will tag out every year. They are welcomed to quit turkey hunting, or learn to be competitive and a woodsman (impossible for some).

Turkeytider

Maybe they should finish the search before implementing change. It’s not really rocket science. I manage a 2000 acre hunting property for a living. I trap, burn right, feed right, and we don’t try to kill every legal animal. We’re absolutely loaded. Some strutters hardly get out of my way anymore.

The places I personally hunt are not under strict management. They go up and down in population and are tough hunting. There is 10x the hunting competition there was 20 years ago and 100x more than when I was a kid. As long as we don’t shoot hens (and we don’t), it boils down to the fact that not everyone will tag out every year. They are welcomed to quit turkey hunting, or learn to be competitive and a woodsman (impossible for some).

Well, I guess we`ll see over time. One way or the other.

Lot of reading here but I just hope changes are made (for the better of all of us and the turkeys) and people on this site have to eat their own words.

"Learn to be competitive and a woodsman"....What a statement. lol

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Lot of reading here but I just hope changes are made (for the better of all of us and the turkeys) and people on this site have to eat their own words.

"Learn to be competitive and a woodsman"....What a statement. lol
Competitive is what cracks me up. I hunt for me. I hunt for my own enjoyment. I don’t hunt for the approval of others so I do t care whether or not anyone likes my methods. There are some small people in this turkey forum. I would bet most of them haven’t even been hunting turkeys very long and have probably not killed many big gobblers. But they are going to tell other people how they need to hunt.??

I agree.

Like a few select individuals on here, I was practically raised by wolves in the wild.

I have been roaming the woods my entire life but I will try to be more of a "competitive woodsman" this spring. That's so funny I'm in tears. lol

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I agree.

Like a few select individuals on here, I was practically raised by wolves in the wild.

I have been roaming the woods my entire life but I will try to be more of a "competitive woodsman" this spring. That's so funny I'm in tears. lol
??

buckpasser

Competitive is what cracks me up. I hunt for me. I hunt for my own enjoyment. I don’t hunt for the approval of others so I do t care whether or not anyone likes my methods. There are some small people in this turkey forum. I would bet most of them haven’t even been hunting turkeys very long and have probably not killed many big gobblers. But they are going to tell other people how they need to hunt.??

Fellows, I don’t mean competitive like “I’m better than you”. I mean competitive like there’s a flock between us and I make sure I’m at least as good at turning them into nuggets as you are. I personally don’t offer much instruction, so as to be “competitive”. Another term that may have been in better taste is “relevant”. If you aren’t changing and improving constantly, you can quickly get yourself into the “not enough turkeys” crowd.