Our Home AC Quit Working ...

Davexx1

A few days ago, we came home to a warm house. No AC! Inside the house is uncomfortably warm and muggy. Wife is cranky.

Our AC is a Carrier brand, bought new in 2008 so its 14 years old. The air handler inside was running blowing warm air, but the compressor unit outside was silent. No breakers tripped. Condenser fan blade turns freely but not running. Had a new starting capacitor installed last year at the checkup. It was a little low on freon last year, wondering if we had/have a pin hole leak.

Our AC company is backed up with service calls and aren't scheduled to be here to check it out until late Friday afternoon. I sure hope the unit is not shot. At todays prices and lack of inventory, it will likely be a small fortune to replace.

It seems like a top of the line brand like Carrier should last longer than 14 years. Any suggestions for a better brand and unit if we need to go that route?

Thanks, Dave

DannyW

Another thread in this forum will give you a lot of info.

I would check/do three things as a starter:
  1. If you have a condensation pump, make sure it's working. If it's not, it may be tripping your compressor off.
  2. Look for obvious damage to the start capacitor...swelling, etc. Just because it was replaced last year is no guarantee it's not blown again. (Be careful! Only do a visual inspection unless you know how to work with electricity!)
  3. Take your shop vac and suction out your drain line where it exits the house. Could be an obstruction in the pipe. (This is related to #1 above.)
Beyond those three things, I usually wait for a HVAC guy to become available.

To your original question, we have been pretty happy with our Bryant units that we installed in 2014. But I think A/C units are a lot like appliances these days....it's kind of hit or miss with any brand.

Last edited:

Redbow

We had a new Goodman unit installed a few years ago. The installer told me, don't expect to get 18 years out of these newer units with any brand. He went on to say 10 to 12 years is about all that can be expected with them now days.

I wish you good luck with repairing the old one.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A few days ago, we came home to a warm house. No AC! Inside the house is uncomfortably warm and muggy. Wife is cranky.

Our AC is a Carrier brand, bought new in 2008 so its 14 years old. The air handler inside was running blowing warm air, but the compressor unit outside was silent. No breakers tripped. Condenser fan blade turns freely but not running. Had a new starting capacitor installed last year at the checkup. It was a little low on freon last year, wondering if we had/have a pin hole leak.

Our AC company is backed up with service calls and aren't scheduled to be here to check it out until late Friday afternoon. I sure hope the unit is not shot. At todays prices and lack of inventory, it will likely be a small fortune to replace.

It seems like a top of the line brand like Carrier should last longer than 14 years. Any suggestions for a better brand and unit if we need to go that route?

Thanks, Dave

Unless you're comfortable using a multi-meter on live circuits, you should call an A/C company.

Davexx1

I did read thru the other thread and information posted there. I pulled the panel this morning and looked for anything out of the ordinary. Capacitor was replaced 8 months ago and still looked like new. Saw no evidence of overheating in the wiring or board. All connections were tight. I went inside and turned the system on again and it fired right up and started cooling immediately. I couldn't believe it. The AC tech showed up later in the day, checked the system out thoroughly and found it was 1lb low on 410 freon but otherwise was OK.

It is working OK for now but if I remember correctly, it was 1lb low on freon at the last checkup 8 months ago. It seems we could have a slow leak somewhere. Time will tell. Thanks for the information.

K80Shooter

If as you said it was low on freon before, unless a leak was fixed you can almost bet that it's low again. They are not supposed to need freon from time to time.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I did read thru the other thread and information posted there. I pulled the panel this morning and looked for anything out of the ordinary. Capacitor was replaced 8 months ago and still looked like new. Saw no evidence of overheating in the wiring or board. All connections were tight. I went inside and turned the system on again and it fired right up and started cooling immediately. I couldn't believe it. The AC tech showed up later in the day, checked the system out thoroughly and found it was 1lb low on 410 freon but otherwise was OK.

It is working OK for now but if I remember correctly, it was 1lb low on freon at the last checkup 8 months ago. It seems we could have a slow leak somewhere. Time will tell. Thanks for the information.
If the thermostat is switched to quickly from heat to cool it can cause the system to shut down because it doesn,t know to supply heated or cooled air.
Also a electrical blimp can cause this also, but usually not as frequent.

oldfella1962

If you have a refrigerant leak you (or an AC tech) will have to eventually find out what's causing that, and fix that problem. Hopefully you'll get a few more years out of the system regardless.
My Rheem system lasted 19 years, and I got another Rheem to replace it a couple of weeks ago, so most likely it will outlast me.

basstrkr

Once upon a time my unit did the same thing. Turned out to be loose wire connection which got moved when panel was removed.

ribber

I have to toggle the breaker to my outside unit occasionally. It does same as yours, inside running but outside not. After toggling the breaker, unit kicks on after about 5 minutes and works normal.
I have a good friend who works in HVAC and he said turning off power to it will reset something on the board that tells the unit to switch from heat to cool. Mine does it this time of year when I may run heat on a cool night and AC during day, so it makes sense.

ribber

Also, he has told me that you never know with a freon leak and that they are hard to find most times. He said he has seen units last many years after developing a leak and the owner just pays $100-200 per year to have it filled back. He also said the leak could get worse to where it's not cost effective to put freon in all the time. Basically, just run it till it quits!
And the new units are pricey, btw! I just got a new one in February.

Davexx1

The fact that our unit was 1lb low eight months ago and now 1lb low again would seem to indicate a leak, but the tech stopped short of saying that and said some refrigerant is lost when a tech screws the gauges on and off of the fittings. Also said a freon leak test was $212.

If/when this happens again, I will try all of the steps to get it restarted and then have to make a decision to repair or replace. The tech did say most leaks occur in the coils of the air handler and are very difficult to locate and/or impossible to repair.

A few days without AC will change your outlook.

K80Shooter

If the tech loses a lb of freon hooking up a hose, then you need a new tech.
He is correct in stating that the leak in a coil can be very hard to find if not impossible. Unless things have changed, he is required by law to at least try to find the leak, but people seldom do.

At least you got it took care of before it got really hot.

Doboy Dawg

Honestly there is very little difference between manufacturers of units there are several compressor manufacturers and the HVAC manufacturers use their compressors.

You should get a 10-15 year warranty on just about any new compressor in a new unit. If they don’t offer 10 years or better I wouldn’t buy it.

660griz

Same sorta thing happened on my old unit. Outside unit not running. I started tracing power and when I got to the contactor for the outside unit, touched the probes to the terminals and it pushed the contactor and the unit started. Worked for the rest of the year. Next year, I had to push the contactor again but, last time, replaced the entire unit before we sold the house.

Waddams

Glad it started for you. I replaced a capacitor outside two years ago when the fan motor wouldn't start on it's own. It would start if I gave it a push, though, so new capacitor and it was fixed. I had one once where the fan motor seized up. $300 for a new motor later and it was back in business.

For the freon, I'm not an HVAC tech but I'd think a gel or something of some sort, especially at connections, and watching for bubbles might at least be a simple way to check the "low hanging fruit". Then, if you find a spot and it's accessible, maybe could improvise something to patch over the leak.

At 14 years old, I'd not invest lots of money fixing it, but I'd be willing to try to frankenstein a few rube-goldberg home handy man special fixes to keep it limping along for a while longer.

georgiadawgs44

A 1 lb per year leak is very hard to find. It is not uncommon for units to need a lb ir two of refrigerant every year. It is true that if it needs refrigerant that it has a leak. They don’t consume refrigerant.
As far as finding a leak goes. The vast majority of leaks occur in the evaporator coil. Soap bubbles are the best way to pinpoint the location of the leak. Look for oily places to get close. The refrigerant contains oil and will leave a residue as it leaks out. I use a leak detector to help find them but the soap bubbles will tell you exactly if it’s a large enough leak and you can actually get to it and see the location.
As far as losing a lb or refrigerant putting on and taking off gauges is crazy. HVAC techs are required by law to use low loss fittings on their hoses.

Davexx1

Our unit is 14 years old. It was said when installed new that the new Carrier units would likely live 10 - 12 years +- so we have already exceeded that projected life span. During those 14 years, we have had a bi-annual preventative maintenance service performed that checked operation, refrigerant, cleaned evaporator and condenser coils, starting capacitor, etc. and also the evaporator coils were treated with some kind of mold preventative. It was thought that by having the maintenance service and cleaning etc, you could extend the life of the system, and maybe we have but we may be getting close or are at the point where replacement will be needed. The company is scheduled to do the maintenance service soon and will check the refrigerant level at that time, and maybe that will give an indication of if we have a leak.

This unit is a Carrier brand 3 1/2 ton 12 seer system. Cost new was about $3500+ in 2008. What would be a ballpark estimate to replace it at todays costs? Is there any particular brand that stands out now and be preferred for better service, lasting durability, etc? I suspect there is good and bad about them all. It is probably like everything else in that they don't make them like they used to.

oldfella1962

Our unit is 14 years old. It was said when installed new that the new Carrier units would likely live 10 - 12 years +- so we have already exceeded that projected life span. During those 14 years, we have had a bi-annual preventative maintenance service performed that checked operation, refrigerant, cleaned evaporator and condenser coils, starting capacitor, etc. and also the evaporator coils were treated with some kind of mold preventative. It was thought that by having the maintenance service and cleaning etc, you could extend the life of the system, and maybe we have but we may be getting close or are at the point where replacement will be needed. The company is scheduled to do the maintenance service soon and will check the refrigerant level at that time, and maybe that will give an indication of if we have a leak.

This unit is a Carrier brand 3 1/2 ton 12 seer system. Cost new was about $3500+ in 2008. What would be a ballpark estimate to replace it at todays costs? Is there any particular brand that stands out now and be preferred for better service, lasting durability, etc? I suspect there is good and bad about them all. It is probably like everything else in that they don't make them like they used to.

I had a Rheem that came with the house that was built in 2003, and it just went Tango Uniform a month or so ago. The only maintenance I could do was on the outside of the house (condenser coils) portion. The inside (evaporator coils) were sealed up. But not a big deal, because if you kept your house filters replaced nothing could get inside your ductwork to mess them up anyway. Bottom line, I got a new Rheem system that's very similar to the original for about 7,000 dollars all parts & labor included.

ribber

I just got a 3.5 ton Oxbox package unit in February for $7000 total. That also included rerouting some duct from the old air handler under the house.