House AC suddenly not working!

DannyW

I have found that at least 50% of the time it's the capacitor. And I never found a $125 guy like natureman, it was always $200+ and "we'll get there when we can."

So I learned to do it myself. Google it and if you don't feel comfortable make the repair, DON'T DO IT! There is some risk of shock if the capacitor isn't discharged properly. The most common symptom of a failed capacitor I have found is it will visually swollen.

You can get capacitors on the internet for $25-$30 (local supply houses won't sell them to you unless you are a licensed HVAC contractor.) I keep an extra one on the shelf.

If it's not the capacitor, or the drain pump, I call the HVAC guy.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I had one do that. Replaced the outdoor capacitor and all was fine. I think it was $125 to have it done. The repair guy could have said I needed a new unit and I would not have known any different. Nice to know there are some honest people out there.

Generally speaking home warranties are not worth the paper they are written on....however they can serve a positive role in trying to avoid replacing a $10,000 HVAC system when all that is needed is a $250 capacitor replacement. Most home owners are the the mercy of a contractor and most contractors are honest as the day is long but some are not....if they say you need a new system you very well may need a new unit but I would get at least a couple of opinions. When you do indeed find that you needed a capacitor when someone said it was the entire system at least do a google review. If they are a reputable contractor and they said you needed a system when a capacitor was all that was needed they should refund most if not all of the service call charge where they misdiagnosed the problem. It is entirely possible that they simply made a mistake and should be given the opportunity to correct it. Most won't but if they do they are doing all they can to be honest and deal squarely with customers.

Most technicians are all about fixing things and treat customers like they'd want to be treated....but many work for companies who encourage them to sell units by offering bonuses when they do sell one. That is fantastic for the technician but it also can lead to them hedging toward that $150 personal bonus at your expense.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I have found that at least 50% of the time it's the capacitor. And I never found a $125 guy like natureman, it was always $200+ and "we'll get there when we can."

So I learned to do it myself. Google it and if you don't feel comfortable make the repair, DON'T DO IT! There is some risk of shock if the capacitor isn't discharged properly. The most common symptom of a failed capacitor I have found is it will visually swollen.

You can get capacitors on the internet for $25-$30 (local supply houses won't sell them to you unless you are a licensed HVAC contractor.) I keep an extra one on the shelf.

Some wholesale houses will trade with you if you act like you know what youre doing LOL... I have bought units at wholesale houses who were contracturally obligated not to sell to unlicensed individuals because they just assumed I was licensed and they wanted to make the sell. I bought $800K worth of through the wall heat pumps once directly from a manufacturer who would not sell to any individual because they had a network of distributors but I contacted them directly and they did the deal without ever asking any questions LOL. I made about $150K by making a phone call and BSing them into dealing with me directly.

Capacitors and contactors are relatively easy to source (Amazon) and replace. Control transformers also. There are a BUNCH of you tube videos. It can be done safely by most home owners who can change a breaker or a bad switch. But there is some risk and if it outside of your risk tolerance its best to pay a pro.

GTMODawg

BANNED

I do brakes for anyone who will ask me to simply because I hate to see anyone pay $300-$1000 for a repair that costs about $150 and about an hour of time. I change my own oil. I can't stand the thought of paying someone to do anything....I am a cheap son of a gun LOL. But I do understand that many people are far more comfortable paying a pro to do those things....and sometimes it is worth it just to save the time for doing something you would prefer doing. It'd be a huge financial risk for Bill Gates to change the oil in his truck LOL....since I don't earn $20K a second I am comfortable doing it myself....

DannyW

I do brakes for anyone who will ask me to simply because I hate to see anyone pay $300-$1000 for a repair that costs about $150 and about an hour of time. I change my own oil. I can't stand the thought of paying someone to do anything....I am a cheap son of a gun LOL. But I do understand that many people are far more comfortable paying a pro to do those things....and sometimes it is worth it just to save the time for doing something you would prefer doing. It'd be a huge financial risk for Bill Gates to change the oil in his truck LOL....since I don't earn $20K a second I am comfortable doing it myself....

You sound like me. Especially over the last 20 years or so, or since the invent of Google. There is a wealth of "how to" information and videos on the internet.

But I have learned my limits, especially when it comes to repairs which may kill me.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Unless it’s a simple electrical repair the fact that it’s R22 means obsolete basically.

ClemsonRangers

R22 is still available

mine developed a leak after 16 years and had to be replaced

oldfella1962

oh I change my own oil only because I don't trust the workers at the chain oil places.
:mad: You know the old saying "you had ONE JOB!" :mad: but sure enough myself and people I know personally have had those jokers make incredibly stupid mistakes changing oil and filters.

Gator89

Does the condensate drain have a float switch that shuts the unit off if the condensate is not draining?

I found out the hard way this is the first thing to check. Since my air handling unit is in my garage the float switch is dangling free so it cannot shut off my AC.

Pour some vinegar every now & then in your drain line to keep it clear of algae which can cause condensate to back up.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
There is no way I would do just anyone's brakes. If they go down the road and hit someone, then say "I just had my brakes fixed by Joe Blow, guess who is going to end up in court in a lawsuit they can't win????

My kids or parents? you bet? Anyone who asks? ain't no way

jrickman

oh I change my own oil only because I don't trust the workers at the chain oil places.

Some years back I caught a place (since closed) in Duluth not replacing the oil filters. They would just drain the oil and refill it, then send you on your way.

GTMODawg

BANNED
There is no way I would do just anyone's brakes. If they go down the road and hit someone, then say "I just had my brakes fixed by Joe Blow, guess who is going to end up in court in a lawsuit they can't win????

My kids or parents? you bet? Anyone who asks? ain't no way

My wife has mentioned this a time or two but to be honest I ain't concerned in the least because I know that putting pads and rotors or drums on a vehicle ain't going to cause a brake system to fail. If I did something that caused the system to fail I would be at fault but pads and rotors ain't going to do it. It is surprising how few people will take you up on the offer though because they think it is a serious undertaking and could be dangerous. More will say "I'd rather have it done at a shop" than "what time you think you can do it" LOL. The shop ain't no more liable than I am and ain't any less likely to cause a problem other than charging way more than it is worth. Especially on modern vehicles...most of them ain't even bolted together....

I have ran across some I couldn't replace because of bolts being stripped and what have you but I ain't ever made one worse for the experience and to be honest don't know how one could if they wanted to. Very simple systems other than they can be seized up and hard to loosen up sometimes.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Some years back I caught a place (since closed) in Duluth not replacing the oil filters. They would just drain the oil and refill it, then send you on your way.

that use to be the norm. Replace the filter every 2nd oil change

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My wife has mentioned this a time or two but to be honest I ain't concerned in the least because I know that putting pads and rotors or drums on a vehicle ain't going to cause a brake system to fail. If I did something that caused the system to fail I would be at fault but pads and rotors ain't going to do it. It is surprising how few people will take you up on the offer though because they think it is a serious undertaking and could be dangerous. More will say "I'd rather have it done at a shop" than "what time you think you can do it" LOL. The shop ain't no more liable than I am and ain't any less likely to cause a problem other than charging way more than it is worth. Especially on modern vehicles...most of them ain't even bolted together....

I have ran across some I couldn't replace because of bolts being stripped and what have you but I ain't ever made one worse for the experience and to be honest don't know how one could if they wanted to. Very simple systems other than they can be seized up and hard to loosen up sometimes.

Really? and you want to convince a jury that you opening up a brake system, spilling brake fluid out on the ground, and replacing a lot of mysterious parts wasn't what cause Silly Sally to hit Granny's car and kill her?

and BTW... shops carry insurance for just that reason.

GTMODawg

BANNED
:mad: You know the old saying "you had ONE JOB!" :mad: but sure enough myself and people I know personally have had those jokers make incredibly stupid mistakes changing oil and filters.

To be honest I figure most people working at walmart and the like changing oil are probably about on par with someone working at mcdonads and the likliehood of getting a coke when you ordered a diet coke is about 50/50 and pick 'em. Not too risky when you are talking about a dollar coke but when it comes to a major expense and one used daily to pay all expenses I just ain't that risk tolerant. Nothing at all wrong with working at walmart changing oil but they don't earn enough to lend me a lot of comfort in them not being complacent and distracted.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Really? and you want to convince a jury that you opening up a brake system, spilling brake fluid out on the ground, and replacing a lot of mysterious parts wasn't what cause Silly Sally to hit Granny's car and kill her?

and BTW... shops carry insurance for just that reason.

Replacing pads and rotors/drums does not require opening up the hydraulic system. I have replaced hundreds, maybe thousands of brake pads and rotors and drums on all sorts of vehicles and not once did I ever see a drop of brake fluid spilling out of a system because of bad pads or rotors/drums.....If I did I would show the owner and tell them they needed to get that fixed right away. I would imagine a lawyer would have a hard time 'splaining how changing pads and rotors caused brake fluid to spill out of a closed system in the first place. Replacing pads and rotors or drums does not require opening up the system. If you are rebuilding or replacing wheel cylinders you could indeed cause that kind of problem. I replace my own when needed, I wouldn't replace someone else's. Replacing a master cylinder could probably also cause that sort of issue but they are pretty simple also...if they ain't leaking when you finish they ain't going to start anytime soon and they ain't going to fail catastrophically. Changing pads and rotors/drums is a mechanical process which requires unbolting and bolting mechanical parts back on a vehicle, and in the case of most modern cars my be a matter of simply snapping clips back in place. It is about as challenging as changing a tire....in fact taking the wheel off and replacing it is about the harderst part of it outside of getting the dang rotor retaining screw to break loose. I'll help someone of change a tire for someone on the side of the road in a minute if they need help....if that wheel fell off and they sued me they got it to do....I ain't going to worry about it.

I did put a fire out on a womans car one time when it backfired through the carburetor by removing the breather and slinging dirt on that blaze LOL. Lots of dirt. In retrospect way more dirt than was necessary. Her husband wanted to whup me over it but he never mentioned any lawyers and she was very happy that her car was no longer on fire LOL. IN retrospect smothering that fire with a shirt would have been a better idea but the fire was extinguished either way and it'd been a lot worse had it not been. I still feel bad about doing that....I was 15 at the time and did what I thought was best while she was having what would be called a nervous breakdown at the time.....but that old boy wouldve sued me, shot me or whupped me over it.

longbowdave1

Like others said could be capacitor or contactor. Capacitors usually split, crack, or swell when they go should be obivious signs of damage. My contactor when out a few years back, 20 dollar part. Look for signs of eccessive heat in the form of discolored or darkened wires, or burnt looking contacts. Doesn't hurt to check obvious things that you feel comforable doing. A good visual sometimes leads to the problem, then call for service if you cant figure it out.

GTMODawg

BANNED
that use to be the norm. Replace the filter every 2nd oil change

I have always replaced it but it ain't really necessary. It used to be the norm to dump the filter and re-use it and modern filters are far superior, as are lubricants, than they were back in the day when 100K miles was a lot of miles on a vehicle. If you read an owners manual on a modern vehicle most people, me included, change oil way to often. Even with traditional oil very few manufacturers recommend 3000 miles unless you are driving in some really harsh conditions like many miles of dirt roads or in an area with lots of sand in the air all the time or towing a heavy load. I change mine around 3000 if using conventional oil and around 5000 with synthetics but it ain't necessary.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Keep it on topic folks. If it ain’t about the OPs question it doesn’t belong in this thread.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Like others said could be capacitor or contactor. Capacitors usually split, crack, or swell when they go should be obivious signs of damage. My contactor when out a few years back, 20 dollar part. Look for signs of eccessive heat in the form of discolored or darkened wires, or burnt looking contacts. Doesn't hurt to check obvious things that you feel comforable doing. A good visual sometimes leads to the problem, then call for service if you cant figure it out.

This is spot on....most failed capacitors are noticable even if they ain't obviously split open....they will be swollen or there will be noticeable sign of excessive heat....akin to smoke residue on any metallic surface. There will also likely to be some odor of smoke present. It is possible though that a capacitor can be bad simply because it ain't no good anymore. Like a battery capacitors can fail just because they are old. The diaelectric material in them gets brittle, corroded and they won't charge and thus do not discharge when needed. Usually they will do this from time to time before failing completely but in an AC system it usually goes unoticed because you ain't aware of when the system ought to come on but only when it hasn't and the temperature goes up. When they finally do fail in this manner they will usually short out causing obvious signs that they are bad, cracks, swelling or splitting....but they can also just fail and look perfectly normal. They are simple to check with a multi-meter but the process is beyond most home owners....and given that they cheap and readily available in a few days on amazon its about as effective just to replace it and see if it fixes the problem.