Another New Cartridge from Hornady

Big7

The Oracle
Ron Spomer has a good Youtube on that cartridge.

It looks promising for target shooters with long, heavy for caliber boolits and proper twist rates.

It doesn't cover any bases I don't already have covered and I'm convinced that a heavier 7MM boolit will hit the mark better and farther than a 6.5MM.

bighonkinjeep

Another answer to a problem that doesnt exist.
Ammo/components for many common calibers are still hard enough to come by and the
.300PRC has been out for some time now with ammo and components unobtainable.
After seeing new cartrideges hyped and released time and time again, I just dont see the niche for this one to be successful.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Another answer to a problem that doesnt exist.
Ammo/components for many common calibers are still hard enough to come by and the
.300PRC has been out for some time now with ammo and components unobtainable.
After seeing new cartrideges hyped and released time and time again, I just dont see the niche for this one to be successful.

I thought the same thing also. You'd think these companies would be more interested in producing popular calibers that are still hard to find.

Big7

The Oracle
Click on this

I realize he is a paid writer.

Dub

Just make Ammo for calibers already in existence..!

Same thought I had when the .30 Super Carry was released….smack dab in the middle of Imp Fauci era.

Could hardly find 9mm or .45acp anywhere and the want to come out with a niche round for recoil averse cupcakes.

earlthegoat2

There is a lot of 7mm love out there. More so than .277 so I see it supplanting the 6.8 Western.

280 AI guys may pick up on it as a contemporary to their favorite cartridge.

FlipKing

I
There is a lot of 7mm love out there. More so than .277 so I see it supplanting the 6.8 Western.

280 AI guys may pick up on it as a contemporary to their favorite cartridge.
I had high hopes for the 6.8

SC Hunter

I'll add to the echo here and ask why introduce a new cartridge when the ones out now the ammo is so hard to find in most cases. Ammo isn't absolutely unattainable but it can be problematic at times.

If you are wanting to shoot big bullets fast with alot of authority down range a 300 win mag is about the best option I can rationalize in my little pea brain. You can load from 130 to 220 grain bullets but will be limited with barrel twist of course. The new cartridges are definitely hard to find ammo for and I don't like having to search for it.

If I were ever going to get another magnum, which I doubt I will but who knows, I'd get another 300 win mag and shoot these hard to kill whitetail deers with it.

Powerline

I’m definitely getting one! Especially want it in the Springfield 2020 Waypoint, which I’m hearing could be first of the year.

menhadenman

That new cartridge can’t hang with my 7RM 1:8 X bolt… 180s over 3000 fps. Fills no gaps in my safe and $3 per trigger squeeze doesn’t sound good to me.

This one will join the short mag family of cartridges that mostly went extinct after plenty of hype 20 years ago.

BriarPatch99

The only advantage over the .280 Remington is the ability to use the longer bullets ...same with the .260 Remington/Creedmoor, same with the .270 WSM /6.8 Western ......can add the 6.5/06/6.5 PRC to the list also

Last edited:

Powerline

I think the thing to remember here with the 7 PRC is that it does two things that doesn’t require you to have a custom 7 Rem mag built.

1. Specifically requires a faster twist 1:8
2. Match chamber with tighter tolerance than any run of the mill 7 Rem mag.

7 PRC is designed to be accurate and shoot extremely high BC bullets long range if that’s your game. And they are building bullets and rifles that will be available and not require custom builds.

buckpasser

I predict this one is a bust too. As others have said, enough already! All niches are filled. There isn’t a need for anything else at this point IMO. Until the world goes to lasers or cartridge-less or ray guns, or light sabers, we’re good. Thanks, but no thanks.

FlipKing

I’m definitely getting one! Especially want it in the Springfield 2020 Waypoint, which I’m hearing could be first of the year.
I have a Waypoint in .308. Love it. Having one in an "out west" caliber would be awesome.