New 9mm CC gun choices

pse hunter

I've been thinking for a while of wanting to get me a compact 9mm and I've narrowed it down to three different ones. let me hear y'all's opinion about each one. first one is the cheapest of the group. is the Taurus gx4 at 300.00 with a capacity of 11 + 1. Second choice is the Ruger Max 9 pro which is a 10 + 1 or a 12 + 1 with extended magazine at 350.00. and third and final choice and probably the Cadillac of them. Is Springfield armory hellcat with capacity 11 + 1 or 13 + 1 with extended mag at 520.00 the weight, heights, lengths is almost exactly the same with all of them

Dub

I have never shot any of those three…so my opinion is based on ignorance.

My concern with the first two is how long will the manufacturers support each model with parts, magazine availability, etc. Their track record with semi-auto centerfire production longevity isn’t very noteworthy….both Ruger and Taurus. They’ll drop ‘em if they don’t stay hot on sales.

What does the holster market look like for each ?

My concern over the last one is that it is made in Croatia vs being made in America. If given the choice I would prefer buying American made products….especially guns. If that makes me a nationalist jerk….so be it. I am cool with that. :)

Glock 19, Sig P365 or one of the single-stack Glocks will come with excellent ongoing support from the makers and a tremendous array of aftermarket accessories.
Gonna run you $250 more but for something that could save your life…it is money well spent.

pse hunter

I have tried to like Glocks over the years and I just can't.
the sig p365 was the worse feeling gun I've ever picked up IMO.
I've also been looking at the S&W M&P Shield Plus

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I like an exposed hammer and s/a or d/a option.
My HK P30 sk (subcompact) is in this size group.
10+1 or 12+1 depending on the magazine...

bullgator

The Ruger may work on the budget end. It’s trigger and accuracy won’t be anything spectacular but more than enough for self defense. If it’s not going to be a high volume fun gun, just get the mags and holster and you should be fine. Like Dub said, this model may disappear in the future.
The Springfield, Glocks, SIGs, and Smiths all make models that should work for you. I also like the Walther PPS if 7-8 rounds is enough.

FlipKing

Hellcats are really solid. A 43 or 43x with shield arms mags are great. P365s are one of the of the most popular ccw pistols on the market currently.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have tried to like Glocks over the years and I just can't.
the sig p365 was the worse feeling gun I've ever picked up IMO.
I've also been looking at the S&W M&P Shield Plus

I'm just curious what exactly turns you off about a Glock??

Just about every plastic pistol out there is similar, at least.

A carry gun is a tool, and that's it, when you boil it all down.

I'm a "gun guy" and I have more than my fair share.

Many handguns look better, feel better, shoot more accurately, etc. I enjoy owning, shooting, and looking at most pistolas "better" than a Glock.

But 99% of the time, that's what I carry, because I know it'll work if needed.

There are many choices out there nowadays, so I'm sure you'll find what suits you best.

Big7

The Oracle
I have a Taurus G3 that came with a 15+1 and 17+1 magazine and a G2C 12+1. Have not had any problems with either and they use each other's magazines. Before that, I had. PT111 Millennium Pro and those mags for the other two. All new Taurus pistols come with 2 magazines that are 40$ each bought separately.

ALL Taurus manufactured pistols are +P+ rated and eat anything you put in them.

I carry the G2C almost everywhere along with my Ruger LCP.

Can't go wrong with a Ruger either.

Never had a Hellcat so IDK about that one.

Last edited:

Liberty

The 365 shoots like a dream, with the extended magazine-which defeats the whole purpose of a micro 9. I’d settle on a medium frame gun and a good belt/holster. Hank’s makes a fine belt to tote your pistol.

Big7

The Oracle
I have a Taurus G3 that came with a 15+1 and 17+1 magazine and a G2C 12+1. Have not had any problems with either and they use each other's magazines. Before that, I had. PT111 Millennium Pro and those mags fot the other two. All new Taurus pistols come with 2 magazines that ate 40$ each bought separately.

ALL Taurus manufactured pistols are +P+ rated and eat anything you put in them.

I carry the G2C almost everywhere along with my Ruger LCP.

Can't go wrong with a Ruger either.

Never had a Hellcat so IDK about that one.
PS... I did look real hard at the Ruger EC9S. 7+1
EXCELLENT PISTOL. I shot a box through one with xero issues. It's very small and slim. Not much bigger than the LCP.

Basically a slightly scaled up version of the .380 Auto LCP.

I would have bought that if I didn't already have 7 handguns.

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH A RUGER!

sbroadwell

I’ve had great success with my Sig P365. I guess everyone is different; mine fits my hand fine. I pocket carry, with the slightly extended 12 round magazine. It’s too big for the pocket with the 15 rounder.
To me, it shoots as accurately or better than any bigger gun I’ve got, so it’s become the only one I usually carry. 2000+ rounds through it and not a single malfunction.

Big7

The Oracle
See post #12 and #14.
These are my 2 current Taurus 9MM's.

And remember you can't go wrong with a Ruger either. :wink:

20230716_213753.jpg20230716_213905.jpg20230716_213918.jpg20230716_213846.jpg

transfixer

in my opinion what you choose should depend on whether you're going to carry it daily ? or it is going to just be a range gun ? will you carry it in a belt holster ? or inside he waistband ?

I've had a variety of carry guns, that I've tried carrying daily, everything from Springfield xds , Glock 43, Shield, G26, G23, G19, CZp10s, i generally have carried IWB, previously at the 4 o'clock position, now carry appendix, the Sig p365 is the best carrying gun I've ever carried, more rounds than the 43 or xds or shield, and at least as accurate or more than all of them.

If you're going to belt carry then a larger gun might serve you well, or if its only a range toy then size doesn't matter

I personally would stay aware from Taurus, while they may have improved, they are still having issues, recently saw a recall on the newest compact model, something about the trigger not being drop safe