New 9mm CC gun choices

Adam5

The Ruger would be my choice of the three. They have great reliability and some of the l best customer service in the industry.

Taurus has had spotty reliability over the years. When owned Taurus pistols sever had to go back for various issues, one went back multiple times. There’s also the issue of the President of Taurus Brazil (Taurus USA’s parent company) supporting civilian gun control in their home country.

I had a Hellcat for short bit. It never felt right in my hand and for the life of me I couldn’t shoot it accurately.

Don’t count out a S&W Shield plus or M&P 2.0 Compact.

Baroque Brass

Between the Hellcat and the Sig 365 I like the Sig better, but we’re all different. It’s what works for you. I have a G2C and it’s been flawless. Taurus has a factory in Bainbridge and their customer support has been great. They make a great gun for about $300 MSRP.

JDBrown

All models mentioned above are great choices, with that being said, I'm a Ruger fan, most days, I carry my standard Security 9, 15+1, plenty accurate for defense. No problems with mine as far as reliability. It's a little smaller and easier to carry for me than my full size 1911. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you're considering, just practice, and get confident with it.

Buford_Dawg

Check out the Ruger Security 9 Compact. I have several of the standard Security 9's and Compacts. There are great guns for the price point. Never had a FTF in any of them and they have been shoot alot between me and my sons. I just bought a CZ P10 Compact last weekend, they call it the Glock Killer, I don't know about that but I must say for first time shooting it I was very impressed, ate all flavors of cheap target ammo.

transfixer

Check out the Ruger Security 9 Compact. I have several of the standard Security 9's and Compacts. There are great guns for the price point. Never had a FTF in any of them and they have been shoot alot between me and my sons. I just bought a CZ P10 Compact last weekend, they call it the Glock Killer, I don't know about that but I must say for first time shooting it I was very impressed, ate all flavors of cheap target ammo.

BD , I've owned the p10 compact and the p10s model, subcompact, both were excellent pistols, great triggers and accurate shooters, they have some of the features you have to add to Glocks to get them like you want them, such as a decent trigger, if I didn't like my Sig p365 so much I'd still have the S model

Waddams

I say go to range, rent each, and try them out first. Me personally, I shoot my Rugers way better than anything else I pick up but I'm well practiced and used to the trigger pull and grip now. I shoot Glocks like crap - something about the different grip angle maybe? I'm sure if I switched to Glocks and spent the range time to do it, I'd get good with them too. It's all about practice with your own personal weapon to get proficient with it. So go try them, see what works best. It might make your mind up.

I know people with Taurus guns that have never had an issue with 1000s of rounds downrange. I know a few that had problems too. I don't know anyone that had consistent problems with a Ruger, Glock, Sig, etc. If you went with the Taurus, I'd say go to range with it several times, and cycle through as many rounds as you can to give it a good break in and work out. Make any issues show themselves on the range so that doesn't happen in a moment when it really, really matters.

Big7

The Oracle
in my opinion what you choose should depend on whether you're going to carry it daily ? or it is going to just be a range gun ? will you carry it in a belt holster ? or inside he waistband ?

I've had a variety of carry guns, that I've tried carrying daily, everything from Springfield xds , Glock 43, Shield, G26, G23, G19, CZp10s, i generally have carried IWB, previously at the 4 o'clock position, now carry appendix, the Sig p365 is the best carrying gun I've ever carried, more rounds than the 43 or xds or shield, and at least as accurate or more than all of them.

If you're going to belt carry then a larger gun might serve you well, or if its only a range toy then size doesn't matter

I personally would stay aware from Taurus, while they may have improved, they are still having issues, recently saw a recall on the newest compact model, something about the trigger not being drop safe
That recall was way back when the PT-111 Millennium Pro's were out. I was carrying one at the time and when I went to sell/trade it, my LGS told me to leave it with them for shipping.

They sent me a new G2 (free, of course)
They are tough guns and all of Taurus manufactured are +P+ rated. They have a facility in Bainbridge and customer service is good.

I have never had so much as a jam or stove pipe and I shoot 200- 300 rounds of whatever is on sale at the time and they eat anything you put in there.

I am a Ruger man for sure but the Taurus pistols are outstanding. IMO.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

Way back in the duty days I carried a Smith & Wesson Model 10 with the heavy barrel. The same gun I saw Bill Jordan use in one of his shows for the NRA.
I loved that gun, never should have sold it. But I've been a S&W fan ever since. That's why I carry a 40 caliber S&W compact. This gun has never, not once failed to fire, stovepiped or any of the other things auto's do. The Shield is nice also and lighter than the compact.
I would probably like the Sigs also if I really looked at them.
I like most Rugers except the auto's as I had one that stopped shooting. Upon inspection I found they had hung a spring on a plastic tab which had broken. The gun in question was a SR9C. But the revolvers I really like. Especially the single actions.
But don't stop looking. This is the fun part.

Last edited:

Dub

I've been thinking for a while of wanting to get me a compact 9mm and I've narrowed it down to three different ones. let me hear y'all's opinion about each one. first one is the cheapest of the group. is the Taurus gx4 at 300.00 with a capacity of 11 + 1. Second choice is the Ruger Max 9 pro which is a 10 + 1 or a 12 + 1 with extended magazine at 350.00. and third and final choice and probably the Cadillac of them. Is Springfield armory hellcat with capacity 11 + 1 or 13 + 1 with extended mag at 520.00 the weight, heights, lengths is almost exactly the same with all of them

Have you added the compact 9mm yet ?

If so, what did you choose ?

How is it running for you ?

Dub

Have you seen the mags Palmetto state is making for the 43x , supposed to be polymer and hold 15rds ?
(y)
I saw them listed….but had a discount code that brought the Shield S15 mags down to lower cost than the new PSE.

Big7

The Oracle
Saw several Canik pistols at a store I have never been to yesterday.

Didn't really have time to do a proper assessment but they looked to be well made with nice lines and they were very ergonomic.

I'm pistol poor but if I was in the market, I'd give Canik a serious look.

Dub

Saw several Canik pistols at a store I have never been to yesterday.

Didn't really have time to do a proper assessment but they looked to be well made with nice lines and they were very ergonomic.

I'm pistol poor but if I was in the market, I'd give Canik a serious look.

Their “competition “ models (can’t remember the number) come with great fiber optic irons, 20+ round magazines, optic ready and have stellar triggers.

Like many of the polymer strikers on the market they are made overseas, Canik being Turkish made. That may be a showstopper for some buyers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would not trust my life to a Taurus.

Glock, Ruger, or Springer.