I need opinions from the gun experts.

Toliver

By definition, this is a handgun/pistol. And I've never seen a shotgun round like this. I can only imagine the powder load and wadding are significantly reduced. So what type of speed, kinetic energy and ultimately damage to target are we talking here?

Screenshot_20230829_094655_Signal.jpgScreenshot_20230829_094705_Signal.jpg

transfixer

I've not shot those, but I've seen them around, they're called mini shells, you should be able to look up ballistics on them online, those are Federal it appears, and I believe Aguila makes some also , but they will be a good bit less powerful or lethal than 2 3/4in loads

Toliver

Thanks. It was suggested for dispatching a gator but I just fear a slug, even a reduced one, might damage the skull and hide too badly.

bullgator

The payload is reduced but the velocity stays up around 1100-1200 fps.

Toliver

The article says they're not designed to mushroom like standard slugs. That tells me if we put the barrel to the back of a gator head it's going to make a big mess going through and coming out the other side. I think I'll just stick with shooting them with my .40 cal.

SC Hunter

Any gator I've been apart of killing has been with a 9mm hollow point. Specifically a Glock 43 or 43x

lampern

That gun is not classifeid as a handgun/pistol by the Feds

So it might not be legal to use under state hunting laws

That is a Mossberg Shockwave pistol grip only firearm

Toliver

Any gator I've been apart of killing has been with a 9mm hollow point. Specifically a Glock 43 or 43x
I could take my 43 but I carry a 22 anyway so I just take that. It doesn't take a huge round if you hit them in the right spot.

Toliver

That gun is not classifeid as a handgun/pistol by the Feds

So it might not be legal to use under state hunting laws

That is a Mossberg Shockwave pistol grip only firearm
I was concerned about the legality myself when I first saw it but I shared the pictures with a person well versed in carry law and he said it would technically be classified as a pistol based on the definition. But I personally wouldn't argue it either way and I certainly don't want to debate it with the game warden while I'm standing over a dead gator.

lampern

State laws may very well allow that firearm if you are now talking state hunting laws

Sorry for the confusion

Toliver

State laws may very well allow that firearm if you are now talking state hunting laws

Sorry for the confusion
That's just it. Alligator hunting laws allow a bang stick or handgun to dispatch the animal once it's secured by one of the legal means. I'm guessing it would be bad to be caught with a rifle on the boat. So I'm uncomfortable with how the law man would view it and what damage it would do. I was hoping someone here had some personal experience with them.

lampern

I have no idea how the game wardens classify that firearm

I just know the feds neither consider it a rife, handgun or shotgun

Toliver

I have no idea how the game wardens classify that firearm

I just know the feds neither consider it a rife, handgun or shotgun
That's the other thing my gun guy said. He said it's going to either be a pistol or "other" firearm. And as little as I trust the ATF to be clear on things, I'm not taking chances with "other".

lampern

What the ATF thinks doesn't matter.

Now that I understand you, you are asking if its legal for alligator hunting.

That would be a state issue.

Toliver

But wouldn't the state have to go by the federal definition of pistol, rifle, sbr, etc? It's all so convoluted. I'll go with what I know won't cause me any issues but I'm hoping I'll get a chance to talk the game wardens to see what he says. I see these opinions go from the guy with the cuffs to the judge to another judge to another and another with the ruling going back and forth. I don't want my gator in an evidence freezer waiting for somebody's final answer. :bounce:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
That's a shotgun, any way you cut it, and each of the three game wardens I know would see it as such...

They are pretty touchy about Gator laws...

I wouldn't.

Those mini shells with buckshot are pretty impressive. As somebody said, only the payload is reduced, velocity is standard.

I think the Mossberg under the bed has 14 in it... :)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
This came from gunsamerica website, an explanation of what the Shockwave is.
  1. All shotguns are intended to be fired from the shoulder.
  2. All shotguns must have an 18-inch barrel. If the gun has a stock and a barrel shorter than 18 inches, it is classified as a “Short Barreled Shotgun” (SBS), requiring a $200.00 transfer tax.
  3. If the shotgun has a pistol grip and is less than 26 inches in overall length, it is considered an “Any Other Weapon” (AOW). Good news: AOWs only require a $5 transfer tax.
  4. The Shockwave is created as follows. Start with a shotgun that has NEVER had a stock attached. Add a pistol grip, and the gun is now considered a PGO (Pistol Grip Only). It is NOT a shotgun, as it is not intended to be fired from the shoulder. Next, add a 14-inch barrel so the overall length is just under 26½ inches. The length being greater than 26 inches disqualifies the gun from being an AOW. So, the BATFE declares that you now have a “Non-NFA Firearm.”
  5. The Shockwave is not a shotgun, nor a handgun, but a firearm. It requires no special paperwork other than the 4473, and the buyer must be 21 years old. Some states may have restrictions on the Shockwave, so check your state and local laws!