Savage bringing new high end rifles to market.

bullgator

Nope!

• Haha
Reactions: rmp

Jester896

Senior Clown
it is hard to justify that when you park the truck and walk 100 yards to the stand to shoot 150 yards.

If i were climbing foot hills or mountains for miles a 6 1/2# rifle would be what I wanted to tote. If it had and adjustable cheek riser that would even make it more desirable. They say the newer carbon barrels could actually be stiffer than a steel one. I bet the stock would be stiffer too.

HughW2

Yes, those prices are steep. All the manufacturers are jumping on carbon fiber barrels. I get the importance of shaving ounces if you are going sheep or elk hunting, but don‘t see the value for us hunting deer from tree stands. Same goes for muzzle breaks and goes double for the straight pull action.

Liberty

I like their actions for what they are, but a not-so-slick 110 action with a fancy barrel screwed on is still a 110. For a $3200 msrp, I'd be looking for a $1000 custom action, $600 barrel, $700 stock with bottom metal, $150 trigger, and have $750 left for a scope.

FlipKing

Don't get me wrong, I have $2k rifles, but if I'm spending that, savage isn't the first brand I'm looking at. I'm sure they shoot, just think they missed their target audience on this one. I'd rather have a waypoint, Ridgeline, seekins, bergara carbon, or even a fierce.

FlipKing

it is hard to justify that when you park the truck and walk 100 yards to the stand to shoot 150 yards.

If i were climbing foot hills or mountains for miles a 6 1/2# rifle would be what I wanted to tote. If it had and adjustable cheek riser that would even make it more desirable. They say the newer carbon barrels could actually be stiffer than a steel one. I bet the stock would be stiffer too.
My carbon barrels shoot great, no argument there.

bighonkinjeep

I think there are many that dont understand what a true piece of fantastic engineering work the Savage 110 truly is. The lock time at 1.6ms is the fastest in the industry and nearly half that of a 700. The Floating bolt head aligns perfectly when its in battery eliminating the need to lap the lugs for full contact and also makes bolt head swaps to different cartridges a snap. The barrel nut allows for ultra precise headspacing and simple owner barrel swaps. The old style 3 screw triggers are kitchen table adjustable to near perfection with zero pre travel creep and minimum overtravel with a consistant 2# break. The more modern Accutrigger design is the most copied user adjustable trigger in history for many reasons. Factory bedding blocks make for excellent mating of the stock and action and user adjustable spacers for length of pull and comb height minimize scope and mounting limitations and assure proper fit. All this leads to the most accurate out of the box mass produced rifle available. Since Ron Coburn turned the company around and started offering what were once custom gunsmith only options on factory rifles at a reasonable price the others have been working overtime and racing to try and keep up.plenty of their factory rifles competing with customs and holding their own every day. Everybody makes their own choices but In my opinion those that think more cost of a different mass produced factory rifle will get a more accurate capable unit than a Savage 110 are kidding themselves. The Savage 110 is the longest continually manufactured bolt action rifle in the US and still the only thing the others can say that holds any water is " the barrel nut makes it ugly"
Dont think Id go for the newer impulse design but the 110s are as solid as they come. Adding high end custom features to factory rifles at a decent price is something Savage excells at. Add the new features to your favorite rifle and price it out. Suddenly the Savage is a bargain. (keep in mind street prices are most always lower than factory list)

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I am sure there must be a target buyer for these.

I am also sure that I'm not it. :rofl:
Amen, I’m leaving this thread feeling like poor white trash.

Liberty

I’ve been looking at custom hunting rifles lately and saw some 700 based rifles in excess of $6,000 last night sitting in fiberglass stocks. I’m not going to say the name of the company, just that is well known and Georgia based. They have been in business for a while, so someone must be buying them, but man that is a whole lot of money for one tube that’s not in some awfully fancy walnut. 3k seems like a bargain compared to those things. There is something for everyone or a fool and his money soon go separate ways. Not really sure what to think about 5 large to go from 3/4 to 1/2 moa.

Liberty

I think there are many that dont understand what a true piece of fantastic engineering work the Savage 110 truly is. The lock time at 1.6ms is the fastest in the industry and nearly half that of a 700. The Floating bolt head aligns perfectly when its in battery eliminating the need to lap the lugs for full contact and also makes bolt head swaps to different cartridges a snap. The barrel nut allows for ultra precise headspacing and simple owner barrel swaps. The old style 3 screw triggers are kitchen table adjustable to near perfection with zero pre travel creep and minimum overtravel with a consistant 2# break. The more modern Accutrigger design is the most copied user adjustable trigger in history for many reasons. Factory bedding blocks make for excellent mating of the stock and action and user adjustable spacers for length of pull and comb height minimize scope and mounting limitations and assure proper fit. All this leads to the most accurate out of the box mass produced rifle available. Since Ron Coburn turned the company around and started offering what were once custom gunsmith only options on factory rifles at a reasonable price the others have been working overtime and racing to try and keep up.plenty of their factory rifles competing with customs and holding their own every day. Everybody makes their own choices but In my opinion those that think more cost of a different mass produced factory rifle will get a more accurate capable unit than a Savage 110 are kidding themselves. The Savage 110 is the longest continually manufactured bolt action rifle in the US and still the only thing the others can say that holds any water is " the barrel nut makes it ugly"
Dont think Id go for the newer impulse design but the 110s are as solid as they come. Adding high end custom features to factory rifles at a decent price is something Savage excells at. Add the new features to your favorite rifle and price it out. Suddenly the Savage is a bargain. (keep in mind street prices are most always lower than factory list)
I have one made just after WW2 that is detachable magazine fed, almost unheard of for the time. They are remarkable in the under $600 price range.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The lock time at 1.6ms is the fastest in the industry and nearly half that of a 700.
but doesn't it only travel 1/2 the distance a 700 does? Thought I read that somewhere once. With a SpeedLock you can get a Remington in the 1.8ms range.

a Salvage rifle is more accurate because it doesn't give you time to lift your face off before it fires::ke:

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

but doesn't it only travel 1/2 the distance a 700 does? Thought I red that somewhere once. With a SpeedLock you can get a Remington in the 1.8ms range.

a Salvage rifle is more accurate because it doesn't give you time to lift your face off before it fires::ke:
And with a bolt lapping job the others can get full lug contact, And with a good gunsmith you can get a decent.trigger without having a "moment", And with aftermarket you can get a full length bedding block, And with a cheek rest you can get proper comb fit, and with a machinist you can adjust headspace and with a new bolt a new barrel and machinist you can change cartridges, and, and and.......
Lemme know when the average Joes budget is shot out trying to catch up. LoL
In case y'all aint figured it out, I'm a 110% Savageaholic Barrel Nut for Life.
:stir:

earlthegoat2

As someone who owns a mountain of Savage 10/110 rifles, no freaking thanks.

I have never been enamored with the carbon fiber wrapped barrels and since Savages have good aftermarket support, I would rather choose my own “high end” bolt ons.

Also, in that price range I would be going after the Weatherby Backcountry 11 times out of 10. Similar concept for similar money. The Savage action is good. Robust, reliable, and accurate. The Weatherby is a bit more refined though.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Love my old wood-stock 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. I don't often have to hike far, so the 9+ pounds is tolerable. It's a tack-driver.

Reactions: Dub