6.5 swede

jicard3

I’ve killed a lot of deer with a sporterized M96 Mauser. It caught my eye in the gun cabinet the other day and I told myself I should dust it off for deer season next year. It’s a sweet shooting round. Do you reload? 6.5 Swede ammo off the shelf here in the US is very tame so folks don’t run into pressure problems with the old Mauser actions. You should be able to crank them up safely out of that Tikka. 6.5 Swede has more case capacity than 6.5 Creedmoor.

Liberty

Try a 140 Hotcor over IMR 4350.

WaltL1

Have never had a Tikka but love the 6.5 Swede.
My rifle (Ruger M77) likes the regular old 140gr. CoreLokts so I always just used those with great results.

GregoryB.

I have a Ruger #1 RSI in 6.5 Swede . I shot the 139gr factory PPU loads in it. Very accurate but the bullet doesn’t hold up well. Got some 139gr Hornady SST and some 140gr NBT to load up and test.

Darien1

I have a Winchester Featherlite in the swede; I love that round. I wish I could get a Remington 788 in that round. I had the Ruger 77 RSI in the 6.5 but passed it on to my son,

furtaker

I have a Howa chambered in the Swede. It's the most accurate rifle I own.

Factory loads are mild but they are plenty to kill a deer. I've loaded 140 Speers and 140 Accubonds to around 2600-2650. I ordered some 156gr PPU round nose soft points a while back to try but I haven't messed with them yet.

Liberty

I find the felt recoil from a small ring 6.5 Swede carbine to be about like a .243. It’s a fantastically balanced cartridge, especially considering it was born in the 1890’s.

Bobby Bigtime

I have taken mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn and a cow elk with the Swede. As others have said it is a wonderfully balanced cartridge. I have never seen one that wasn't accurate. Mine shoots everything from 120s to 160s into impressive groups and works well with a variety of powders like 4350, 4064, 4831 and some others. She mostly is on antelope duty these days with 120 grain bullets where she really shines. You made a great choice and will love it! (Mine is an orbendorf Swede)

Robust Redhorse

I've had a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 for well over a decade.

It seems like all the "goobs" and "manbuns" think a 6.5 is a recent invention.

My dad killed two monster bucks in the north Georgia mountains in the 60's with a 6.5 WWII surplus rifle that he bought for $25.

Tight Lines

I have a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. Essentially the same ballistics, the 6.5CM is a better for semi-autos vs. the 6.5 Swede but other than that, it's a great round and you will love it. I can't say enough about my Tikkas. Have two in 6.5 CM, another in .270 WSM. They are great rifles right out of the box, and my 6.5CM with a Swaro scope and tactical turrets is great out to 400 yards (that's where the turrets stop) but could be further if I reset it to longer range. Congrats on the purchase!

Dub

I've had a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 for well over a decade.

It seems like all the "goobs" and "manbuns" think a 6.5 is a recent invention.

My dad killed two monster bucks in the north Georgia mountains in the 60's with a 6.5 WWII surplus rifle that he bought for $25.

"goobs" & "manbuns" may be enjoying the faster twist rates that spin those higher bc bullets so nicely at fun steel-banging extended distances.

They may also be enjoying the expansive load data that exists for the 6.5CM.....and /or the stockpiles of factory ammo that also exist for the 6.5CM.

Different horses for different courses, perhaps.
Perspective is gained when one considers the goals the shooter has in mind.

bullgator

9EB352B0-13F7-49CD-8A76-AE67BC7E5A15.jpegMy T3 Lite in 6.5 Swede. I’ve had it since 2016? I hunt with it just as you see it, 2.5-8 Leupold and orange display stickers…… :bounce:

bullgator

Nice rig. :rockon:

Wonder if the DNR Agents will give you some square inchage credits for the display sticker ? :bounce:
I’m not looking to find out :wink:

finnhunter

I've got three 6.5x55 Swede's in my safe. Oldest one was made in 1900. Very accurate, low recoil rifles. What's not to love?