Dumb people of Savannah and one dummy taking pictures of it

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Well, there are a lot of variables...

Generally speaking, we run trains at 10 to 15 thousand tons...

As far as stopping distance, let's just say it's a long way. If we know we're gonna have to stop a 50 mph line of road train, the process starts about two miles ahead of time..

You can't just jam all the brakes on at once, or the chances are pretty good that it will scatter railcars everywhere.

Now, we will emergency brake and scatter cars everywhere trying not to hit a school bus or a tank truck, but we ain't gonna tear a train up to avoid an F150...

Interestingly, from inside the cab, hitting a deer or an F150 sounds the same, and we don't feel a thing...
I love trains, always have but I have never been able to get into the front seat of one. At our shack in the hills, there is a transfer yard about 150 yds away. I often times walk down and watch them. I havent gotten the nerve up yet to ask one of folks for a tour.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I love trains, always have but I have never been able to get into the front seat of one. At our shack in the hills, there is a transfer yard about 150 yds away. I often times walk down and watch them. I havent gotten the nerve up yet to ask one of folks for a tour.
Heck man, just go talk to one of the crew, betcha a dollar they show you around...

sinclair1

You couldn’t melt me down and pour me into Savannah. Every Yankee’s dream. No thanks.
I wish I worked in the Yankee tourist section. I work in the Ghetto of Savannah. I commute 55 minutes from a rural area to make a better paycheck.

We go the River Street occasionally, but I am not a fan of the place myself.

Toliver

I had forgotten all about this one, but here's some perspective...

I hit this one in the yard, at 12 mph with only a three locomotive consist...Took me 300 feet to get stopped.

Taxi driver pulled right out in front of me..View attachment 1292638
View attachment 1292637
View attachment 1292636
View attachment 1292635

Taxi bus was yanked of the tracks with a backhoe, and I was back to work in 15 minutes. Taxi driver was not seriously injured, but he crapped his pants, and was fired...
You should have swerved and missed him. Poor guy might still have a good pair of underwear.

sinclair1

That track I posted gets Amtrak trains and those are really rolling. You don’t have long when the lights start until it’s passing. I guess they are going 45-50 mph but just a guess.

DannyW

Hah! I actually found an online ballistic energy calculator that would convert it.

50 MPH = 73.333 FPS
1,100 tons = 15,400,000,000 grains

Resulting in 183,922,575 ft/lbs of energy.

Last edited:

Toliver

Hah! I actually found an online ballistic energy calculator that would convert it.

50 MPH = 73.333 FPS
1,100 tons = 15,400,000,000 grains

Resulting in 183,922,575 ft/lbs of energy.
Looks like @Batjack forgot to carry the 1. Then he would have gotten the right answer... A whole lot.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Y'all need to add a zero...11 THOUSAND tons... :bounce:

Amtrak runs 79 mph...

We call those train fans "foamers" because that's all that's left when you hit one...

I got in trouble one in Folkston, Ga. Big foamer community there.

I was southbound about to cross the river, and we were meeting Amtrak. He was flat bookin' it, too.

I called him on the radio and told him to look out for a "dumb mass foamer" set up too close to the tracks, like S1s video guy...

Amtrak says "if he's that stupid, I'll splatter him and never slow down"...

We laughed and signed off.

That was when we found out that Folkston had installed a scanner and speaker so the foamers can listen to the railroad radio...

Foamer complained to Jacksonville about being called a DA, and "threatened" to be run over...:LOL:

Last edited:

sinclair1

Y'all need to add a zero...11 THOUSAND tons... :bounce:

Amtrak runs 79 mph...

We call those train fans "foamers" because that's all that's left when you hit one...

I got in trouble one in Folkston, Ga. Big foamer community there.

I was southbound about to cross the river, and we were meeting Amtrak. He was flat bookin' it, too.

I called him on the radio and told him to look out for a "dumb mass foamer" set up too close to the tracks, like S1s video guy...

Amtrak says "if he's that stupid, I'll splatter him and never slow down"...

We laughed and signed off.

That was when we found out that Folkston had installed a scanner and speaker so the foamers can listen to the railroad radio...

Foamer complained to Jacksonville about being called a DA, and "threatened" to be run over...:LOL:
We have two sets a block a part. One gets port trains and one the fast Amtrak.
I could be wrong about the being train specific but it sure seems that way.

It’s a school police that stops us every day and half the time someone will stop on the track.
It’s going to be ugly with the Amtrak. I
Mean when the gates go down you don’t have much time.

Last edited: