Berrien/ Lanier 2007

creekhunter

Here comes the rain!

We planted seed yesterday afternoon and put out fertilizer. Man, it was hot and muggy! I knew the rains were coming and here they are.;)

I saw the wierdest bird I've ever seen in the woods. It looked kinda like a fat quail with a really long beak on it. It was very curious of me on the 4-wheeler and didn't spook until I got too close for it's comfort. When it flew away, it didn't go far. I could tell it is too fat to fly very far. Anyone got any ideas what it was?:huh:

creekhunter

Snipe

AllBeef:

Yes, it was a common Snipe. Thank you. I guess I have seen one of these before, but not in a long time.
Snipe

billy336

One of the fellas saw a dozen turkeys yesterday. 10 hens and 2 gobblers. Looks like they finally made it onto our place.

billy336

Heading north tomorrow. First of 3 work weekends I have scheduled. Nothing beats the melody of a Ford diesel and a working bush hog. Music to my ears. Will sure be nice to get out of this mis 90 degree nonsense and feel a touch of cool. I check in on Monday with a report.

bigbear

billy this morning at 7:35 i saw 4 deer in that field south of your gate.there were 2 nice bucks ,1 smaller buck and the other one had a huge body but i could not see any horn.they were no more than a 75yds off the road.

billy336

Big Bear, that's the kinda news I needed to hear!! Me and the old man busted our humps mowing around the place this past weekend. Saw a small doe off the front porch at 1030 AM. She hadnt ever seen a human, she walked towards us and didnt stop until she was 60 yards from us. Thanks for the news, made my day!!!

Whitetailer

Back from Yellowstone!!!

Hey all, I just got back from my Montana/Wyoming trip last night.

Wow, nearly three weeks above 6000 feet and it sure is dry and dusty out there, but the wildlife and fishing is incredible!!!!!

NOW,
I need to make the wife understand that I HAVE to get right up to the property to plant plots etc.

A couple of the members were up and liked what they saw. The pines have been thinned leaving lots of long lanes for viewing or planting. Lots of cleared areas for plots where the loading was going on and looong shooting lanes too. Of coures the river bottom has not been touched..

I am guessing there has not been much rain???

Anyway, it is good to be back and look foreword to hearing your reports!!!!

Whitetailer

billy336

Russ, welcome back to rainy azz south FL. Post some pics of your trip when you get a chance. Ya'll will definitely kill some deer up there this year. Rain has been pretty consistent up there. I'll be planting on Oct. 6th, gives the seed two weeks to sprout for opening morning. You have a treasure now, but without alot of maintenance, you will have a jungle on your hands by next season. I know this as we slacked on mowing the thinned lanes on our place a couple years back and now its a wall of briars, myrtles, and vines that you cant even walk through. But by being so thick, the deer have really moved onto our place, as there has been a bunch of clearing around us.

Whitetailer

Hey Billy and all,

It is really raining here in the Keys too! At least my sinus's will rehydrate...... I was going to put my boat back in the water today, but with the rain and NO business, I will wait.

I expect to get up to plant next week also. I took my Honda Rancher in for maintenance before I left and still do not have it back. I hope those PWC mechanics can handle the job!!! Apparently the carburator has a heating element in it and it was "rotted out". (maybe I should not "float"through 2 foot deep water) That is that part they are waiting for. The landlord has his four plots planted, and one of the guys has overseeded with Biologic Full Draw. That stuff is expensive, but it really grows well and stays til late season. I hope I can scratch up some areas with my atv disk and plant some Oats and Soybeans and some Secret Spot.
If/when it stops raining I think I will design a pull behind ground blind for my 4-wheeler. Kind of a blind on skids so I can just hook it up and tow it anywhere I need to!?!??

Yeah, I will post Yellowstone pic's when i get to it. New avatar from the trip.....

Whitetailer

billy336

Another successful weekend. All of the mowing is now finished. All the shooting lanes are cleaned up. Seed hits the dirt Saturday morning. Gives us two weeks of sprout to hunt over on the 20th. With the severity of the drought, I can't believe how the acorns are doing. Big fat and sassy, ready to fall. 3 does seen by a member out for a walk Sunday morning. All I saw was a chainsaw, loppers, tractor, and bushhog. Anyone out in the woods this weekend? Weather was sure nice.

Whitetailer

Planting midweek.

Leaving tomorrow early for my 8 1/2 hr. drive to camp!
Can not wait to see the property after the pines have been thinned. I am planning on stopping at Adel feed and seed to get my seeds. Got 10-10-10- @ Hm. Depot for $6.19 per 40 # bag. Will get a half ton of lime in my pick up from Jernigans in Alapaha and its just alot of sweat after that!!!!

Whitetailer

billy336

Russ, I was at Adel feed this past Saturday. One HOT little redhead working it there. Wanted to throw her in the truck along with everything else.